Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

550 hp.new camero ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:31 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
This makes the base LS3 Corvette/Grand Sport look bad imo. The list of cars FASTER then the Corvette continues to grow.....the CTS-V sedan/coupe and now the Camaro. The kicker is that the Camaro Z28 will come in lower priced then the Corvette AND the CTS-V coupe is miles ahead of Corvette in refinement and also just as quick in most driving situations.

This furthers my point about how vastly overpriced the C6 has become imo. The competiton even within GM is hurting Corvette sales. The C7 can't come fast enough..........
Actually I think what is really hurting Vette sales is the fact that Chevy, in it's infinite wisdom, just plain takes too long to make changes to their cars.

Yes, I know they just came out with the GS (which I love), but it looks almost exactly like a Z06, which hasn't been changed since it came out.

If you put an 05 Vette next to a base 11 Vette, they look the freakin same. Oh wait, they change the wheels every year. Wow.

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE the way the C6 looks, I am only going on about the fact that GM needs to start making some in generation changes with their vehicles.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
Please NAME them........ wait, you can't as they do not exist (leaving out the usual $300,000 suspects from Ferrari etc).

The 2010 GS runs 0 to 60 in 3.95. The 2011 with new tires may be 3.9 flat (and the C5 Z06 finally matched 7 model years later). NO Caddie nor Camaro can nor will run that. The new Z28 will have a huge HP rating but it will run on skinny tires and weigh close to 4000 Pounds. It may run 4.3, a time still short of a pure base Corvette.
You realize GM has already announced the CTS-V Coupe will do 3.9 0-60 on the factory "skinny" tires......bone stock

The CTS-V sedan (which will be heavier then the coupe or coming Z28) normally tests running mid 12's@115ish..........those are LS3 numbers folks, bone stock, and they are running it in a much more luxurious cabin. Unless your at VIR/Road Atlanta that guy in the Caddy/Z28 has a car just as quick as the guy in the Grand Sport/base vette.

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
You mean like the Grand Sport makes the base Z06?

These other cars may have larger engines but that doesn't make them faster than a C6. That said, any car can be made faster with modifications, like the many base C6's that can put a stock Z06 to shame with a few performance mods.
These cars are packing 126 more hp then an LS3, they are stock oem cars. Just wait till the owners start reporting times at the track. You may not believe now, but within 2 years I know you'll see the Z28/CTS-V coupe with a decided edge in 1/4 mile track times........with a set of DR's and great driving mid 11's.

The GT500, people in this thread are bringing up, is severe traction limited, owners slap on DR's and magically it's an 11 sec car. No need to mess with the motor or tune.

Some of you guys need to wake up
Old 06-04-2010, 09:27 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

blah blah blah as if any of us can tell the difference between tenths of a second here or there.

we buy corvettes because they're fast and, more importantly, because it's a corvette!

one thing's for sure, there are a lot of great current (and future) options for american cars out there!
Old 06-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by SLO VETTE
blah blah blah as if any of us can tell the difference between tenths of a second here or there.

we buy corvettes because they're fast and, more importantly, because it's a corvette!

one thing's for sure, there are a lot of great current (and future) options for american cars out there!
Corvette haters GTFO.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:27 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension

Just imagine the poor ZO6 owners after the GS came out with the Callaway option and how they felt. Unless you buy every year and constantly spend $$$ you will always be looking over your shoulder.

I'm happy the Corvette is what it is and grateful for what it offers. Something for just about everyone unless you need the back seat.
I feel fine. Actually, great. I'm still faster, stock.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Raazor

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
u been sick?
Old 06-04-2010, 11:49 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Raazor
u been sick?
Right lane done in our thin air (not that heavy air on the east coast). Stock tires, no DR's.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:09 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You realize GM has already announced the CTS-V Coupe will do 3.9 0-60 on the factory "skinny" tires......bone stock

The CTS-V sedan (which will be heavier then the coupe or coming Z28) normally tests running mid 12's@115ish..........those are LS3 numbers folks, bone stock, and they are running it in a much more luxurious cabin. Unless your at VIR/Road Atlanta that guy in the Caddy/Z28 has a car just as quick as the guy in the Grand Sport/base vette.

These cars are packing 126 more hp then an LS3, they are stock oem cars. Just wait till the owners start reporting times at the track. You may not believe now, but within 2 years I know you'll see the Z28/CTS-V coupe with a decided edge in 1/4 mile track times........with a set of DR's and great driving mid 11's.

The GT500, people in this thread are bringing up, is severe traction limited, owners slap on DR's and magically it's an 11 sec car. No need to mess with the motor or tune.

