Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Camaro ZL1 to "mop the floor with Corvette"

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Blaq Ops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
I'm sure the ZL1 is a response to the new Mustangs...the C7 will rule once again. I do have to laugh at all the whiners pissin & moaning about CAFE...I don't see any HP going down anywhere.
If this is in response to the new mustangs, they need to direct the comments that direction!! Why this bozo decides to take a stab at a car made by the company he works for is beyond me.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:25 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteRulz
How pathetic would it be to have the C7 have less HP than a Camaro. Even now the new Camaro has 430HP and it makes the Corvette less appealing.

GM likes to attack its own model lineups. When will GM learn that it needs to attack its competitor (Ford Mustang) and not attack itself.
That's funny. The ZL1 targets the GT500 specifically. That would be a Ford Mustang. If the ZL1 isn't a response to the GT500 then what is it. It already outperforms the only other car in it's class (Challenger SRT). GT500 is almost as fast as a base C6. The ZL1 should outrun the GT500 so maybe it can outrun a base C6. There is still a Z06 and a ZR1 on top of it.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:28 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

They say it will also take a "base" Z06 since it has the MSRC.
2006+ Z06's are capable of pulling 1.04g and have the edge in power to weight along with a push when it comes to brakes. I don't see the Camaro ZL1 matching the C6 Z06's around tracks in a straightline or road race. Remember at the "Ring" the C6Z managed a 7:43 lap from a starting stop, the Camaro is expected to come in the 7:50's

The mag ride will make the Camaro handle very well for it's size though as seen with the CTS-V.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I am all for this car.
So some people will buy this instead of a Corvette, so what? Less Corvettes sold, again, so what? They are not going to stop building Corvettes, there will always be one available when I want to buy one. Sorry, I don't understand why all the crying and moaning. A fast Camaro does not make a Corvette. Camaro owners (should) know where they stand on the GM hierarchy and that is and always will be below the Corvette.
Bring on that Camaro to stomp on the Mustang...
Old 02-10-2011, 12:30 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Blaq Ops
If this is in response to the new mustangs, they need to direct the comments that direction!! Why this bozo decides to take a stab at a car made by the company he works for is beyond me.
It's probably what he can best relate the performance numbers against since he's likely more familiar with the performance numbers of the Corvette than the GT500. Poor choice of words on his part but GM certainly isn't trying to make an official point of targeting it's own halo car with the ZL1.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:30 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, this is all heresay...nothing about where this statement came from....plus the statement put here says..."If there's a market for a Camaro that will mop the floor with a Corvette, they'll build it." That is very much open to interpretation.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:32 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Racer
I am all for this car.
So some people will buy this instead of a Corvette, so what? Less Corvettes sold, again, so what? They are not going to stop building Corvettes, there will always be one available when I want to buy one. Sorry, I don't understand why all the crying and moaning. A fast Camaro does not make a Corvette. Camaro owners (should) know where they stand on the GM hierarchy and that is and always will be below the Corvette.
Well said!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:34 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, this is all heresay...nothing about where this statement came from....plus the statement put here says..."If there's a market for a Camaro that will mop the floor with a Corvette, they'll build it." That is very much open to interpretation.
Inside line had the article, I'll go ahead and link it on the first post
Old 02-10-2011, 12:40 AM
BobBass
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with NZYCAR and Rocketman.

IMO, not only are the Camaro & Vette in different categories, the styling is night and day. No disrespect to the Camaro guys out there - I sat in one at the Phila. Auto Show and was very impressed with the interior - but I just do not care for the exterior styling compared to the C6. ONCE AGAIN - MY (worthless) OPINION ONLY!

And, the "perceived paint mismatch" on the rear quarter panel with certain colors would drive me nuts if I had one. There was a silver Camaro parked conspicuously in a shopping center that I frequent and every time I drove by, I marveled at how the rear quarter panel looked like it had been re-painted. It is a "light reflection issue." But, so many owners complained about it that GM had to issue a technical bulletin:

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711395
Old 02-10-2011, 12:42 AM
wildanblue
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gunterwalker
.........They better put the Camaro on a diet if they want to beat the Vette ..........

