Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

My Solstice vs. Vette review

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Don LT-1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with your new car. If you can give up
your vette for anything else you're not a real vette
person. There is not a car out there I woul rather
have under $150,000. I will never be vettless.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,068 Likes on 592 Posts

I'm glad that you are happy with your decision. Personally, I really like the Solstice & also the Sky too. Plus my wife always reminds me that since I'm now out of work I could & should trade the Vette for a Solstice & have zero car payments. Well, that's NOT gonna happen. However, I would imagine liking one alot & the idea is interesting. The down side is this: 1.) not nearly enough horsepower and torque, no matter what you say; 2.) not nearly enough luggage space between the coupe & the Solstice; 3.) looks ARE subjective, but, to me there is NO contest here & finally; 4.) gas mileage & class do matter to me. Good luck though with your ride!
Old 02-13-2008, 01:42 PM
BigButtLover
Safety Car

Received 484 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Glad you like it. It's your money.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:43 PM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks for the review... But you are on a corvette form.. so...........PUT THE CRACK PIPE DOWN AND STEP AWAY! Your new car is a 4 cylinder "my daughter has a sports car" car! It's not even on the same planet as a vette!!!! Try to sell tour car 10 years from now. Ha! it might be worth 2 bucks. You remember the last 2 seater, 4 cylender car Pontiac made..Ferro or something like that! You can't give one away. I am glad you are happy with your new Tonka toy, but you can';t compair apples w/ oranges......
Old 02-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

I didn't think these two cars could be compared other than they both have 2 doors and seat two

glad you're happy with your choice (althought the Sky is much more appealing imo

why not the Cayman?
Ted
Old 02-13-2008, 01:51 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

great review and write up. I enjoy reading about other sport/performance cars. I am already reading about, with great interest, the Cadillac coupe for 2010 Supercharged 6.2L, 550 HP.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:55 PM
autox c6
Racer

Thanks for the review. There are a couple of things I can't agree with, however. One is the linear power delivery - with a turbo and the associated lag, there is no chance the power delivery is as linear as the corvette's V8 with it's very flat torque curve. The torque curve of the Solstice may appear relatively flat on a dyno, but because of the time factor, not shown on a dyno, things become very non-linear in real world driving conditions. Second is the handling. Ever go to an autocross? It's one of the best venues to test true handling, because HP is much less of a factor since there is rarely a straight section. There is a reason all C6 corvettes are in Super Stock and the Solstice GXP is in A-Stock. There is no universe where the Solstice could catch a Vette on the track, driver being equal, etc. You may like the way it feels more, but if you and a Vette were in the same class, you'd be in deep trouble.

Thanks again for your review though. A good read.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:57 PM
From C6ZO62C8
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MSC6
I have to say I respect your opinion and detailed comparison but you could not GIVE me a Solstice. I dreamed about owning a Corvette for 21 years because it was a Corvette. People always seem to be drawn to it and know exactly what it is, a Corvette. Everyone has their own opinion, obviously, and all that matters is that you are happy with your decision. For me, I'll keep the Vette !

but really can you compare a C6 to a Solstice

and must be talking about an auto-x, and yes a miata or solstice is going to do better on a tight auto-x course than a vette but on a road course or track, you'll be wishing you had a vette again.

but anyway congrats on trading your c6 for a Soltice , I think
Old 02-13-2008, 01:57 PM
markabc6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for you...not everyone can step away and say they made the right choice.

Most of the time, people move up the food chain, or simply couldn't afford their payments, or perhaps like to trade and "try out" different options on a regular basis. Usually, it's due to life changes.

No disrespect intended, but good luck on wringing out 300+ HP (and/or maybe more) and keeping it together for a long time on a 2L. I'm not saying it can't be done, but again, good luck with that.

You can proudly say you have owned a Corvette.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:59 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Solstice GXP is a nice car as well as the Saturn Sky Redline but sorry not in the class of a Vette. The Solstice is compared to the Mazda MX-5, Toyota MR2, BMW Z4. The Vette is in the class of the Ferrari 430, Aston Martin V8 Vantage and Audi R8.

Mike, not sure about a Vette running out of power at 5000 rpm when the 400 hp is based at around 6000 rpm.

Glad you are enjoying the car, but I will always have a Vette, learned my lesson on that as I had a lot of fun cars but nothing can compare to the Vette.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:00 PM
OzCop
Melting Slicks

I've driven the NA version of the Solstice, and while I think it's an ok rag-top, parts-bin car, it is far too cramped in the interior, and lacks substantial luggage space...as in NONE with the top down. I found myself sitting way to low in the seat, almost stretching to rest my arm/elbow on the window opening, and I'm 6'1" tall. Can't take anything away from it in the handling department, but the na version is way short on power for me. Having one with an automatic would be excruiating for me since I get bored if I don't have to shift gears...

Glad you like yours and hope you still like it a year or so down the road.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Montero1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Congrats

It's good you found something you're happy with- I'm like you in the way I get bored with a car after a while and want to try something different......I'm Unlike you in the way that I'd part with my Vette!

I'm a lifer.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:04 PM
nightmel
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

HUH!!!!

Can't understand the reasoning. But to each their own!
Old 02-13-2008, 02:08 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Next up - compare Corvette to Miata...

LOL!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 02:09 PM
autox c6
Racer

Originally Posted by Spearfisher
and must be talking about an auto-x, and yes a miata or solstice is going to do better on a tight auto-x course than a vette
Nope. Ever look at the classing structure of SCCA autocrossing? All C6s are in the highest stock class, Super Stock, for a reason. Sure, they have muscle, but they also have a low center of gravity, stiff suspension, wide tires, and proper suspension geometry. You don't find any Miatas or Solstice in Super Stock, because they wouldn't stand a chance.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:13 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Glad you are happy with your decision. I was strongly considering a GXP before my Vette purchase. The fact that I couldn't fit in the car with the top up was the deal breaker for me.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:17 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i have a c6 and wife has the girly solstice. every where she goes men love that car, and she even says that's a girls car, i have driven it many times, and it handles no where near the vette, the only difference is you can feel the road in the wheel it feels great but just an illusion if you look at the speedometer on the turns you will see it cant corner half as fast as the vette, and visibility is very poor with the top up if you are over 5.6 ft

Get notified of new replies

To My Solstice vs. Vette review

Old 02-13-2008, 02:18 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by georgvette
I've recently jumped from an RX8 to a Boxster to the C6. There are still things I like about all of them. I just like "cars" in general. Right now the C6 is where I want to be, but I know I'll be off to something else in a couple years. Enjoy the Solstice!!!
You know, that's probably a better description of where I am right now than everything else I wrote! My wife and I are both car people and we tend to keep cars only a couple of years before we start looking again. The C6 actually did quite well. Took me longer to get bored with that car than any other I've had. Perhaps in another year, I'll see something I like even better than the Solstice. I'm still drooling over the prospect of whatever the C7 will be! I remember in 2003 when car mags were all trying to guess what the C6 would look like. One magazine posted these (I think it was Car and Driver):

I still remain disappointed that the C6 didn't look more like that... and less like the typical sports car door wedge. So you can see why I like the Solstice.

Mike
Old 02-13-2008, 02:22 PM
rbarreda
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stop....sit back....think about it......it is a SOLSTICE. nuff said....
Old 02-13-2008, 02:27 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spearfisher

but really can you compare a C6 to a Solstice
Sorry, but I think I just did!

Mike