Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

New Viper going to be a threat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 07:19 PM
OnTarget1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope so! It only increases the comp.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:28 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
Wrong.
The reveal is in only 8 days, and no way is the new Viper going to be only 660HP. It will be more, be lighter and have a super nice interior to go with it. It will NOT have a base price of 130K, not even close to that although you will be able to option it out substantially higher. I will be very suprised if the base price exceeds 100K. This car wants to play in the Ferrari/Porsche playground and it will be faster than either with a supercar worthy interior.

And when the ACR version comes out in two years, I'll own one. You think the Ring recod of 7.12.13 is something wait till you see what that monster runs.
What else does that spec sheet sitting in front of you, that SRT group gave you say about the new viper?
Old 03-28-2012, 05:49 AM
OnTarget1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Garrett SNA
Beyond a threat. It will outperform the C6's. The question is, will the C7 Z06 be a threat to the 2013 Viper. If it isn't I may own my first Viper. I am worried about government motors ruining the C7. 8.7L ~700 hp... Monster.
Im worried about the Government ruining everything (Oh!...Its already happened).
Old 03-30-2012, 03:16 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper_Vette
Like the title says. You folks think the new Viper is going to be a big threat to the Corvette? I heard its going to be 700hp,direct injection lighter in weight too.
Currently, the old Viper still has yet to be surpassed (7:12.XX 'ring time) even by the new ZR1/Z07 type packages. It's still 7 seconds ahead of them. That's an eternity. You can bet the new one is going to trounce the 'vette even further, performance-wise.

Historically, the only time the Corvette really got one over on the Viper was when the 2006 Z06 came out in 2005, and the '06 Viper continued production in '05, and then production stopped and the 2008YM came out, and once again the Viper was mashing on the Corvette. This time, Viper production ended with it squarely ahead of the corvette. It will begin again soon, and be leaps ahead of it.

People are forgetting that this new Viper has some real money and talent going into it. It's not some washed-up half-**** attempt at Chrysler to milk another year or two out of the car.

Last edited by BSSN; 03-30-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:52 AM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

They just released yet another "teaser" shot of the new Gen 5 Viper and it's of a really nice leather/carbon fiber/beautiful stitching interior. Some serious money went into the development here and if a beautiful interior is mated with a 675-700HP monster motor going to be exciting.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:52 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
They just released yet another "teaser" shot of the new Gen 5 Viper and it's of a really nice leather/carbon fiber/beautiful stitching interior. Some serious money went into the development here and if a beautiful interior is mated with a 675-700HP monster motor going to be exciting.
Love the grab bar that reaveals the car has a hidden factory cage,
Interior is what corvette owners can only dream of, it obvious that the new viper isn't even targeting any model corvette, it has bigger fish to fry.
the decade of dominance viper had over corvette, ( corvette owners seem to "not remember " ) will be back, viper is moving up to a different class.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:55 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

We all know this, it's the corvette diehards,who seem to "forget"
I know I took plenty of beatings from vipers in my vettes, this is why some corvette people still have that sour attitude towards viper.

It's about to get worse, stay tuned

Originally Posted by BSSN
Currently, the old Viper still has yet to be surpassed (7:12.XX 'ring time) even by the new ZR1/Z07 type packages. It's still 7 seconds ahead of them. That's an eternity. You can bet the new one is going to trounce the 'vette even further, performance-wise.

Historically, the only time the Corvette really got one over on the Viper was when the 2006 Z06 came out in 2005, and the '06 Viper continued production in '05, and then production stopped and the 2008YM came out, and once again the Viper was mashing on the Corvette. This time, Viper production ended with it squarely ahead of the corvette. It will begin again soon, and be leaps ahead of it.

People are forgetting that this new Viper has some real money and talent going into it. It's not some washed-up half-**** attempt at Chrysler to milk another year or two out of the car.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Tomm. is going to be the big day. I cant wait to see it,and know what the specs are going to be on it.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Old 04-03-2012, 07:04 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Fiat wasted no time sharing parts with SRT. Do those taillights look familiar to you? They are from the Maserati Gran Turismo. Overall it looks ok, but has lost most of its aggressive nature.

Last edited by BluegrassMotorsport; 04-03-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope they have been able to do something with the sound of the 10 cylinder motor. The Viper always has been bad to the bone but personally I never liked the sound of them.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:26 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Shurshot
I hope they have been able to do something with the sound of the 10 cylinder motor. The Viper always has been bad to the bone but personally I never liked the sound of them.
but I fixed that pretty easily, by getting rid of the cats( which also got rid of all cabin heat in my 99),and putting a Borla catback on it.
Then when I added headers, it was even better.
Car sounds badass now, but its a full bolt-on blown 900+ hp car.

I must say my full bolt-on head/cam/spray 01Z06 still sounded better with 300 less hp, but nothing sounds Better than an old fox 5.0 with flowmasters, even on a stock motor.