Originally Posted by NW94Z
Or building a GT500 to rival the Ford GT?
I will believe it when I see it BUT....rumor has it that a replacement for the '05-'06 FGT is in the works.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:51 AM
Blaq Ops
Burning Brakes

My problem is NOT with a new and improved camaro but with the notion that the corvette has a perceived target on it's back when it comes to the camaro. Maybe this guy misspoke. He definitely needs to choose better words when it comes to doing interviews. Research the competition and attack them.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Migs08
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh, no worries.

Corvette is THE American sports car ICON!

And that won't change anytime soon.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:59 AM
Ettev01
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I wonder if the Corvette guys said the new ZL-1 Camaro would be the end of the Corvette back in 1969?

The Central Office Production Order (COPO) 9560 was an option installed an all-aluminum 427 cu in (7 L) big-block called the ZL-1 and was designed specifically for drag racing. It was conceived by drag racer Dick Harrell, and ordered through Fred Gibb Chevrolet in La Harpe, IL, with the intention of entering NHRA Super Stock drag racing. Just 69 ZL-1 Camaros were produced, the engine alone cost over US$4,000 — nearly twice that of a base coupe with a V8. Though rated at 430 hp (321 kW) gross, the ZL-1 made closer to 376 Net HP in it's "as installed" condition, making it both the fastest and rarest of all Camaros. REFERENCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Big-Block_engine
Old 02-10-2011, 01:00 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

My problem is NOT with a new and improved camaro but with the notion that the corvette has a perceived target on it's back when it comes to the camaro. Maybe this guy misspoke. He definitely needs to choose better words when it comes to doing interviews. Research the competition and attack them.
Really? You guys crack me up... Again, how does this really affect you as a Corvette owner? I know it isn't going to affect me one little bit, except maybe as a Corvette owner I am excited to see it's little brother hopefully spanking the Mustang getting it off the Corvettes back where it (Mustang) rightly doesn't belong.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:03 AM
mudfish
Instructor

I think healthy competition between the Corvette and Camaro design teams is good for everyone. The cars will just get better and better!

Old 02-10-2011, 01:05 AM
Blaq Ops
Burning Brakes

Really? You guys crack me up... Again, how does this really affect you as a Corvette owner? I know it isn't going to affect me one little bit, except maybe as a Corvette owner I am excited to see it's little brother hopefully spanking the Mustang getting it off the Corvettes back where it (Mustang) rightly doesn't belong.
LMAO!! Really, I can't even argue with that point.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:25 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 978 Likes on 460 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Vette and camaro are different looking and for me the vette is better looking. I don;t care about the corvette features that have been pushed DOWN to the camaro...LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Camaro ZL1 to "mop the floor with Corvette"

Old 02-10-2011, 01:30 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I am all for this car.
Man, I've never seen such a bunch of worry warts! I think the ZL1 is a great car to add to GM's performance stable.

To all you ZL1 worriers... Breath deeply, exhale... And think. You will be okay!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:30 AM
Timothy Barth
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few months ago I drove a brand new 426 hp 2011 SS camaro.I expected it to at least run as good as my 400 hp c6. I would have blown this SS away easily. They car just did not feel like it had all that power. Handling also suffered. Plus little things like a speedometer I would expect to see in a Cobalt or something cheaper. I know this is not the Camaro that is being talked about,but don't expect it to be a better car. With enough speed parts anything will run.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:14 AM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

NEVER!!!!
Mustang the original and best Pony car!

Note "Pony Car". Corvette is a Sports Car. Two different animals. For the life of me I simply do not understand why Mustangs come up in Corvette discussions so often. Too many folks in the Corvette world fghiting a bad case of inferority complex.

As for Gm...bulid the new Camaor and put the challenge to the Mustang...been that way since 1967. But to publically bash the Vette is corporate suicide. Ford ,Porsche, BMW...someone is gonna grab that guy's quotes and use it against GM and the Vette.

Quick Reply: Camaro ZL1 to "mop the floor with Corvette"