Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Interesting conversation with a WRX Wagon owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS3 Mike
I won't argue about the WRX being ugly. I like the way mine looks but wouldnt describe it as a pretty car.

However, you are very narrow minded calling a turbo AWD car as a bland car. Comparing these cars to a Pinto/Vega shows a great deal of automotive retardation on your part. Probably one of the best vehicles for someone who can only afford one car and demands something thats fast and still handle the worst weather conditions. At one point in time I was in this position. Now I can afford a Vette. Still own the WRX because guess what...its actually a ton of fun to drive.

Show me another car that can run as fast on tarmac as it does on dirt. Just because they aren't the best cars at running in a straight line doesn't make them bland. Its more fun to pass a car in a corner than on the straight. But hey that takes some skill.
To you really live your life taking ever thing literally? Relax take it easy.

The WRX is a modern day Pinto or Vega. That is all I way saying. A ugly bland car anyone and I mean anyone with a few dollars can make fast. Just like way back when guys turned the Pinto & Vega into what they called Hot Rods. No shame in that at all.

Some of those little cars are cute like my girlfriend always says. And they are cute. No shame in having a cute little car either.
The point is you still have a ugly/bland fast car. It may be fun. Heck, go-carts and riding lawn mowers that are fast are fun also. Nothing wrong with having fun.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:59 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
AWD has its advantages especially on wet roads. However, the extra weight eventually takes its toll. A lot of small cars are quick off the line but gasping for the 1/4 mile.

A "My car with mods is faster than your car" talk is useless since everyone can mod their car. If they start talking "bigger turbos" and such, the C6 can have a couple spools in the back installed and easily make 600+ hp. A proper tune and all and it is easily in the ZR1 range. I can think of only a couple cars that would beat that and they are all extremely expensive exotics.
And there you hit on a very good point. One of the things I love about both my Vette and WRX is that they are performance bargains. Both cars bone stock are quick, fun, reliable, and even practical to some level. And sure, there are cars that are faster than them but those cars in question cost more. So if you spend even part of the cost difference to those faster cars on smart mods, those 'faster' cars are no longer that.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:12 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
To you really live your life taking ever thing literally? Relax take it easy.

The WRX is a modern day Pinto or Vega. That is all I way saying. A ugly bland car anyone and I mean anyone with a few dollars can make fast. Just like way back when guys turned the Pinto & Vega into what they called Hot Rods. No shame in that at all.

Some of those little cars are cute like my girlfriend always says. And they are cute. No shame in having a cute little car either.
The point is you still have a ugly/bland fast car. It may be fun. Heck, go-carts and riding lawn mowers that are fast are fun also. Nothing wrong with having fun.
Hey you can continue riding those opinions into the ground. I know that the words are coming from someone who understands very little about the vehicles in question. And I don't take everything literally. Being in the military I have a good grasp on not taking everything seriously. But you should know very well that insulting another car guys car is going to get them to stand up and defend.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Old 06-21-2009, 10:21 AM
BartonekDragRacing
Drifting

Originally Posted by cwdilg
Hey! Easy on the Pinto mods, I resemble that remark. Gigantic 6x9 speakers on the rear deck installed at Montgomery Ward's auto shop in Lakewood. Red leather lace-on steering wheel cover and red vinyl stripes along the door bottoms and Firestone 500's (the exploding kind) cost me quite a bit back in those days. But boy it sure ran quick!

To be honest.. If he was driving a pinto putting down 350 rwhp, I would be more interested in talking. Old cars are more impressive to me than WRX's, Lancers, 350Z's and all that other stuff.

EDIT: damn, you guys are already gettin all worked up??? LOL..

Last edited by BartonekDragRacing; 06-21-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:58 AM
paleale
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i too had a lightly modded WRX, see my sig pic. Sold it when i got the 08Z51. WRX was daily driver practical, and packed plenty of 'tude. They are 2 totally different cars no doubt, but i sorely miss the WRX when it comes time to garage the vette for the (long) winter.
These cars with a few mods and good launch technique are HARD to beat 0-60. after that the vette pulls ahead!
Old 06-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Hey you can continue riding those opinions into the ground. I know that the words are coming from someone who understands very little about the vehicles in question. And I don't take everything literally. Being in the military I have a good grasp on not taking everything seriously. But you should know very well that insulting another car guys car is going to get them to stand up and defend.
It's a WRX. Relax...What do you expect? I'm willing to bet chicks laugh at that car. If it looks like a duck and quacks like one..Well you know the rest.

One other note. You have this theory that if someonme does not like your little car they automatically know nothing about cars. This is at best ignorant. Most men do not like little cars. Just look around when your on the highway.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:46 PM
KevinZ51C6
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I see both points to this argument. Four years ago, I thought the WRX was awesome. Buddy had it modded close to 400 hp. Now, he has a C5 z06, and we both look back and laugh about the DSMs and Subarus we thought ruled the streets. Even if the Sti at the gas station is makin over 500awhp with meth and is trying to impress me, I'm just like okay, whatever.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:10 PM
2xmks
Racer

The beautiful thing I love about Evo's, WRX's, 3000GT's etc... is the AWD system. RWD just does not hold a candle to AWD as far as control goes IMO.

I am a huge fan of cars period. I can appreciate performance from any platform. I have a buddy with a SC Z06 that had his A@# handed to him by a Civic at the track. That I can appreciate.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2xmks
The beautiful thing I love about Evo's, WRX's, 3000GT's etc... is the AWD system. RWD just does not hold a candle to AWD as far as control goes IMO.

