Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Hummer H2... anyone own one...opinions etc...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 06:01 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Hummer H2... anyone own one...opinions etc...

Well as I posted in a couple of other threads we are thinking of getting rid of the ole lady's Explorer and replacing it with a bigger or faster SUV (thinking hard about the TBSS as well). First off we live a block from the train station and she takes the train so her 05 explorer only has 13K miles so gas mileage isnt much of a concern but I would like to know what you guys are averaging anyway. Any specific problems to look out for??? Overall opinion of the car would be great. I tow 2 Jet skis just about every weekend over the summer ( Sea Doo RXP and a Sea Doo RXT on a double place trailer....about 2000 lbs total). I also have a 8x13 Haulmark Low Hauler double axle motorcycle trailer that gets towed a handful of time over the year. So any feedback on towing would also be fantastic.

Thanks in advance

Mike
Old 04-06-2007, 05:05 PM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Well an unlce of mine has an 05' that we did plenty of customizing to, and it actually has been a pretty good vehicle with no major problems. I believe it gets about 10 miles per gallon.

I have driven it alot and honestly I would get an escalade over a hummer any day. The Escalade is just much more luxurious than the H2.

And Im speaking of the now "old body" escalade. I haven't driven the new body 07's yet. I can only imagine how much nicer they are. The Navigators are pretty nice as well, and im sure they both get better mileage than the H2.

Don't have a clue about towing.

Good Luck.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:21 PM
OneBadZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Get the TBSS. 400 HP, better MPG, better ride, can tow what you need. Based on how gas prices are going, you wont be able to give that H2 away in 3-5 years.

I love my SS.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:42 AM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by myblackc6
Get the TBSS. 400 HP, better MPG, better ride, can tow what you need. Based on how gas prices are going, you wont be able to give that H2 away in 3-5 years.

I love my SS.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myblackc6

I love my SS.
I'm with you on the TBSS. I really like mine a lot.

Hummers are a little over the Top for me. Kinda bling. I would talke the new Tahoe over that any day if I needed a bigger SUV than the SS.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Eric Eiland
Advanced

Hummer H2 owner here...and absolutely enjoy this vehicle as a daily driver. No big problems to speak of so far with 43,000 miles on the odometer. For a better perspective on ownership, I'd recommend checking out the H2 forum at http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/ .

Also, if you're considering purchasing an H2 down the road, you might want to wait until the new 2008 models arrive with some exterior updates, redesigned interior, available 3rd row bench seat, larger 6.2L 8-cyl. engine, and new 6-speed transmission.

Even the '08 Hummer H3 Alpha is supposed to get the 5.3L 8-cyl. engine (a la Tahoe, etc.).

I plan to trade the H2 in for the new model after giving them a year to work the kinks out.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:26 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Cruise-In XI Veteran

Eric... thanks for the insight from an actual owner (I appreciate the opinions of the others here as well). We are looking at 2006 used vehicles with 5-12K miles for mid 40's in terms of price (quite a few around here for that) and these are all at Hummer dealers so we are looking at a certified warranty for 6yrs/100K miles bumper to bumper. Not that Im really concerned about economy since the overall mileage on this vehicle will be kept low but what type of fuel mileage have you experienced both city/highway with yours.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2007, 06:59 PM
trakhore
Navigator

Default Tbss!!

I have an '07 TBSS and wouldn't trade it for anything near the price they are going for. It is a great all around vehicle, no doubt about it.

My Dad has an '07 Avalanche loaded to the gills and it is a phenominal truck as well. I believe the Escalades have the bigger engine and a 6sp auto as the only major differences mechanically. If you need the size, I would highly recommend the Caddy over any Hummer.

I personally think the Hummers (all of them) are overpriced for what you get. I got my '07 AWD TBSS loaded with everything but nav and rear DVD for $34k out the door on a near $40k sticker. Can't beat it for that price.

