Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Zr1 blows away new viper at mazda raceway!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Zr1 blows away new viper at mazda raceway!

Yes, despite predictions from CF's Viper boys, the less expensive (by $15,000) ZR1 simply trounced the latest Viper by 2 seconds at the 2.24 mile Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca track.
According to the folks at Car & Driver,
The ZR1 feels substantially lighter than its piddling three-pound actual weight advantage implies. It feels smaller and more agile, though its wheelbase is a yawning 6.9 inches longer.
The vipers biggest detractions came from its seats:
And after five hours in it, you feel like you've been run over by the Budweiser Clydesdales. Your ears ring, your head pounds, and your heart palpitates. If you don't wear socks, you might even brand red rings into your ankles with the side pipes.
and its brakes:
And speaking of stoppers, the Viper's iron brakes had neither the bite nor the endurance of the ZR1's ceramic jobs.
Regarding the suspension of each:
Certain refinements, such as the ZR1's self-regulating magnetorheological shocks, plus many more decades of developement pay off in a feeling of heightened sophistication. Where the Viper's body shudders and bucks over rough track surfaces, the Vette is smooth and flat. Driveline shock during hard upshifts in the Viper can loosen the grip at critical moments, but the Vette's pressure plate somehow rams the clutch into the flywheel with a velvety softness that keeps power flowing evenly. We've experienced this in other hi-po GM products and consider it engineering magic.
Behold the reigning king - the Corvette ZR1.

Last edited by Dave68; 01-01-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Dave68
Race Director

It's quiet, TOO quiet in Viper land.......
Old 01-05-2013, 04:42 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

......chirp..........chirp......I hear the crickets chirpin.......

this is not gonna make my neighbor happy....he has been telling me how he's gettin a new viper and how bada$$ it's gonna be....blah blah blah......guess it's time for the smack talkin to begin!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:10 PM
C3DeedlyDee
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I love the ZR1's performance, but I'd take the Viper on looks alone. No polycarb window showing an intercooler can fix that.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Many Kias look great, but that doesn't mean I'd like to buy one. This is especially relevant if your intention to take the car to the track. In the same issue of Car&Driver, a new VIR challenge results was revealed. Once again, the Camaro ZL1 easily beat the super-potent Mustang, despite the Camaro's power deficit. In fact, the Camaro embarrassed many a German car that cost far more.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:39 PM
oicw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
Many Kias look great, but that doesn't mean I'd like to buy one. This is especially relevant if your intention to take the car to the track. In the same issue of Car&Driver, a new VIR challenge results was revealed. Once again, the Camaro ZL1 easily beat the super-potent Mustang, despite the Camaro's power deficit. In fact, the Camaro embarrassed many a German car that cost far more.
Agreed.

The Viper does look sharper than our Vettes, but if looks is the only goal, nothing beats say, a used Gallardo for headturns / $

Get notified of new replies

To Zr1 blows away new viper at mazda raceway!

Quick Reply: Zr1 blows away new viper at mazda raceway!