Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

GTS or SRT10 Viper owners?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:16 PM
B/Stock
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GTS or SRT10 Viper owners?

I'm thinking about getting a viper and have been looking at 97-98 GTS's and 03' SRT10"s. The car will be used mainly for weekend and occasional track use. Can any previous/past owners give me some insight on their experience with the viper? I was wondering if the srt is as reliable as the gts, also the performance of these at the track (how do they compare?). I would appreciate if some viper owners would chime-in.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:55 PM
ronniej
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I actually currently own one of both. I've never tracked either car or even raced for that matter, but I would rather the GTS. I look forward to driving it the most, but I do like the convertible also. Sorry, I'm not that helpful, but the GTS is just iconic!
Old 11-03-2009, 03:45 PM
FLATOUTVIPER
Racer

I own an 03 Vert and absolutely love it. It's kind of like the C5 C6 thing some C5 owners just don't like the C6 lines the Viper guys are the same.

I lowered my 03 threw some rims on it, and it totally changed the stance and look of the car. I love it and would only get rid of it for a Gen IV.

I drive mine all the time as well, and it runs great, also had it down the quarter, and on the road course at Texas World Speedway and it was a blast.

Andy
Old 11-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Those are good years ,forged pistons and forged rods vs cast pistons,rods on the SRT10. Since you plan on tracking the car. You can either upgrade to better brake pads and rotors. Or swap out the brakes with the SRT10 brakes. They are pretty much a direct bolton. Thats all you really need to do.

Modifying the motor for more power. This is where having the forged internals becomes an advantage. For a powerful naturally aspirated setup. You can do alot without worrying about the bottem end going kaboom on you. Stage 3 ported heads, milling the heads for higher compression, and camming that baby. There are 96-99 GTSs pushing 600rwhp naturally aspirated with the stock bottem end not even breaking a sweat.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:50 PM
JLC629
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ronniej
I actually currently own one of both. I've never tracked either car or even raced for that matter, but I would rather the GTS. I look forward to driving it the most, but I do like the convertible also. Sorry, I'm not that helpful, but the GTS is just iconic!
You'da man!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:48 PM
BSheppard
Pro

I was where you are a few years ago. I drove both several times and grew to like the GTS more. The SRT10 is a great car. I might end up with a IV gen ACR in the future but I will always keep my GTS. I went with a 2002 GTS. I liked the ABS and better interior. I will never add FI or big HP so the internals were not much of a draw for me. I did add a Corsa exhaust and highflow cats for a better sound and a little more HP. Oh and a skip shift eliminator. Has been a great car with few problems. In the end only a few long test drives will answer your question.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Nilater
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Viper Experiences

Personal ownership experience with multiple cars from 94 to 06. Each generation would bring more power to the table and a few more refinements. Mainly used as street cars, but tracked them all. Coupes are better cars for the track since you don't need a hard top or a roll bar as you do for a convertible. Vipers are basically race cars that are streetable and are much less refined than Vettes from a creature comfort stand point as well as a driver standpoint. All time favorite was a 96 Blue and White Coupe with the plate BRUTAL......that kind of says it all.

Good luck with your decision....
Old 11-05-2009, 09:49 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I have an '06 coupe. It has two mods, a catback exhaust and a Paxton supercharger kit. The Paxton is the kit right out of the box, without any upgrades or pulley swaps.

~700 rwhp SAE.

Not bad for two mods

The cars are super reliable, they are overbuilt and very sturdy. I prefer the SRT cars, driving the GTS feels like it is an older car with more squeaks and rattles. Looks are subjective, I like all of the coupes.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:15 PM
johncbourg
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by NineBall
I have an '06 coupe. It has two mods, a catback exhaust and a Paxton supercharger kit. The Paxton is the kit right out of the box, without any upgrades or pulley swaps.

~700 rwhp SAE.

