Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

White paint from hell

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 11:33 PM
tdekany
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White paint from hell

This car belongs to the owner of 503motoring.com. a few years ago it was sold to a friend who unfortunately didn't take very good care of it while owning it. But now the car is back and in good hands. I was asked to try to do something to the paint because it was really trashed. I estimated 2 days and honestly I don't know what I was thinking at that moment.
In the end I spent 3 days on the paint, around 22 hours. It had to be done at the end of day 3 which meant much fewer pictures plus missed taking many after pictures as well. In any case you will have a good idea at least of the condition of the paint before I worked on it. It is raining here in Portland so any sun shots have to wait.

PROCESS

3D WASH
3D CLAY
HD QD - AS CLAY LUBE AND ON WINDOWS
HD UNO - COMPOUNDING rotary/POLISHING 3401 da (with wool and orange pads)
DODO JUICE LIME PRIME - FINISHING POLISH pcxp (with HD UNO orange pad)
FK1 #1000 TO PROTECT gray 3M pad & pcxp
OCW TO REMOVE #1000

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

50/50

BEFORES

AFTER

AFTER PROTECTION

Old 10-31-2010, 03:53 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

All I can say you are lucky the truck was white, can you imagine how bad it would have been and still look if it was a dark color.

White has been and will always be the great hider, AKA as Collision white, when I was a kid the white of choice was GM's Ermine white to hide bodywork and anything you didn't want people to see.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:12 PM
tdekany
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure what you mean, but I'd say that anything that could be removed WAS removed without removing too much clear. I don't "hide" when I correct paint. Each panel goes through a pretty detailed process to make sure that there are no imperfections left.

There will be sun pictures in the future of the paint so you will see it then.

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
All I can say you are lucky the truck was white, can you imagine how bad it would have been and still look if it was a dark color.

White has been and will always be the great hider, AKA as Collision white, when I was a kid the white of choice was GM's Ermine white to hide bodywork and anything you didn't want people to see.

Get notified of new replies

To White paint from hell

Quick Reply: White paint from hell