Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Shelby GT500 Vs C6 (is it worth it?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:42 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Grabber07'
Currently at 540 rwhp (635 hp flyweel) give or take

My current car a midish 11 sec @ 120+ mph 1/4 mile car (with drag radials and current mods. Faster if I had the driver mod)

With just a few bolt ons can the C6 compete with that?

I have heard the C6 LS3 responds well to mods and the curb weight is definitely a LARGE factor in performance. C6 wont have to make nearly as much HP to run with my Shelby.
Any of the different Corvette models: Base, Z-06, ZR1 have a weight advantage over the heavier Mustang GT-500.
So performance will feel different between the cars.
I have read somewhere in one of these Mustang magazines that the fastest Mustang up to date is not the overweight GT-500 but is now the Boss 302 or the Shelby GT-350 from the factory.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Grabber07'
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it it odd that some doubt I am 100% serious in purchasing a Corvette. I would not take the time to come on to a corvette forum for your help in deciding if I were not dead serious about purchasing. I have better things to do than troll forums. I do appreciate all those that have taken the time to reply with there input. Very much appreciated
Old 07-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Wyndridge3
Drifting

I find it it odd that some doubt I am 100% serious in purchasing a Corvette. I would not take the time to come on to a corvette forum for your help in deciding if I were not dead serious about purchasing. I have better things to do than troll forums. I do appreciate all those that have taken the time to reply with there input. Very much appreciated
I'm not surprised at all by the reaction. You have a VERY nice car now but you are on the Corvette Forum... don't be surprised the opinions are biased. As an earlier post said: there are great deals on Vettes right now. I bought a new 606hp Callaway and saved $21000 (Canadian) off list. In my (biased) opinion, if you genuinely love Vettes, head to your nearest Chev Corvette dealer now!
Old 07-09-2011, 09:06 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I find it it odd that some doubt I am 100% serious in purchasing a Corvette.

.... I wanted to pick your brains if I could on the subject of possibly selling my 2010 Grabber Blue GT500 ... for a 2005+ C6 Corvette.

First I want to say that I absolutely love the Shelby. .... but the monthly payment is a little high ..... To be honest I know little about them
1. You love the Shelby.

2. You know nothing about a Corvette.

3. Your monthly payment is too high on the Mustang.

4. When you boil down the finances, dumping your car won't save you as much as you think on a C6 Corvette.

Whatever you do, enjoy the car.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:12 PM
getburnt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 07 LS2 with CAI, Headers, exhaust and tune was 371rwhp...as oppose to my 08 which with the same mods was 420rwhp. Add in a set of tires (stockers are crap) and the smile wont leave your face! I recently bumped up to the Z06 and will be at around 525rwhp with the same mods (plus ported mani and TB) so if you run across an 06 for cheap (have seen them as low as 35,000) then make that jump as well! Your about to go on the best diet ever est. 3900 lbs to 3200lbs(base) Best of luck!

Last edited by getburnt; 07-09-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Grabber07'
Instructor

Originally Posted by jackhall99
1. You love the Shelby.

2. You know nothing about a Corvette.

3. Your monthly payment is too high on the Mustang.

4. When you boil down the finances, dumping your car won't save you as much as you think on a C6 Corvette.

Whatever you do, enjoy the car.
Completely understand where your coming from. But its not so much the payment. Yes I would be saving a few hundred a month and some on insurance, but more to it than that I have always admired and respected the corvette and wanted to own one.

Father owned 2 different corvettes and I always drueled over them as a kid, but been a die hard ford fan since my first fox body mustang 5.0.

I have always been a ford guy, but there has always been something about the Vette that has pulled me to it.

But in all honesty, I am very serious about changing paces from the Shelby to the Corvette.

Originally Posted by getburnt
My 07 LS2 with CAI, Headers, exhaust and tune was 371rwhp...as oppose to my 08 which with the same mods was 420rwhp. Add in a set of tires (stockers are crap) and the smile wont leave your face! I recently bumped up to the Z06 and will be at around 525rwhp with the same mods (plus ported mani and TB) so if you run across an 06 for cheap (have seen them as low as 35,000) then make that jump as well! Your about to go on the best diet ever est. 3900 lbs to 3200lbs(base) Best of luck!
The motors seem to definitely respond differently to mods. 50rwhp difference is no small margin.

Were there any steering or suspension changes from 2005 to 2008? Im sure I can google this, but value the input here.

