Northern California Northern California

Shakedown pass in my Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey everyone - This is not the attention Vette Magic deserves. Let cooler heads prevail and lets just have some fun.

With that said I have plenty of spots for help on this project. Any takers???
Old 03-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Gerughty
Not true. I'll be running well in my LS3 and I will not be kicked out nor will anyone else if they comply with NHRA guidelines. I just posted the rules and drag radials and fast cars are allowed. In fact Bracket 1 is for cars faster than 11.5 seconds. If you are faster than 11.50 you just have the proper NHRA rollcage and safety equipment.

P.S. If you have N02, please pull the bottle before you come to the track.

Chuck Gerughty
Chairman - Vette Magic
Director - Motorsports
NCCA
Hey Chuck - what I meant to say was, those motors coupled with drag radials are probably expected to run sub-11.5. If they *aren't* equipped with a roll cage, they'll most likely have to dial back or stop running.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:00 AM
BIG GUN
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nick - Congrats on getting the car to the track. Sounds like it's going to be a beast!

Re: Vette Magic...
I'm looking forward to attending as I've missed this event the last 2 years. I understand your obligations to NHRA tech, but the message needs to be "we look forward to everyone attending and will do everything possible to provide a well prepared track and a safe racing environment". Most guys that run <11.5 know what's up. If the rules are rubbed in the faces of customers and the focus is attendance only, then this is just a car show at the dragstrip. As such, all the racers will pass..

Rich, you wanna race 1/8th mile? I ran a hardcore 11.41 @ 87 last trip to infineon..
Old 03-24-2010, 11:21 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by BIG GUN
Nick - Congrats on getting the car to the track. Sounds like it's going to be a beast!

I'm looking forward to attending as I've missed this event the last 2 years. I understand your obligations to NHRA tech, but the message needs to be "we look forward to everyone attending and will do everything possible to provide a well prepared track and a safe racing environment". Most guys that run <11.5 know what's up. If the rules are rubbed in the faces of customers and the focus is attendance only, then this is just a car show at the dragstrip. As such, all the racers will pass..

Rich, you wanna race 1/8th mile? I ran a hardcore 11.41 @ 87 last trip to infineon..

Haha. With DR's I might stand a half *** chance to the 1/8th.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:59 AM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Chuck, since you stepped in, I have to ask... What is the plan for track prep this year? It can't have escaped you that there was holy hell on here last year over the poor (read: dangerous) track prep. Do we have a firm commitment this year to properly prep the track in order to create a safer racing environment?

In case you missed the conversation I am talking about...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/nort...ic-2009-a.html
Old 03-24-2010, 12:15 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by doje
Chuck, since you stepped in, I have to ask... What is the plan for track prep this year? It can't have escaped you that there was holy hell on here last year over the poor (read: dangerous) track prep. Do we have a firm commitment this year to properly prep the track in order to create a safer racing environment?

I know it is going to be better this year. I spoke with Chuck yesterday and there is plans to use more then double the amount of VHT as last year as well as additional prep the night before. There are plans to have 2 additional track personel there the morning of the event to prep the track and lay down a full 55 gallon drum of sticky stuff. We (Abel Chevy) is hoping to sponsor the event and help with the additional funds needed for the drum of traction compound if NCCA wishes.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I know it is going to be better this year. I spoke with Chuck yesterday and there is plans to use more then double the amount of VHT as last year as well as additional prep the night before. There are plans to have 2 additional track personel there the morning of the event to prep the track and lay down a full 55 gallon drum of sticky stuff. We (Abel Chevy) is hoping to sponsor the event and help with the additional funds needed for the drum of traction compound if NCCA wishes.
Then I am definitely in. I'm thinking the new setup will be real close to sending me home early. I guess we'll find out.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

and "we at NCCA look forward to everyone attending and will do everything possible to provide a well prepared track and a safe racing environment".
Old 03-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by doje

Additional personal will be on hand to make sure the track is swept the night before and the morning of. With Abel stepping up to the plate we now have two sponsors that have agreed to provide sponsorship of additional VHT.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:36 AM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Jeez Nick look at what you started LOL

all I can say is I know Jeanne the lady who spun a 180 in the right lane will be back with her stock C5 AND I know for sure now with all this positive talk I will be coming to have fun again

Pops
Old 03-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Steve@RSD
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I'll take that 1/8 mile Race. We could have some fun. Twin Turbos against a little Maggie.....

Steve
Old 03-25-2010, 11:35 AM
BIG GUN
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve@RSD
I'll take that 1/8 mile Race. We could have some fun. Twin Turbos against a little Maggie.....

Steve
DONE!

I have a new clutch and I'm ready to rock... You might want to bring a smaller pulley?

My car really wakes up on the big end so an 1/8th mile race will be a fun challenge.

Hope to make it to Infineon before June but Vette Magic is going on the calendar.

Last edited by BIG GUN; 03-25-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:27 PM
shamis935
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

roll cages are for the drivers benefit, not the track officials.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by shamis935
Opps no beers allowed
Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Steve@RSD
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

DONE!

I have a new clutch and I'm ready to rock... You might want to bring a smaller pulley?

My car really wakes up on the big end so an 1/8th mile race will be a fun challenge.

Hope to make it to Infineon before June but Vette Magic is going on the calendar.
Cool,
I don't want any part of that 1/4 mile of yours. The best I ever ran was 11.22@123 and I know your MPH will kill me at the big end. But a friendly little race to the 660 might be fun!
I already have the smallest pulley this motor will get. 10lbs is pushing my luck as it is.

Hope to see you at Infineon before then though!
Steve
Old 03-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by shamis935
Who do you recommend for the install?
Old 03-29-2010, 05:22 PM
BIG GUN
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve@RSD
Cool,
I don't want any part of that 1/4 mile of yours. The best I ever ran was 11.22@123 and I know your MPH will kill me at the big end. But a friendly little race to the 660 might be fun!
I already have the smallest pulley this motor will get. 10lbs is pushing my luck as it is.

Hope to see you at Infineon before then though!
Steve
Sounds like fun Steve. I'm always up for a friendly race and it's more fun to line up with a comparable car. I'm always surprised how few decent runs I get at Infineon... I always seem to line up with an SUV or a 13-14 second car.

I've got 25 runs on my M/T drag radials and maybe 500 street miles and I'm seeing some cords. I'll pick up a new set but I think these can make a final trip to the track. Let me know when you are heading out to Infineon and I'll see if I can join you.

I know I've seen your car a few times but I can't recall if your are auto or 6-speed?
Anyway, hope to see you soon at the track.
Scott

Get notified of new replies

To Shakedown pass in my Z06

Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by thesubfloor
So now that Chuck has clarified the rules you must be feeling pretty stupid right about now, huh?
No it just sounds like Chuck has a new guy to run tech this year to me. Good luck withthe event.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:04 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
No it just sounds like Chuck has a new guy to run tech this year to me. Good luck withthe event.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:43 PM
jcb5565
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need to clarify when a roll bar and roll cage is required. This is from the 2010 NHRA rulebook. Roll bar is required between 11.49 to 10.00 on enclosed cars, exceptions to this is convertibles, must have a roll bar at 13.49 ET or quicker, cars running over 135 mph in the 1/4 mile must have a cage.

Any car running 9.99 ET or 135 MPH and faster must have a cage.

Quick Reply: Shakedown pass in my Z06