Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2009 Nissan GT-R U.S. pricing announced at $69,850

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 12:12 AM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kentz06

If these specifications are correct:

Z06:
3200#
505hp
6.34#/hp

GT-R:
3800#
480hp
7.92#/hp

This puts the Nissan at a 25% weight to HP disadvantage to the Z???

Physics is physics...

Dean
The power-to-weight ratio is not even as good as a C5Z much less a C6Z.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:38 AM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, they're trying, but it's still just plain gross. And I have a TT 300 ZX track ready.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:57 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm going to scream, enough with the GTR already
Old 11-16-2007, 01:00 AM
O7zeeO6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Until test results are in, this discussion will remain for the bench racers. Who would have thought that the 405 HP LS 2 can equal the performance of the 500 HP Shelby GT (or whatever its called), or that the the 600 HP Viper can only manage to be .1 seconds faster than a 505 HP Z06 on 1/4 mile? This is why mathematicians will never be rich. Calculations can never predict exactly what will happen in the future

I do like the the interior quality, and being partial to Japanese quality of work, I know this is a very well put together car. But will it outperform my Z? This remains to be seen.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:48 AM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteship
I'm going to scream, enough with the GTR already
Were you saying "enough with this new C6Z06 alread" prior to it arriving at the dealerships? If you recall, there was a ton of build up and hype back then for it as well.

Vette guys will be Vette guys and only buy Vettes and that's cool. Just feel honored that all of the new performance cars are comparing themselves to the Z06 and Porsches.....that says alot in and of itself.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:52 AM
MyBeaches
Pro

Originally Posted by Mercennarius
Taken from the LA autoshows press release:

"GT-R is a multi-dimensional performance machine that lives up to the concept of "the ultimate supercar that can be driven by anyone, anytime, anywhere" and achieved a lap time of 7:38 around the famed Nürburgring Nordschleife, one of the fastest times achieved by a production-spec vehicle to date."
It came straight from the CEO's mouth. "near production". I'm sure there is a tape of it somewhere on you tube or something. I would take his word over some copy writer for the PR department.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:04 AM
Blk03Z06
Racer

I guess you don't spend much time on Wall Street.

[QUOTE=O7zeeO6;1562773109] This is why mathematicians will never be rich. Calculations can never predict exactly what will happen in the future
Old 11-16-2007, 08:05 AM
MyBeaches
Pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoN4nCGQK74

Here it is. The CEO clearly says it was "near production spec". I wonder how much boost they turned up in the shop and what tires they used on that run.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:13 AM
Slowgoin
Burning Brakes

I think the seats in the car come with the holes for a harness belt system stock. Ready to go.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:14 AM
UTVOL06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Andi
You guys are in denial. Yes, it's fat. Yes, it's ugly. But yes, it is a major threat. Nürburgring times don't lie. Go watch the in-car video; it beat the z06 by almost 5 seconds. Nice to finally see competition.

Andi
who'd still rather have a z06 but I'm having a very hard time justifying it
Ok lets see a 3800lb car with 480hp and 430lbs tq

C6 Z06 3132lb car with 505hp and 470lbs tq

Do the math....

These cars will get ate up and spit out from a roll. I seriously doubt the Ring times are accurate given the cars stats.

Oh and the American version will have stricter emission standards so I'm not so sure it will even get 480hp over here.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:21 AM
wanaZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Andi
You guys are in denial. Yes, it's fat. Yes, it's ugly. But yes, it is a major threat. Nürburgring times don't lie. Go watch the in-car video; it beat the z06 by almost 5 seconds. Nice to finally see competition.

Andi
who'd still rather have a z06 but I'm having a very hard time justifying it
Go watch the video again. They start the timer at the END of the blue wall and they clearly stop it at the BEGINNING of the blue wall. If you go back to the beginning of the tape time it see how long it takes for the GT-R to go from the beginning of the blue wall to the end and see what you get…about 5-6 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGe_fyhQazg

Last edited by wanaZ; 11-16-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:52 AM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mercennarius
Wow....its great to know we have a physicist here with us . What formulas were you using again? Because i'm sure being as smart as you are you know that power to weight ratio is only a fraction of criteria in determining a cars ability to maneuver around a track. The GT3 has a closer power to weight ratio to the GTR then it does then Z06 yet it is STILL faster then the Z06 around the Nurburgring. Hmmmmm???