I am a huge fan of cars period. I can appreciate performance from any platform. I have a buddy with a SC Z06 that had his A@# handed to him by a Civic at the track. That I can appreciate.
Some guys have this theory if your a car guy you must like all cars. I think that is crazy. Cars are like women and music. Just because I like women does not mean I have to think Rosie Odonnell is attractive. Same with music. Because I like music does not mean I have to listen to Clay Aiken. So why is it some guys feel that in order to be a car guy you must like all cars? And if you dare not like their little car you are not a car guy. That is a joke.

Anyone can take any little car and make it fast. Whether it's a WRX, Civic, Pinto, or Prius. In the end you just have a fast little and often goofy looking little car.

The guy that got his a$$ handed to him but a Civic still gets to go home in a ZO6. The guy with the Civic gets to go home with that. I would bet someone could make a go cart that would be faster then the Civic. So what does that get him?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:57 PM
2xmks
Racer

So true. There is also a difference between liking the car and respecting the performance aspect of said car. Liking a car's style is to each there own. I know people that hate vettes, some vipers, some love pinto's etc...

My comment was not intended towards you. Just a general opinion to others who assume there car has the respect and liking of all because it is a vette and that all other cars a garbage.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2xmks
So true. There is also a difference between liking the car and respecting the performance aspect of said car. Liking a car's style is to each there own. I know people that hate vettes, some vipers, some love pinto's etc...

My comment was not intended towards you. Just a general opinion to others who assume there car has the respect and liking of all because it is a vette and that all other cars a garbage.
I see your point.

I like many cars. But, I probably dislike more cars then I like. I just have never liked small cars in any way shape or form. It is my opinion and I have never owned and GOD willing will never own a small car unless the government offers me no choice. That is the only scenario I ever see myself in a small car no matter how fast it is.

One other note: I respect the performance of any fast car. Even if it is relatively easy to achieve. I just do not have to like the way they look. For me a car should offer both performance and looks. And a car that can achieve that I truly respect.

Last edited by Vette Suspension; 06-21-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:22 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
It's a WRX. Relax...What do you expect? I'm willing to bet chicks laugh at that car. If it looks like a duck and quacks like one..Well you know the rest.

One other note. You have this theory that if someonme does not like your little car they automatically know nothing about cars. This is at best ignorant. Most men do not like little cars. Just look around when your on the highway.
Oh yeah I forgot that some people pick their car to compensate for their short comings in some departments. Also didn't say you know little because you don't agree but rather because in stating your opinions you sound ignorant. I'm glad that most of the users of this forum can make intelligent points of varying opinions without making an attempt to insult other people's opinions to try and validate their own egos.

That said this will be the last time I address your small comments as they are a waste of time.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Oh yeah I forgot that some people pick their car to compensate for their short comings in some departments. Also didn't say you know little because you don't agree but rather because in stating your opinions you sound ignorant. I'm glad that most of the users of this forum can make intelligent points of varying opinions without making an attempt to insult other people's opinions to try and validate their own egos.

That said this will be the last time I address your small comments as they are a waste of time.
Awww.. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings because I do not like your little car.

If however, you can find where it is written that a car guy must like every car please send me the link. Or where it is written that everyone must agree with you on which cars you like.

As for my ego. I don't like a little car and I have a ego? I have a passion for cars and realize the Vette is not the best car in the world. However, I have a passion for the Vette and many muscle cars and some of the great imports from Germany. But, in no way do I have to like a WRX or any car just because you say or do I need to sugar coat what I say so I don't offend you.

Funny how someone does not like your little car and you attack them.

I guess the next guy that thinks its a ugly little car should just tell you how awesome and cool the WRX is since your so sensitive.

Last edited by Vette Suspension; 06-21-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:17 PM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New WRX STi's are in the upper $30K's these days and after dropping $1000's in mods they are in base vette territory anyway so I don't see the performance bargain anywhere considering the looks and it's a friggin wagon. I know some are talking about the WRX and I can see that being a better deal. I agree AWD is great, for my wife's car and for my third car, but it doesn't come close to the pleasure of driving a high hp rwd car. For those that it does I can only guess they aren't very good/experienced at driving rwd to it's limits.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:36 PM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Originally Posted by danl72
Those little cars are pretty quick, but I thing when push comes to shove the C6 will win.
It will depend on the Driver.
Nothing is for sure!
Old 06-21-2009, 11:53 PM
07C680U
Instructor

I work with a guy who has an older WRX Sti.He educated me on the virtues of AWD.The more I learn about his car...the more I like it!He is also becoming a Corvette fan...see how it works?

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting conversation with a WRX Wagon owner

Old 06-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Each car has its pros & cons and we are comparing apples to oranges For me I'll take a Corvette any day yet I have friends who love the little AWD monsters because with a few mods & tires they can run mid 11 second quarter mile times
Old 06-22-2009, 01:09 AM
Metal Skull
Burning Brakes

If you put a ZR1 motor in a '87 Civic, it's still a nasty lookin' POS (no matter how fast it is). To each his own, but I think it's funny when guys try to make themselves feel better about having a car that gets less respect by talking it up. I would have chuckled too. Guys who know what a car like that is capable of will give props... but in no way does your average person see a WRX wagon rolling down the road, and turn and say 'wow'. In fact I see people laughing out loud at ricers all the time.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:11 AM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by suckaterrence
If you put a ZR1 motor in a '87 Civic, it's still a nasty lookin' POS (no matter how fast it is). To each his own, but I think it's funny when guys try to make themselves feel better about having a car that gets less respect by talking it up. I would have chuckled too. Guys who know what a car like that is capable of will give props... but in no way does your average person see a WRX wagon rolling down the road, and turn and say 'wow'. In fact I see people laughing out loud at ricers all the time.
Well said and some great points.

Quick Reply: Interesting conversation with a WRX Wagon owner