Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

New ACR 2 seconds faster than the ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 03:55 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by redknight
That is a pretty dumb thing to say. There are courses that will favor one and some the other. Since we are talking laguna, motortrend's test around the course had the viper at about a half second faster with the same pro driver but different day. Hardly a decisive victory. If the upgrades to the acr for 2010 really helped its lap time then the zr1 needs to be retested too because for 2010 it now has PTM.
You are in denial for no reason, both are great performing american cars that are stomping the world in performance, also PTM will slow the car down and make it look worse
Old 11-25-2009, 03:55 AM
wickedness
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guibo

Jim Mero with full GM support, plenty of tires, alignment tweaks, and 6 laps would probably set a very close lap time in a ZR1...
That was already tried at the Ring. 2 trips and 2 different drivers.

Last edited by wickedness; 11-25-2009 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:15 AM
wickedness
Instructor

It would be interesting to see what this new 2010 ACR can do at the Ring.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:55 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by wickedness
It would be interesting to see what this new 2010 ACR can do at the Ring.
Michelin Pilot Sport CUP is the BIG differance between the two.
Fit ZR1 with MPSC and see how it improves lap times.....

Maybe a Z06 has track record on Nurburgring next year
August 3rd. there will be an attempt to retake the record from ACR, 7.22
There is also a heavily modified BMW M3 that has done 7.22, it is called Loaded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL7T9BD_Q3k

regards
Rune
Old 11-25-2009, 06:44 AM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That Viper is a beast! Me like!

RMX
Old 11-25-2009, 07:14 AM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by tjZ06
Are you surprised? The ACR is optimized for the race track, the ZR1 is meant to be an amazing Grand Tourer... though it's pretty darn good on the track too. Look at the real aero, adjustable suspension, and hell just the tires on the ACR are worth 2 seconds at LS.

-TJ
Bingo - put some good tires on the ZR1 and certainly the difference would dwindle.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:15 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by wickedness
That was already tried at the Ring. 2 trips and 2 different drivers.
No, there was only one trip with Jim Mero driving. The Jan Magnussen run was a complete fabrication.

While I agree the ACR is faster around Laguna Seca, with it's R compound tires and aero package, than a ZR1. In reality it is a lot closer than 2 seconds. To have true comparison you would of had to have a ZR1 at the track with the ACR with the same driver doing an equal amount of laps. I would guess that it would be about .5 sec behind per lap.

Last edited by racerns; 11-25-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:29 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

whats msrp on 2010 acr?
Old 11-25-2009, 09:29 AM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

fact of the matter is the viper is faster than the zr1 on a road course. because of tires? more than likely YES but.........thats the way the viper comes from the factory. the zr1 got the shaft on that one. should better tires be an oiption? sure. will it? no. the zr1 is faster in a 1/4 and the viper is faster on the track. thats just the way it is.......for now
Old 11-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Perfect post, athough the ACR is geared more for the track, it is a street car, just like a corvette, what people dont know is that there is all all purpose race viper called the competition coupe, that dodge has sold for years. BTW I own both Viper and 06 Z, brand loyal people are always going to make excuses, tires, illegal splitter , bla bla bla, most of the people who argue are the ones who Zaino their cars every week , and complain about wanting a automatic hatch closer , they read magazines and havent been near a racetrack.fact of the matter is the ZR1 will never beat an ACR Viper around a course, period, get over it already
+1

-Alex
Old 11-25-2009, 01:14 PM
redknight
Racer

You are in denial for no reason, both are great performing american cars that are stomping the world in performance, also PTM will slow the car down and make it look worse
And you are ignorant for no reason. Information about PTM is readily available via a quick Google search and yet you make the above post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJBVP...eature=related
Old 11-25-2009, 01:53 PM
MyBeaches
Pro

Seriously, these are brand new tires on the ACR. As close to slicks as you can get.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MyBeaches
Seriously, these are brand new tires on the ACR. As close to slicks as you can get.

Its all about OEM, bonestock. The 911 Gt2 also come with those tires off the showroom floor.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:12 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Unless I missed it, why hasn't Top Gear tested a Viper ACR yet? I'd like to see what it would do around their course.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:23 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Viper_Vette
Its all about OEM, bonestock. The 911 Gt2 also come with those tires off the showroom floor.
It is great that the offer them OEM, but really how many people that are serious into tracking their car stick with the OEM tire? Tires and brake pads are the first to change for any serious open tracker. Now, I don't think anyone will be changing pads on a ZR1.

