Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Please post mpg with CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I guess these $4/gallon fuel prices have finally got to me. I've had 4000 lb boats for years (in fact, my 75 Monte fit that description, very nicely) and I think it's time to jump out of that 60s-70s era and join the 21st century. Perhaps my views will change if fuel prices take a dive......
Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,577 Likes on 664 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Ok, well I found out that a tune would help the gas mileage a little. Maybe 1-2 mpg more. So that's good news. After much research on the cts-v and cts-4, it looks like the v would be the choice.

I went down to the dealership again and the manager is playing hardball with me. He doesn't want to give me much for a trade on 2 or 3 cars which sucks. So I'm not sure if we are going to try and sell them outright or just turn them in anyway. All 3 cars are in mint condition and the kind of cars that turn heads and get compliments everywhere. I have 2 4th gen Camaros and a 98' Caddy ETC all with low miles. The Camaros each have 20,000 miles and the Caddy has 49,000. The dealer has offered $18,000 for all 3 cars. Problem is, the 96' is a custom show car that has won over 40 awards for Best Paint, Best in Show, 1st place, etc. It is drop dead gorgeous with a blower and nitrous system, custom paint, chrome everything..My other Camaro is a beautiful pewter convertible. I'm not really sure what to do in this situation.. I don't want to just "give" my cars away...
Old 07-25-2012, 08:39 AM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Shirl
Looking at a 2011 cts-v. Please list your mpg. Any issues to be aware of would be helpful. Rear window visiblity? Any info on the car is appreciated. Thanks.
Mine is modded and puts down 575 rwhp.
It gets 14-15 in most situations.
Rear vis not great, but not like a Camaro by any means. The backup sensors are nice for hidden objects.

The car is a beast.

PM me on the other cars - might have some ideas for you.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Ok, well I found out that a tune would help the gas mileage a little. Maybe 1-2 mpg more. So that's good news. After much research on the cts-v and cts-4, it looks like the v would be the choice.

I went down to the dealership again and the manager is playing hardball with me. He doesn't want to give me much for a trade on 2 or 3 cars which sucks. So I'm not sure if we are going to try and sell them outright or just turn them in anyway. All 3 cars are in mint condition and the kind of cars that turn heads and get compliments everywhere. I have 2 4th gen Camaros and a 98' Caddy ETC all with low miles. The Camaros each have 20,000 miles and the Caddy has 49,000. The dealer has offered $18,000 for all 3 cars. Problem is, the 96' is a custom show car that has won over 40 awards for Best Paint, Best in Show, 1st place, etc. It is drop dead gorgeous with a blower and nitrous system, custom paint, chrome everything..My other Camaro is a beautiful pewter convertible. I'm not really sure what to do in this situation.. I don't want to just "give" my cars away...
NEVER trade your cars in to a dealership. In most cases you will lose quite a bit of money. I have seen so many people swear and storm out of a dealership after seeing what was offered for their vehicles.
Take your time and sell, privately. You will save thousands of $.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Closer_2001
Mine is modded and puts down 575 rwhp.
It gets 14-15 in most situations.
Rear vis not great, but not like a Camaro by any means. The backup sensors are nice for hidden objects.

The car is a beast.

PM me on the other cars - might have some ideas for you.
Rear visibility is bad, but that's mostly because other cars get very small quickly
Old 07-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant believe you guys drive cars that get as low as 13 mpg still ! I just bought a BMW that gets 63 mpg. Its a 2 liter Turbo diesel it only has 185hp but works on torque and weigh's 1/3 less than the Caddy. Were about $6.00 plus a gallon over here. I'd be walking if I had to drive a car that gets 13 mpg. Even at $4.00 per gallon that must be costing you a lot of hard earned money every month ? You guys need to start engineering your cars to suit your economy of fuel. Were slowly going through that here and the local BMW dealer tells me 90% of there cars are now diesel.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Dave68
Race Director

