Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Nissan 370Z "Best sports car for the money"

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 12:30 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
And who on this board pay MSRP for a Vette, I know I did not and I will smoke that ricer anyday at the track of course, and they are short on looks for me, kind of like the GTR is on looks
so you can smoke a 3.7 liter V6 with your 6.2 liter V8?? Impressive
Old 03-11-2009, 12:32 PM
FuRy117
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChefMark
UGGGG The 370 is a POS IMO. Why would you buy it over a American made car
I hope more people take up that attitude since most people have a stereotypically bad view of American cars because of the last ~20yrs.

With things being as tough as they are for the country/american auto industry right now I like my "Union built in Kentucky" sticker in the door jam.

Originally Posted by maxp
so you can smoke a 3.7 liter V6 with your 6.2 liter V8?? Impressive
I had this attitude when I had my EVO. Then after coming from a 475whp EVO that was limited by gearing/weight/aero I found that the engine is not what makes most Vettes fast. It's the fact that it's 3100lbs with a well matched gear set and a low drag coefficient.

Last edited by FuRy117; 03-11-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by designerRob
IMO it looks like a typical Japanese sports car, boring.
I would use the word bland over boring.

Car & Driver is no friend of American cars. The pages are usually filled with a bias towards America and her companies.
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
considering it is less money, it could very well be, if that's all you can afford. no dispute with it being a good car, just not for me.
it is made for someone about half the age of the C6 driver
Old 03-11-2009, 12:37 PM
richhoff
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by maxp
it is made for someone about half the age of the C6 driver
You didn't just call most of us old, did you??
Old 03-11-2009, 12:39 PM
BrianH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty nice little car, I want to go test drive one but I'm afraid that if I do I'd wind up driving it home.
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Mr_Mustang
Have you guys seen this new 370Z. Looks like alot of bang for the buck. Car and driver is calling it the best sports car for the money. I thought that was a title the C6 had. Or maybe a C6 would be "performance of a car costing twice as much". Either way it looks like Nissan has a winner, not too sure about the styling though.

C&D says that about every manufacturer's sports car at some time. So does MT, R&T and just about every other magazine.

It's called advertising dollar renvenue.

FWIW my right foot absolutely loves the tall skinny pedal on the rh side of the driver's floor of the vette. It doesn't seem to be looking anywhere else.
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I had this attitude when I had my EVO. Then after coming from a 475whp EVO that was limited by gearing/weight/aero I found that the engine is not what makes most Vettes fast. It's the fact that it's 3100lbs with a well matched gear set and a low drag coefficient.[/QUOTE]

Very well put and for grins you can slap on turbo on the 370z to get with my Vette and then it cost so much more than my C6, that is unless I need boost, oh I got that already covered
Old 03-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BrianH
Pretty nice little car, I want to go test drive one but I'm afraid that if I do I'd wind up driving it home.
Really? I thought of this more of a girly car than a real sports car. Or maybe a girly sports car. Looks very feminine. I can see it being a hit with the under 30 female crowd.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:44 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FuRy117
I disagree, Infiniti/Nissan do a much better job protecting the value of their cars while Chevy is willing to discount well below MSRP.
Well... I kind of disagree ... While GM plays more games with their value under MSRP... They manage to keep raising the prices so it comes out a wash... as opposed to Nissan having a lower MSRP and not moving it.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:44 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

I owned a 350Z prior to my purchase of a 2008 Vette. Although I have nothing negative to say about the Z, I will say in power, and looks the Z is not in the same league. The Z is a fun car for the money.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:46 PM
ramrodw30
Pro

Originally Posted by Blue Demon Owner
Went with a friend to look at them for him..... It may be cheaper than our C6's, but it certainly doesn't look as good, and doesn't perform as well (per car reviews, not from driving) IMO.

My friend is now looking for a 08-09 C6. The drive with me back from the Nissan dealer did it!