Now see a ZR1 can put on a set of PSCs and still be street legal but the ACR can't drive around with it's front splitter installed and be street legal. (This one always gets the Viper guys fired up )

We get the point though the ACR from the factory is a little better track car. The ZR1 from the factory is the better street car. The ZR1 can be made into a better track car with tires and minor suspensions adjustments. It would be much harder to make the ACR into a better street car. It all depends what you are looking for.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:08 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Perfect post, athough the ACR is geared more for the track, it is a street car, just like a corvette, what people dont know is that there is all all purpose race viper called the competition coupe, that dodge has sold for years. BTW I own both Viper and 06 Z, brand loyal people are always going to make excuses, tires, illegal splitter , bla bla bla, most of the people who argue are the ones who Zaino their cars every week , and complain about wanting a automatic hatch closer , they read magazines and havent been near a racetrack.fact of the matter is the ZR1 will never beat an ACR Viper around a course, period, unless of course you slap a set of R- Compound tires on it, then it will run hand in hand with it all day long since we all know R-comps are worth 2 seconds on any track in america.....

There, all fixed for ya.

I don't have a horse in this race, so I could care less, but we all know the tires really do make that much of a diff. I would love an ACR and possibly even get one over a ZR1, but to openly admit a ZR1 with sticky tires will not hang door to door is insane!
Old 11-25-2009, 08:33 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
It is great that the offer them OEM, but really how many people that are serious into tracking their car stick with the OEM tire? Tires and brake pads are the first to change for any serious open tracker. Now, I don't think anyone will be changing pads on a ZR1.

Now see a ZR1 can put on a set of PSCs and still be street legal but the ACR can't drive around with it's front splitter installed and be street legal. (This one always gets the Viper guys fired up )

We get the point though the ACR from the factory is a little better track car. The ZR1 from the factory is the better street car. The ZR1 can be made into a better track car with tires and minor suspensions adjustments. It would be much harder to make the ACR into a better street car. It all depends what you are looking for.
What you need to understand ,is that Viper owners dont want a better street car, we want all out performance. I have owner 5 corvettes and currently own a C6Z, you cannot truely give a realistic opinion until you have both. They are very different cars, even power delivery feels nothing alike, when both car put out great numbers.

Get notified of new replies

To New ACR 2 seconds faster than the ZR1

Old 11-25-2009, 08:53 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

What you need to understand ,is that Viper owners dont want a better street car, we want all out performance. I have owner 5 corvettes and currently own a C6Z, you cannot truely give a realistic opinion until you have both. They are very different cars, even power delivery feels nothing alike, when both car put out great numbers.
My point is that you can have both with the ZR1. If you really have to keep the car 100% OEM down to the tires and want all out performance then the ACR it is. But most people who want all out performance will do some modding anyway, so a set of tires and few minor suspension adjustments (lowering on the stock bolts and a track alignment) is not a big deal to get similar performance keeping most of the street manors. Do I think I am really going to change your mind? No, but it is a fun argument.

By the way the power delivery of the ZR1 is different from the Z06 too.

Last edited by racerns; 11-25-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

Problem with these arguments is this - To hang with the ACR around a road course, street legal R-compound tires and track alignment 'ain't gonna do it'. Those that have driven both know this.... And GM knows this, or they would simply offer an R-compound tires as an option and shoot for those records. Now if you slap a full aero package, coil-overs, track alignment, and some tires then it would be interesting. But what's the point? If track days are your thing, the ACR stomps the ZR1. If daily driving + comfort (or frequent trips to the market) + 'combining darn good performance' are your thing, the ZR1 stomps the ACR. Simple. To have either 'match' the other in its strengths would take a lot of work and money IMHO.

BTW - There is a HUGE difference between a 'street legal' 80 compound tire and an all out racing slick. HUGE. Which is why I laugh when people keep referring to the ACR's tires in this manner. Sure, on a road course 80 compound is obviously a bit better than ZR1/Non-ACR Vipers 220 compound. But the difference is not monumental like comparing street tires to full out racing slicks.

Last edited by Onerareviper; 11-25-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:57 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
I wonder what the ACR could do with a supercharger and carbon ceramic brakes? Or how comfortable it would be with magno-shocks? Yawn....
Maybe about as well as a ZR1 with a whole engines worth of extra displacment under the hood.

And how does that equate to changing tires (a consumable) and doing an alignment?

Last edited by racerns; 11-25-2009 at 10:23 PM.

Quick Reply: New ACR 2 seconds faster than the ZR1