Last edited by Grabber07'; 07-09-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:49 PM
getburnt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suspension upgrade option is callled z51, I would highly reccomend that as well if you can find one. Another option is called f55 (more rare that z51) but I have never had this option so other will have to chime in on it.

Completely understand where your coming from. But its not so much the payment. Yes I would be saving a few hundred a month and some on insurance, but more to it than that I have always admired and respected the corvette and wanted to own one.

Father owned 2 different corvettes and I always drueled over them as a kid, but been a die hard ford fan since my first fox body mustang 5.0.

I have always been a ford guy, but there has always been something about the Vette that has pulled me to it.

But in all honesty, I am very serious about changing paces from the Shelby to the Corvette. At the very least, from opinions on this forum, look for a 2008+ or an older Z06 if the wife will let me But then the price is back up there hehe

The motors seem to definitely respond differently to mods. 50rwhp difference is no small margin.

Were there any steering or suspension changes from 2005 to 2008? Im sure I can google this, but value the input here.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:03 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

I agree with others who said look for an 08-up if possible. It responds better to basic mods vs the LS2. With bolt ons you'll soon forget about the GT500.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

This went better than I expected, so far. Op, you got off pretty easy! Much of that is due to your open mindness, and respect for our forum. Cheers on that note. I will add my$ .02 on the insurance end. While getting quotes, I got one for my eventual Grand Sport, a Z06, and a Shelby. That GT500 was considerably higher!
Good luck on your choice. You have handled youself well.

Last edited by Torchsport; 07-09-2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: fix
Old 07-09-2011, 10:18 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Get the newest one you can afford, but for sure avoid the 05' (diff is made of balsa wood with styro foam gears).

The 08' has more precise steering and a stronger transmission. The 09's improved on that with variable assist.

Someone mentioned poor visibility. I'm not sure why they'd say that, the C6 is like a fighter cockpit, especially with the glass top. There are minimal obstructions to vision.

Don't pay a premium for the Z51 suspension. You can convert most the hard parts for cheap. You'll want bilstein shocks for either anyway.

Can't think of anything else, other than the LS3 rocks.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:25 PM
banjo04072
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

But in all honesty, I am very serious about changing paces from the Shelby to the Corvette.

Definitely get an 08 +. Not that the prior years are bad, but the C6 is one nice ride for the money. Even stock it's a thrill to drive, but with a few mod's you will never look back. LOL on your decision.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:35 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Hey do you live in Tulsa?

Nice car btw, always had respect for the GT500.

Seriously though if you are thinking about it go drive an LS3 and then see what you think. The LS2 is a fine car as well, just think for a few bucks more you can get the slightly bigger & more powerful motor. I went from an 04 C5 to the 09 C6 and im sold on LS3 power. The car just feels right, size and handling, and of course straight line acceleration is phenomenal.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Grabber07'
Instructor

Originally Posted by getburnt
Suspension upgrade option is callled z51, I would highly reccomend that as well if you can find one. Another option is called f55 (more rare that z51) but I have never had this option so other will have to chime in on it.
Thank you for the info, I will need to look into this further.

Originally Posted by Torchsport
This went better than I expected, so far. Op, you got off pretty easy! Much of that is due to your open mindness, and respect for our forum. Cheers on that note. I will add my$ .02 on the insurance end. While getting quotes, I got one for my eventual Grand Sport, a Z06, and a Shelby. That GT500 was considerably higher!
Good luck on your choice. You have handled youself well.
I too could see it going south very quick if I was one sided (I admit I was a little worried when I started this thread), but believe me I definitely have a very open mind on performance vehicles. I am first and foremost a car enthusiast and have a passion for performance. The Corvette has always been a true sports car: Weight, Balance, and power. I have much respect for them and they just look so aggressive!

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Get the newest one you can afford, but for sure avoid the 05' (diff is made of balsa wood with styro foam gears).

The 08' has more precise steering and a stronger transmission. The 09's improved on that with variable assist.

Someone mentioned poor visibility. I'm not sure why they'd say that, the C6 is like a fighter cockpit, especially with the glass top. There are minimal obstructions to vision.

Don't pay a premium for the Z51 suspension. You can convert most the hard parts for cheap. You'll want bilstein shocks for either anyway.

Can't think of anything else, other than the LS3 rocks.
My buddy did mention the rear end being a weak link on his '05 and great info on the tranny, steering, and suspension suggestion. Thank you.