Friends don't let friends drive rice...
Old 03-11-2009, 12:47 PM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

Since no one has done it yet, here's a pic:

The styling isn't even in the same league as a Vette IMHO. To each his own, but this car can't hold a candle to our C6s (or C5s for that matter!)
Old 03-11-2009, 12:49 PM
BrianH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Never Say Never
Really? I thought of this more of a girly car than a real sports car. Or maybe a girly sports car. Looks very feminine. I can see it being a hit with the under 30 female crowd.
I don't really worry about people and their stereotypes, if I was I'd be driving a lifted truck coated in Tapout stickers just to show how much of a badass I am. Instead I drive a corvette which people seem to have some equally foolish views pertaining to the average owner.

I choose vehicles based off their fun factor, the 350 was a fun vehicle and it sounds as if the 370 stepped that up quite a bit. It may not tear the ground out from under it from a stop like the C6 does, but .99g's on a skid should make it a pretty fun vehicle.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:50 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwoerheide
Since no one has done it yet, here's a pic:

The styling isn't even in the same league as a Vette IMHO. To each his own, but this car can't hold a candle to our C6s (or C5s for that matter!)
Spot on not in the same league in looks with our C6 or C5s for sure and it is rice
Old 03-11-2009, 12:50 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

I'm not going to take anything away from the 370. I haven't driven one yet. I'm sure it's a fine car.

But, I have yet to hear a V-6 sound as good as a V-8, and I've yet to see a car with a V-6 have the bottom-end torque and gearing to match the vette - and those are dynamics that really make the "feel" of a car.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BrianH
I don't really worry about people and their stereotypes, if I was I'd be driving a lifted truck coated in Tapout stickers just to show how much of a badass I am. Instead I drive a corvette which people seem to have some equally foolish views pertaining to the average owner.

I choose vehicles based off their fun factor, the 350 was a fun vehicle and it sounds as if the 370 stepped that up quite a bit. It may not tear the ground out from under it from a stop like the C6 does, but .99g's on a skid should make it a pretty fun vehicle.
Yeah, but look at that picture above your post and tell me that is not a girls car. Rather bland and kind of ugly car also.

Get notified of new replies

To Nissan 370Z "Best sports car for the money"

Old 03-11-2009, 12:53 PM
GREENTAHOE
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Never Say Never
I agree. I'm sure it could add some points to a cute female driver, much like the Bullit Mustang my g/f drives. I have a good friend who is the GM of the local Nissan Dealership. I went to talk with him and saw the 370Z and said that it looked like a cool car. His words exactly were "ya, its OK, its slow and takes a lot of the skill out of driving and for the money it sure isn't a vette. I checked and I can get a new C6 for about 6-7K more. I guess I just don't see the value. If you want to look at value that way, take the bus.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:53 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FuRy117
I had this attitude when I had my EVO. Then after coming from a 475whp EVO that was limited by gearing/weight/aero I found that the engine is not what makes most Vettes fast. It's the fact that it's 3100lbs with a well matched gear set and a low drag coefficient.
So true.. just look at the specs on the Lotus Elise.. it's all about power to weight..
That said... the low end torque and instant throttle response of the mighty pushrod V8 makes it "special" over the V6.

I owned a 2007 Infinity G35S with the 3.5 at 306HP. The thing was quick considering it was pushing around the 3600+ pounds of luxo weight... Something like 0-60 in 5.0 flat.. I would imagine that number would be quite a bit better with only 3100 lbs to move around.. These performance oriented V6's are very impressive... and they sound descent too...
Old 03-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 867 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Mustang
Have you guys seen this new 370Z. Looks like alot of bang for the buck. Car and driver is calling it the best sports car for the money. I thought that was a title the C6 had. Or maybe a C6 would be "performance of a car costing twice as much". Either way it looks like Nissan has a winner, not too sure about the styling though.
Mr._Mustang, Sales figures will determine if Nissan created a winner. I think they will sell a fair amount to those who are alrerady into the 350Z. However, styling is subjective and the 370Z is definately not for me.

Quick Reply: Nissan 370Z "Best sports car for the money"