I don't think I will ever own a better sounding car, than my 408, procharged, 92 fox.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:42 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by redvette77
Fiat wasted no time sharing parts with SRT. Do those taillights look familiar to you? They are from the Maserati Gran Turismo. Overall it looks ok, but has lost most of its aggressive nature.
I don't know what you are seeing, but I see the coke bottle shape that my gen 2 GTS/ACR has, which btw is considered the most aggressive looking cars ever to roll down a production line.
I also see some Ferrari cues in the front.
do you think any form C6 looks aggressive?, sharing parts? All of the 5 corvettes I had shared parts with many cheap chevy cars,and trucks,
shame on dodge for sharing parts with cars that cost 80-90 grand

Looks like dodge hit a home run to me, and isn't even targeting corvette, they are going after the high priced exotics.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:37 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
I don't know what you are seeing, but I see the coke bottle shape that my gen 2 GTS/ACR has, which btw is considered the most aggressive looking cars ever to roll down a production line.
do you think any form C6 looks aggressive?, sharing parts? All of the 5 corvettes I had shared parts with many cheap chevy cars,and trucks,

Looks like dodge hit a home run to me, and isn't even targeting corvette, they are going after the high priced exotics.
In my opinion, that design is far less aggressive than the design it replaces. I never said anything about the C6, so I am not sure why it was brought up. I am also aware that essentially all car companies share parts. I didn't say that the Maserati taillights were a bad thing, I just feel that the same people who design automotive art like Maserati and Ferrari would come up with a unique design. We are not talking about a company like General Motors who produce millions of cars per year.

By the way, this Viper is absolutely targeting the Corvette. Maybe not the base model, but it is most certainly targeting the Corvette. That doesn't mean that it cannot compete with exotics, because it can and more than likely will. The ZR1 does the same thing, if you haven't noticed.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:13 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

In my opinion, that design is far less aggressive than the design it replaces. I never said anything about the C6, so I am not sure why it was brought up. I am also aware that essentially all car companies share parts. I didn't say that the Maserati taillights were a bad thing, I just feel that the same people who design automotive art like Maserati and Ferrari would come up with a unique design. We are not talking about a company like General Motors who produce millions of cars per year.

By the way, this Viper is absolutely targeting the Corvette. Maybe not the base model, but it is most certainly targeting the Corvette. That doesn't mean that it cannot compete with exotics, because it can and more than likely will. The ZR1 does the same thing, if you haven't noticed.
I really don't notice ZR1's, they all look the same from 10 feet away, this is coming from a former c6 z owner, and also 3 C5's, my C5 being my favorite as it at least had a hardtop that did separate it from the rest some what.

The C6 might as wel be called the C5 1/2, basically the same car sans motor, but became much to numb, if I had the option of getting
My c5 z back or my c6z, I would go with my c5z, and just build the motor to the tune of over 600hp, like it was when I sold it.
That was the last corvette the really had the driver to car connection.

Wait for the numbers it turns and you will see what I'm talking about when I say it is going after bigger fish than the ZR1, bwt the interior is very italain, top notch.

The viper is changing from supercar, to low end exotic, government motors
Old 04-04-2012, 09:13 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

I really don't notice ZR1's, they all look the same from 10 feet away, this is coming from a former c6 z owner, and also 3 C5's, my C5 being my favorite as it at least had a hardtop that did separate it from the rest some what.

The C6 might as wel be called the C5 1/2, basically the same car sans motor, but became much to numb, if I had the option of getting
My c5 z back or my c6z, I would go with my c5z, and just build the motor to the tune of over 600hp, like it was when I sold it.
That was the last corvette the really had the driver to car connection.

Wait for the numbers it turns and you will see what I'm talking about when I say it is going after bigger fish than the ZR1, bwt the interior is very italain, top notch.

The viper is changing from supercar, to low end exotic, government motors
I suppose you haven't seen ZR1 numbers at all then. Looks are subjective, and you may feel that the ZR1 looks are boring. You are certainly entitled to that opinion. But what "fish" exactly are you referring to? There are not many cars in the world that the ZR1 cannot hang with, not many at all.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

My guess is that Viper fanboys are hoping the new Viper will be equal (interior, top speed, acceleration, etc) to the 1200 HP Bugatti Veyron SS which has a top speed of 267 MPH.

Hey, everyone has a right to dream.....

Get notified of new replies

To New Viper going to be a threat?

Old 04-04-2012, 10:45 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Uhhhh I dunno man. I disagree as well. I see it looks more curvier, more updated, more refined... but its a freakin viper. All the talks of what the c7 "should be" and want a corvette "is" are very blurry, as the corvette has been many things through the years. However the viper has always been about being a mean looking, badass car. With the big raised scoop and gigantic hood vents gone(the side of the car looks less recessed too) its just not as mean looking. And the GTS was not as mean looking as the 03+ cars either. Not bad looking at all, but not nearly as intimidating. This car just doesnt look like a bad *** from even 100 ft away.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:48 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

But what "fish" exactly are you referring to? There are not many cars in the world that the ZR1 cannot hang with, not many at all.
Some people need a reality check just because they're seeing something new and shiny that they dont even know the specs on...
Old 04-04-2012, 01:07 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Oh look, not the 700hp monster some people "knew" it was going to be. In fact it seems a lot of the same concepts as the last gen were re-used. The marketing concept is pretty interesting though, with the viper, vastly different gts, and potential acr all out at once. The tear drop hood still makes it look too ferrari gto-ish or even alfa Romeo 8c. The old style hood is still available at least. Some good and some bad I see in this car. Pretty interesting.

Quick Reply: New Viper going to be a threat?