I was reading an article a few years back that stated average gas mileage in the US had not increased over the years because of the bigger, heavier, faster mentality that reflects public expectations and demands. Yes, vehicles are much faster but those faster vehicles are going backwards in fuel economy. My 75 Monte Carlo weighed the same as a CTS-V and averaged the same mileage. AND THAT WAS 37 YEARS ago! At least base Corvette mileage has increased, compared to those being sold in the 70s.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 AM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,072 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart Allison
I cant believe you guys drive cars that get as low as 13 mpg still ! I just bought a BMW that gets 63 mpg. Its a 2 liter Turbo diesel it only has 185hp but works on torque and weigh's 1/3 less than the Caddy. Were about $6.00 plus a gallon over here. I'd be walking if I had to drive a car that gets 13 mpg. Even at $4.00 per gallon that must be costing you a lot of hard earned money every month ? You guys need to start engineering your cars to suit your economy of fuel. Were slowly going through that here and the local BMW dealer tells me 90% of there cars are now diesel.
And I can’t believe you and others keep jumping all over the very worst case, around town, leadfoot number of 13 for CTSV, not to mention a rather entertaining claim of 63 for a BMW diesel, presumably coasting downhill in the wide open spaces at a steady 55mph. I admit CTSV mileage is not stellar, but keep it in perspective please. To quote some numbers that are suitable for comparison, EPA combined cycle mileage for CTSV is 16. The very best mileage of any comparable high performance sedan is the Mercedes CLS550 at 20. Looking at various German diesels in the EPA list, I see various VW Passats, Jettas, and Golfs in the 30-34 range, but they are hardly high performance luxury sedans. Mercedes 350 diesels come in around 25, but don’t even approach CTSV or CLS in performance. BMW diesels are not available here yet, so are not on the EPA list, but 1-series BMW gas sedans are rated 22, and diesels are typically a few mpg over gas. As for 63, if that is a real, everyday number, for a real, decent performance car, then the other car makers might as well pack it up and go home. BMW will take over the world.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Stewart Allison
For some of us gas is a very small part of my monthly expenses. Hell I spend more on train fair than gas.

Why don't you compare something that actually performs like the V. 185hp? That's weak and I'm sure it's a 1/3 smaller on the inside of the V as well. Secondly, if you can't afford to pay for gas, then you are not the target financial target of any of these cars. Even if gas was $10/gal this thing would be easy to fill each month.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

mpg with CTS-V
Old 07-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Stewart,
While I agree that commuting 30 miles to work every day with a car that gets low fuel mileage is very wasteful, there are many guys (who frequent this forum) who have 2 or more vehicles, the CTS-V being one that sits in the garage most of the time. One guy just bought a Subaru BRZ for driving to work, leaving his high HP Z06 at home.
This I can understand, but spending hundreds of dollars a month because you drive a CTS-V to work every day is not sensible to me unless you are incredibly wealthy.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:36 AM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

You guys are funny. Saying you have to be wealthy to drive a CTS-V and with a lead foot getting 13MPG.

In my neck of the woods it is pick up truck country. Dumb hill billys with NO money driving around getting 13MPG or so if they are lucky with only about 300HP in a 5000lb truck.

A lead footed 13MPG with 556HP sounds quite reasonable in comparison.
Drive it more sensibly and get high teens. Your doing better than a LOT of trucks on the road and you can actually go fast.

Given the sales numbers of pick up trucks, I'd say a lot of people don't care about high gas prices or 60's era fuel mileage. Don't get me wrong I like trucks....for work and hauling stuff, not so much for everyday driving.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Dave68
Race Director

NOT according to today's USA article:

(7/27, Woodyard) reported, "Ford Motor, which has seen hidebound pickup buyers embrace gas-saving technology, appears to be headed a step further: an F-150 that makes extensive use of aluminum panels instead of steel." Richard Schultz, managing director of consultant Ducker Worldwide, who was briefed on the change by a Ford executive with knowledge of the plans, said "Ford Motor will embrace aluminum when the next-generation F-150 appears in July 2014 as a way of saving gas, although it'll raise costs."
The Wall Street Journal (7/27, Ramsey, Subscription Publication) reported, according to executives familiar with the company's plans, the automaker is hoping the switch to aluminum will cut the weight of its F-150 truck by about 700 pounds.
And by the way, the CTS-V does NOT weigh in at 3800 lbs. It is more like 4300 lbs. That just a few hunderd lbs lighter than the Lexus RX400h hybrid with lots of NiMH batteries, all-wheel drive, and 25-28 MPG average.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Shirl
Safety Car

Thanks for your help everyone. We decided on the CTS-4 new off of the lot. GM offers a $2,000 instant rebate and it's a brand new car (had 6 miles on it). The CTS-4 is all-wheel drive and will be better on gas also 18city/29hwy. It has 318hp/275tq. The car is quite stunning. It's "different" and the design grows on you quickly. The interior is amazing. The leather seats are power/heated and cooled and are very comfortable and firm not to mention beautiful. The interior is a work of art; very sharp. The car is fully loaded with every option, though I need to learn how to use everything. (It's basically like a rocket ship interior to me.) It has Bose 10 speaker surround sound, navi, bluetooth, onstar, touch-screen/voice activated, blind side alert, heated steering wheel, etc. etc. I love the rear of the car and the way the exhaust is integrated into the bumper. Trunk space is ok. Rear visibility is not bad. The rear seat head restraints are what block your view a bit. There is a backup camera which helps a lot and warning sensors that beep if you're too close to an object. I wasn't sure about the front grill at first, but I actually like it A LOT now, and it really stands out when you see one coming down the road. The wheels are 18" with Michelin Pilots. When you drive a car like this, you quickly realize how outdated your other cars are. Here are a couple of pics of it:

Old 08-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Now that's a Cadillac. A worthy successor to the ETC, wouldn't you say?
Old 08-05-2012, 11:32 PM
Shirl
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jinx
Now that's a Cadillac. A worthy successor to the ETC, wouldn't you say?
Lol.. yes. We did trade the 98' ETC in toward it. The funny thing is, they are both similar in a way. It's just that this one is much more modern in looks and technology.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:48 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Dave68
NOT according to today's USA article:

And by the way, the CTS-V does NOT weigh in at 3800 lbs. It is more like 4300 lbs. That just a few hunderd lbs lighter than the Lexus RX400h hybrid with lots of NiMH batteries, all-wheel drive, and 25-28 MPG average.

Comparing a 556 HP supercar sedan to a hybrid crossover is like comparing Rosie O'Donnel to Megan Fox. And I saw you threw in the 75 Monte Carlo in comparison too..... Lining that up next to the CTS-V would be the equivilant or racing the CTS-V against a school bus.

Im not sure what the big deal is... if you cant afford the gas or dont like the mileage... DONT BUY IT!!! If you want a blistering fast 4 door luxury sedan then its a great car.... you have to pay to play.

Get notified of new replies

To Please post mpg with CTS-V

Old 08-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for your help everyone. We decided on the CTS-4 new off of the lot. GM offers a $2,000 instant rebate and it's a brand new car (had 6 miles on it). The CTS-4 is all-wheel drive and will be better on gas also 18city/29hwy. It has 318hp/275tq. The car is quite stunning. It's "different" and the design grows on you quickly. The interior is amazing. The leather seats are power/heated and cooled and are very comfortable and firm not to mention beautiful. The interior is a work of art; very sharp. The car is fully loaded with every option, though I need to learn how to use everything. (It's basically like a rocket ship interior to me.) It has Bose 10 speaker surround sound, navi, bluetooth, onstar, touch-screen/voice activated, blind side alert, heated steering wheel, etc. etc. I love the rear of the car and the way the exhaust is integrated into the bumper. Trunk space is ok. Rear visibility is not bad. The rear seat head restraints are what block your view a bit. There is a backup camera which helps a lot and warning sensors that beep if you're too close to an object. I wasn't sure about the front grill at first, but I actually like it A LOT now, and it really stands out when you see one coming down the road. The wheels are 18" with Michelin Pilots. When you drive a car like this, you quickly realize how outdated your other cars are. Here are a couple of pics of it:
I had an '08 CTS4 before I purchased my V. It was a great car and very unique when it first came out. I think mine was built Dec '07 and picked it up March '08 so it was one of the early batches. Anyways, it takes a lot for more to stick with a model for back to back cars and the CTS has been the only thing to build model loyalty for me.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Shirl
Safety Car

Had it out again today. It has 150 miles on it now. I'm trying to break it in easy, but I did get on it a little a couple of times from stop lights. Second gear really picks up well. I haven't floored it or anything, but it seems to have more than sufficient power. It's 318 hp. so that's pretty good for it's weight. As for gas mileage, I'm keeping an eye on it. It's at 15mpg and climbing. I think since the engine is still breaking in, it will be a while until I see upwards of 20mpg.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by MVR 155
Comparing a 556 HP supercar sedan to a hybrid crossover is like comparing Rosie O'Donnel to Megan Fox. And I saw you threw in the 75 Monte Carlo in comparison too..... Lining that up next to the CTS-V would be the equivilant or racing the CTS-V against a school bus.

Im not sure what the big deal is... if you cant afford the gas or dont like the mileage... DONT BUY IT!!! If you want a blistering fast 4 door luxury sedan then its a great car.... you have to pay to play.
I CAN compare the hybrid to Shirl's CTS with 318 HP, however. The Lexus (GS450h or even the heavier RX450h) fuel mileage is superior, acceleration is as good if not better, and the ride is fairly equivalent. The big difference will be in long-term reliability. That's where the Lexus rules.

Still, as long as she has a good warranty and is happy....

Quick Reply: Please post mpg with CTS-V