Some of you guys need to wake up
So do you - not everybody cares about 1/4 mile times. The Corvette is a world class sports car, not a drag race machine.

The classic big block Camaro's, Chevelles, GTO's, Road Runners Ect, all owned the old corvettes at the drag strip - but take them up a mountain road or road course and watch them disappear in your mirror.

Racing in a strait line is like always screwing in the same position. You need to get out more and experience your car's capabilities.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
So do you - not everybody cares about 1/4 mile times. The Corvette is a world class sports car, not a drag race machine.

The classic big block Camaro's, Chevelles, GTO's, Road Runners Ect, all owned the old corvettes at the drag strip - but take them up a mountain road or road course and watch them disappear in your mirror.

Racing in a strait line is like always screwing in the same position. You need to get out more and experience your car's capabilities.

I find in amusing that the people who claim there is no difference between a Z06 and a Grand Sport on the street (it's nearly a tie -to them). In the face of newer more powerful cars (let alone from within GM) that equal the performance of our beloved LS3 based Corvettes.....that all of a sudden those cars still don't compare to an LS3 Corvette on a racetrack.

Lmao

Talk about having it both ways. The new reality is, unless your one of the "poor Z06 folks" or a ZR1 owner, the LS3 Corvette is now becoming outgunned more frequently........anyone see that the 2011 GT500 posted a 2.58 around VIR recently...another car that's caught up to LS3 Corvette performance in a hurry.

If your like me, and proud to own a Corvette, the other cars don't really matter and don't give the thrills a vette does. BUT they are just has quick as the entry level vette, no denying that.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Raazor

Support Corvetteforum!

If your like me, and proud to own a Corvette, the other cars don't really matter and don't give the thrills a vette does. BUT they are just has quick as the entry level vette, no denying that.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:30 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find in amusing that the people who claim there is no difference between a Z06 and a Grand Sport on the street (it's nearly a tie -to them). In the face of newer more powerful cars (let alone from within GM) that equal the performance of our beloved LS3 based Corvettes.....that all of a sudden those cars still don't compare to an LS3 Corvette on a racetrack.

Lmao
I dont know who claims that, but it isnt me. I think the primary advantage of the Z06 is on the street with all its bottom end grunt. On the track, the differences in all corvettes are smaller since we are at the limits of the drivers ability more so than the cars.

The difference between the Z06 and the GS on a closed course track are much smaller than the differences between the GS and a Camaro or especially a Caddy, especially to anyone with limited track experience.

I think its funny also, that some men feel the need to have the 'fastest' car in a strait line on the street - they are missing the point almost entirely with a corvette or any other world class sports car.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Dueysan
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see what people are up in arms about. You can make your Corvette as stupid fast as you want for a few grand and have a better overall platform than a Camaro.

I'm satisfied with my wimpy bone stock 400hp LS2, I can take 200 mile roadtrips to my hometown Missoula from Spokane, enjoy the twisties, take her up to speed at times and still get 27mpg with some in town driving. Honestly more power would be wasted on me, even 400 hp is insane power UNLESS your gonna track your car. It's like some sportbikes...my riding level is not high enough to even remotely explore the limits of 750cc and larger sportbikes...much less on public roads so why bother UNLESS you are going to track it. I could care less about 1/4 "racing" and if I was looking for a track car this new Camaro would not be it.

Anyone have an idea what the gas guzzler tax is going to be on it? Should run about 14/19 same as the CTS-v

Last edited by Dueysan; 06-04-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
. The Z is a great Corvette. The Callawy GS is pretty tempting though.

Last edited by Vette Suspension; 06-04-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLO VETTE

This is very true. The options we have as Corvette owners to mod a base or GS, the ZO6, Callaway along with the King are options and choices we should all be thankful for.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Raazor

Support Corvetteforum!

. The Z is a great Corvette. The Callawy GS is pretty tempting though.
For me, more so.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:14 PM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

apples to oranges................ Z28 to Vette............ always has been and always will
Old 06-26-2010, 01:42 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

There will always be something faster and better. Just imagine how the ZO6 owners after the ZR1 and the Callaway GS came out. Luckily Corvette still has the ZR1 the true KING and the Callaway GS the best Vette with all the options.

The Camaro with 556 hp will be one cool and fast car and hopefully will sell very well for GM. GM needs the Z/28 to compete with the 2011 Challenger that will have a 6.3L engine with a whopping 580 hp.
It needs 580 hp to haul that Big Azz around!

Quick Reply: 550 hp.new camero ?