Not bad for two mods

The cars are super reliable, they are overbuilt and very sturdy. I prefer the SRT cars, driving the GTS feels like it is an older car with more squeaks and rattles. Looks are subjective, I like all of the coupes.
Got to love it
Old 11-11-2009, 07:15 PM
B/Stock
Instructor

I looked at a perfect 97' GTS today. Anything I should look for or known issues? I am going to have a viper tech. inspect it this weekend.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:20 PM
FLATOUTVIPER
Racer

Originally Posted by B/Stock
I looked at a perfect 97' GTS today. Anything I should look for or known issues? I am going to have a viper tech. inspect it this weekend.
Have the tech look over it. Best of luck to you! Hope you get it post a pic when you do!

Andy
Old 11-12-2009, 08:35 PM
RED HAWK
Racer

The GTS has a much better race car feel than the SRT. The GTS is BRUTAL and in my opinion looks more exotic especially with the clam shell hood. The SRT is more refined. I prefer BRUTAL. Mine is highly modded including STOPTECH brakes. The Viper Tech will know what to look for. Make sure the 998 recall has been done especially if you're going to be tracking it. Good luck.

Last edited by RED HAWK; 11-12-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:13 PM
B/Stock
Instructor

RED HAWK, the 998 recall is a bit scary. As far as I can tell, they only made the repair if there were signs of cracking. It does not seem as though all frames and diffs. got the brackets welded in. This could be a serious problem being that I plan on going to the track. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by B/Stock; 11-15-2009 at 08:02 AM. Reason: added info
Old 11-15-2009, 02:39 PM
RED HAWK
Racer

RED HAWK, the 998 recall is a bit scary. As far as I can tell, they only made the repair if there were signs of cracking. It does not seem as though all frames and diffs. got the brackets welded in. This could be a serious problem being that I plan on going to the track. Thanks for the info.
They will do the 998 recall. Existing cracks are not required. Mine had no cracks and recall was completed with zero hassle. Only a few highly tracked cars with slicks had any cracks. I've since been tracking with no problems. Good luck. Post some pics if you pick up a Viper.

Last edited by RED HAWK; 11-15-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Viper_Vette
Pro

That is cool B. What color GTS did you find?
Old 11-17-2009, 05:01 AM
badass1g
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

if you want the viper for anything other than a race/track car, dont do it. i hated driving my srt-10 around town ESP in the summer i was always sweaty as hell. its an oven in those things. interior is hideous. all around the car sucks, but fun for track use, sold mine in a month no joke.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:00 AM
FLATOUTVIPER
Racer

Originally Posted by badass1g
if you want the viper for anything other than a race/track car, dont do it. i hated driving my srt-10 around town ESP in the summer i was always sweaty as hell. its an oven in those things. interior is hideous. all around the car sucks, but fun for track use, sold mine in a month no joke.
Dude you have to be kidding me. I live in Houston Texas and drive mine every chance I get which is most days and I have never experienced what your talking about. My wife actually finds it more comfortable than my old C5 because the seats have so much more support. I'm no small guy either and I love the thing. I would love to daily drive the car if I wasn't such a detail freak.

The one and only thing I notice when it comes to comfort is entry and exit of the vehicle. It's a bit more tricky than my Vette, Lotus Esprit, or F Bodies I owned.

Get notified of new replies

To GTS or SRT10 Viper owners?

Old 11-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by badass1g
Old 11-17-2009, 02:46 PM
badass1g
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

exactly. its a major pain in the *** to get in and out of as well. your telling me in the summer time when your driving in city traffic your not sweating your *** off? the ac system sucks and with the exhaust right under your *** its truly an oven and makes it miserable to drive more than 30 mins at a time.

not to mention having yourself and your lady burn her leg on the side of the car when getting out after that drive. then your lucky to get 12 mpg. i dunno just remenissing of having that car is annoying. the best things about that car is all the attention and the exhaust note. other than that corvette is a much better car IMO
Old 11-17-2009, 03:55 PM
B/Stock
Instructor

Originally Posted by Viper_Vette
That is cool B. What color GTS did you find?
Red, which I'm nomally not a fan of, but it does look pretty cool on the Viper.

Quick Reply: GTS or SRT10 Viper owners?