I live in the middle of the city, so on 95% city driving I'm getting about 12mpg with a pretty heavy foot.

Last edited by trakhore; 04-09-2007 at 07:00 PM. Reason: MPG figure
Old 04-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Eric Eiland
Advanced

According to the onboard computer, mine typically averages 13 mpg around town with "conservative" driving. Never paid too much attention to highway fuel mileage though as I rarely take long trips -- will have to check on this next time.

Sounds like some fair deals on those '06 models...and I'd certainly recommend taking advantage of the certified warranty. The '06 will already have many of the little "issues" associated with the earlier H2's addressed such as windshield trim updated, side view mirrors updated, newer interior styling, newer OnStar version, etc.

Couple of the potential "biggie" issues that H2's face are possible pitman arm failure / replacement and transmission cooler / radiator failure / replacement -- and both of these can be upgraded with better aftermarket items available specifically for the H2's. They have been outlined in detail on the Hummer forums.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:39 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Cruise-In XI Veteran

I hear what you guys are saying about the TBSS and I agree its bang for the buck a great SUV but we are looking for something a bit bigger and I want something that actually has selectable 4 wheel drive (not all wheel drive like the TBSS, Escalade and Denali). We also like the uniqueness of the H2 since you dont see yourself coming and going nearly as much as if you have an Escalade or Denali and the distinction between the TBSS and a regular TB is minimal. I also like the way the H2 is pretty much overbuilt in terms of chassis and suspension, if you dont off road the hell out of it Im sure it will hold up better than any other SUV on the road in terms of overall tightness after a bunch of miles. Contrary to what some say about the H2 being worth nothing with the high gas prices.... they seem to hold thier value better than any other SUV on the market right now, they take a bit of a hit from new to lightly used and after that they depreciate very slowly compared to other SUV's on the market. We are pretty much sold on the H2 and have about 3 of them tracked down with the colors, options and miles we are looking for, just gotta sit down and do the final number crunching and see who is gonna give us the best deal. THanks again to everyone who posted, its always good to get opinions and experience from others when possible. If anyone else has anything to add Im certainly all ears

Thanks
Old 04-10-2007, 04:27 PM
CropDuster
Safety Car

Why do you need the selectable 4WD vs AWD? Just preference? My dad drives a 2003 AWD Escalade and pulls a 18' double-axle Ranger bass boat through the mountains up in NC just fine with it if you're worried about anything like that with your jet skis. He has considered trading it for a Hummer or a new Silverado though, mainly because of the fact that Escalades have turned into a "thug" ride around here, and his being black doesn't help.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:12 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Cruise-In XI Veteran

Originally Posted by CropDuster
Why do you need the selectable 4WD vs AWD? Just preference? My dad drives a 2003 AWD Escalade and pulls a 18' double-axle Ranger bass boat through the mountains up in NC just fine with it if you're worried about anything like that with your jet skis. He has considered trading it for a Hummer or a new Silverado though, mainly because of the fact that Escalades have turned into a "thug" ride around here, and his being black doesn't help.
When it does snow I would much rather have true 4 wheel drive vs. AWD, it seems to want to understeer much more for some reason and you almost have to throttle through the turns (with AWD), I do also like the fact that you can select low range 4wd should you get into something with a severely steep incline with a trailer in place. We have also contemplated purchasing a power boat that would be at least 24 feet (looking to do this sometime in the future) but again with some of the launch ramps around here.... full time 4 wheel and low range could come in quite handy. I do like the Escalade and Denali no doubt at all (in terms of comparable larger SUV's) but around here you see 3 at every stop light... not to mention at least 4 of our friends drive Escalades, when we get together it would look like a Cadillac sales meeting
Old 04-12-2007, 01:27 AM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I get it. Get the H2, you won't be dissapointed with it. I like the stealth green. looks a bit like a military vehicle.

good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Hummer H2... anyone own one...opinions etc...

Quick Reply: Hummer H2... anyone own one...opinions etc...