Porsche 997 GT3
3195lbs
415HP
7.69#/HP

7:42 @ Nurburgring

Some of you need to realize that when going around a track there is A LOT more involved then power to weight ratios...even in straight line acceleration power to weight is only a fraction of the equation. Gearing, down force, aerodynamics, torque curve, suspension layout, drive-train layout, power transfer dynamics, brakes, wheels, tires, etc. etc. list goes on all day long. A LT1 Camaro has a better power to weight ratio then the new Cobalt SS...do you think its faster around a track? **** no. The Cobalt SS has ran a 8:22 on the Nurburgring...I wouldnt expect the Camaro to pull better then a 8:32.
that the weight to HP ratio is only one piece of the speed pie, though it is a big piece. All the other GT-R systems are going to need to be significantly better than the competitions to make up this large begining deficit.

The GT-R is going to be a great car and will be a ton of fun to drive. I just think it is interesting to try and intelligently speculate on it's performance. I don't clain to be a physicist , this is just common sense. I can't wait to see a real one-on-one track test, totally stock US specifications.

Doesn't make any difference to me which one is faster. I believe we are all lucky to live in this "Golden Age" of high performance cars! Bring them all on!

Dean
Old 11-16-2007, 10:57 AM
JonnyRottenLA
Advanced

Originally Posted by MyBeaches
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoN4nCGQK74

Here it is. The CEO clearly says it was "near production spec". I wonder how much boost they turned up in the shop and what tires they used on that run.
Yes, I agree

He clearly says at the 2:58 mark "a near production GT-R set a lap time of 7:38."

Near Production = Not Stock
Old 11-16-2007, 12:14 PM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with many above that the true results are yet to be seen. One thing many people here are overlooking is the horsepower/torque ratings. Who says that they are not underrating its specs? There are many such reasons to do so, including insurance.

When my 335 twin turbo came out, the same performance questions were asked. When dynoed, the horsepower and torque ratings were very near the real world rear wheel numbers, which could explain alot.

These are completely different cars, and technologically vastly different. I don't think Nissan would blatantly lie, because if they did they will be exposed. Orders for the GTR are already 10x predicted monthly units in Japan.

I don't think that Nissan was ever comparing itself directly to the C6Z06, yet many people here seem to be very disconcerted about its likely abilities.

I will just take both! The GTR will be a fine car, as it is jig assembled, and the drivetrains hand assembled. For this price it IS a bargain, and I can put my kids in it.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:33 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart20
Were you saying "enough with this new C6Z06 alread" prior to it arriving at the dealerships? If you recall, there was a ton of build up and hype back then for it as well.

Vette guys will be Vette guys and only buy Vettes and that's cool. Just feel honored that all of the new performance cars are comparing themselves to the Z06 and Porsches.....that says alot in and of itself.
OK, I'm screaming as I type.
I understand what you're saying, ... but...Being it's a CORVETTE forum, no, I wasn't saying enough .. with the ZO6 already, and why should I ? But last I checked this is not the GTR forum
Old 11-16-2007, 12:35 PM
steveorz
Racer

The ZO6 is still the KING...but it is nice to see some other performance cars on the market....a little competition never hurts us ZO6 guys since it helps keep GM on the mark.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Frenchican
Safety Car

I sat in that thing last night at the LA Auto Show... LOTS of plastic, kinda cheesy center stack too. Believe it or not, I thought he Z interior is better. Also, the front fenders look like ***.

Get notified of new replies

To 2009 Nissan GT-R U.S. pricing announced at $69,850

Old 11-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 110 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenchican
I sat in that thing last night at the LA Auto Show... LOTS of plastic, kinda cheesy center stack too. Believe it or not, I thought he Z interior is better. Also, the front fenders look like ***.
Ah, at last, the Japanese are learning from us
Old 11-16-2007, 01:52 PM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteship
OK, I'm screaming as I type.
I understand what you're saying, ... but...Being it's a CORVETTE forum, no, I wasn't saying enough .. with the ZO6 already, and why should I ? But last I checked this is not the GTR forum
Sit back, have a drink and relax man.

It happens on every forum. Its happening right now on 6speed, Rennlist, E90post, ViperAlley, et al as well as here re: the GTR.

Yes, I realize this is a Corvette Forum (I've been here for a number of years). We were reading about the Z06 on the NON Vette forums just like this ad nauseum. It's called potential competition. Now, whether the GTR will be DIRECT competition for the Z06 remains to be seen.

Last edited by ALMS21; 11-16-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:15 PM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wanaZ
Go watch the video again. They start the timer at the END of the blue wall and they clearly stop it at the BEGINNING of the blue wall. If you go back to the beginning of the tape time it see how long it takes for the GT-R to go from the beginning of the blue wall to the end and see what you get…about 5-6 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGe_fyhQazg
This has been gone over before. This is a traditional NBR lap due to safety concerns I believe.

Quick Reply: 2009 Nissan GT-R U.S. pricing announced at $69,850