Originally Posted by z edge
Hey do you live in Tulsa?

Nice car btw, always had respect for the GT500.

Seriously though if you are thinking about it go drive an LS3 and then see what you think. The LS2 is a fine car as well, just think for a few bucks more you can get the slightly bigger & more powerful motor. I went from an 04 C5 to the 09 C6 and im sold on LS3 power. The car just feels right, size and handling, and of course straight line acceleration is phenomenal.
I do in fact live in Tulsa (broken arrow area).
Old 07-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Grabber07'
Instructor

Hey Z Edge, You might have seen my good friends Arctic driving around. There arent too many around here I dont think. (as you all can tell I take a lot of pictures.) This car got me on my corvette kick

Old 07-09-2011, 11:41 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I had an 08 GT 500, an 08 Saleen Gurney and an 07 PJ Saleen. All were nice cars but they were not a vette. I sold all three mustangs and replaced them with 3 vettes. The shelby and the saleens had lousy resale value, but they were fun cars. The 5 speed manual in the mustangs is weak, one of mine went out at 2k miles and a second one was going out at 3k miles and they were all babied.

Anyway, your shelby is nice, but its not a vette. If you buy a vette, get at least an 08 model.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:06 AM
Grabber07'
Instructor

Originally Posted by bearphoto
I had an 08 GT 500, an 08 Saleen Gurney and an 07 PJ Saleen. All were nice cars but they were not a vette. I sold all three mustangs and replaced them with 3 vettes. The shelby and the saleens had lousy resale value, but they were fun cars. The 5 speed manual in the mustangs is weak, one of mine went out at 2k miles and a second one was going out at 3k miles and they were all babied.

Anyway, your shelby is nice, but its not a vette. If you buy a vette, get at least an 08 model.
Wow you had (have) a nice collection sir. Agreed on the 5 speed, did not like it when Forced induction was introduced. Shift forks tended to bend and clutch didnt last long either.

The 6 speed on the Shelby's seems to be holding up pretty well.

I hear ya on the resale value, corvettes seem to always do a better job in that department. Thank you for the purchasing advice. It seems that all agree on the 08+
Old 07-10-2011, 01:42 AM
Rich_562
Former user ID rcthmpsn
Support Corvetteforum!

Asking if you should get rid of your Stang for a Vette on this forum might bring biased opinions. Do what you want and can afford. Personally, every collage chick drives a V6 mustang. No one can really tell the difference except those that really care. Everyone knows what a Vette looks like.

Get notified of new replies

To Shelby GT500 Vs C6 (is it worth it?)

Old 07-10-2011, 01:50 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A 4000lb car based off an entry level chassis vs a highly engineered 3200 lb car. Hmm, just dont know.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:58 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

You'll have biased opinions here. They really are different cars though. The Mustang is nice especially the newer ones. As some one mentioned though, there are a lot of V6 Mustangs. With the C6 it will be at least a 6 liter V8.

Test drive a few, learn the options. Any suspension is good IMO. NPP exhaust on an 08 or newer is a nice option. 1LT-4LT are the trim levels. Definitely have the car inspected by a mechanic you trust. Get some trade-in offers on your car. Used C6 prices are decent.

I think the OP has an intention of getting a Corvette. If you asked me this pass Monday if I was going to get a GS Vert this week I would have said ____ no. The right deal came along so I pulled the trigger.

OP may save money on insurance rates even if the two cars are equal in payments.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:29 AM
res0n0xg
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
A 4000lb car based off an entry level chassis vs a highly engineered 3200 lb car. Hmm, just dont know.
Well don't listen to this ignorant retard...

I've had an 03 cobra that made 480rwhp/540rwtq, and I personally guarantee you'll be dissapointed if you care about power and get an LS2 stockish vette, even a stock LS3 will feel like a dog until you mod it compared to what you have now.

I LOVE GT500's, especially the 2010, doesn't that have the aluminum block? Did you get the upgraded suspension package?

I have an 08 with long tubes/intake/dyno tune and make 425rwhp or so, and yes it's fast, it'll pull most pullied 03-04 cobra's by a couple cars despite being down by 30-50rwhp, once you get up and moving as a vette just keeps pulling after 120mph.

However, you could easily make 700rwhp with your current ride with a basic blower swap, do that.

Quick Reply: Shelby GT500 Vs C6 (is it worth it?)