Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Why doesn't Corvette age as well as say a 911?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 02:48 AM
mnmthoele
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the 911 doesn't seem to age much because they just keep evolving the basic shape, where as the Corvette has gone through complete redesigns. If you look at Porsche's other cars, like the 924,944 and 928, all fine cars in their own right, they look like cas from that era.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:46 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by coupedncal
First of all, let me say it outright I am a HUGE fan of Corvettes. I dig C6 and I really like the C7 as well. Having said that, I have felt this for some time the Corvette doesn't "age" as well as most Porsches out there. If you don't believe me, look at most C4 and C5 out there on the street. You put a C4 next to the same year Carerra and you will know what I am talking about. And in my opinion, the convertibles do age better than coupes for some reason. Some of it has to do with depreciation and cost of maintenance of a Corvette vs a 911 and that keeps the 911 only in the hands of select few but that is not the whole story. Or is it?

Again, my goal was not to create an uproar here but I am just wondering what could be done to turn this tide in our (Corvette's) favor. Any ideas out there?

I thought id put a 10 year old pic of my 93 beside a 93 porsche convertible that I found on ebay.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
And with Corvette pounding them into the dirt at the race track, Porsche has had to resort to segment timing at the Nordshliefe. They are nervous beyond their facade.
I guarentee you Porsche is not "nervous".

As for Ring times, Porsche doesn't consider that track as anything more than a test track. They publish Ring times for their cars, but they are not in any "competition" with any other manufacturer there. There is no official "Ring lap time competition" with associated protocal, or independent verification. Ring times are for advertising, and Porsche doesn't need to hang their hat on attempting to post the lowest lap time there as the selling point of their sports cars is more about how the car drives, not what its Ring lap time is. If Porsche attempted to reduce lap times at the expense of how the car drives, there would be a massive revolt in the Porsche enthusiast world.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I guess that's why weekend racers don't choose Porsche........
Old 01-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dave68
The majority of people who take their cars to the track do so not to win money or trophies, and as I'm sure you know, lap times for the "weekend" guys are more about the driver than the car.

The run of the mill 911 isn't designed with the track in mind. As a matter of fact, the warranty manuals of these 911s specifically states that the warranty does not apply to cars taken to the track. From the 996 (911) Porsche Warranty Manual describing what the warranty does not cover..."Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing or track use...".
Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 PM
ED77KATR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z06inVB
I honestly could not tell a first year 911 from a newer model. The car never interested me.
I might Add its Ugly too...
Old 01-23-2013, 11:20 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Notch
The majority of people who take their cars to the track do so not to win money or trophies, and as I'm sure you know, lap times for the "weekend" guys are more about the driver than the car.

The run of the mill 911 isn't designed with the track in mind. As a matter of fact, the warranty manuals of these 911s specifically states that the warranty does not apply to cars taken to the track. From the 996 (911) Porsche Warranty Manual describing what the warranty does not cover..."Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing or track use...".
But isn't that like designing and selling a lifted 4 x 4 that always gets blown away by 4xs that cost half as much? Hey, the steering and shocks' "feel" is superior, their motto may state but isn't that a bit ironic? ....kinda like a tennis racket that cost twice as much as rackets that frequently help top players to win at Wimbleton. The costly racket feels good in the hand but wilts under competitive play...... I guess the "win at the track, sell at the dealership" rule doesn't apply with Porsches?

Last edited by Dave68; 01-23-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:36 PM
Notch
Safety Car

But isn't that like designing and selling a lifted 4 x 4 that always gets blown away by 4xs that cost half as much?
Objective performance data are not the only things important about a sports car. I'd offer that the vast majority of sports car owners do not take their cars to the track, and that the vast majority of sports car owners do not engage in street racing. So there is little "always gets blown away" going on in their lives.

I guess the "win at the track, sell at the dealership" rule doesn't apply with Porsches?
As I said, there is no "win at the track" as it applies to testing at the Ring. There is no formal program, there is no governing body, and there is no independent verification.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:01 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Nice try op...didnt work...OP has 2 post...he/she/it is a trolll...

Last edited by ATC399; 01-24-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:24 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by arkus

Both 1984
Use a 911 with stock rims and not 996 (i think) wheels
Old 01-25-2013, 11:02 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I like the 911 a bunch but would never own one. There isn't much difference between generations. Only a Porsche nut can tell if a 911 came from this generation or the last one. Look at the base 911 for around $90k.

The Boxster/Cayman are just cheaper entry level Porsches that would probably perform better than the 911 if allowed to.

Not a big fan of the Panamera or Cayenne also.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:22 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Whoa......now who can argue with that?
Donno. I'll take the porsche - I don't want to drive a freaking shark with a freaking laser attached to its head.

I think that's why 911 ages so well - it was designed to be subtle and non-offensive while corvette designers always exaggerate the contemporary trends some of which like polyester pants and wedge-like C4 are best forgotten.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:30 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Some do. The local porsche shop here actually specializes in preparing cars for weekend races. The main issue with racing Porsche or any other expensive car it can be difficult to afford it. That;s why miata is the most popular weekend racer car out there. Racing porsches can get very expensive, very quickly

Last edited by PeterK; 01-26-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:56 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,144 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterK
Donno. I'll take the porsche - I don't want to drive a freaking shark with a freaking laser attached to its head.

I think that's why 911 ages so well - it was designed to be subtle and non-offensive while corvette designers always exaggerate the contemporary trends some of which like polyester pants and wedge-like C4 are best forgotten.
"Subtle and non-offensive." Now that would be a great advertising campaign. Accurate though........yawn........
Old 01-26-2013, 06:11 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

"Subtle and non-offensive." Now that would be a great advertising campaign. Accurate though........yawn........
It is a driver's car for mature audience who doesn't blaze their chest hair. It doesn't need giant fake air scoops or kitsch body creases.

What 911 lacks in appearance, it makes 10 fold in built quality. My 10 year old car has been amazingly solid. Last time I took it for service, open the door of a 911 from 1973. It had over 100K on it but the interior fit and finish was still flawless. The door closed with the thunk of a brand new car. Both of my corvettes started to rattle within month of purchase and the panel fit was getting worse and worse every year.

Last edited by PeterK; 01-26-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:03 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,144 Likes on 541 Posts

It is a driver's car for mature audience who doesn't blaze their chest hair. It doesn't need giant fake air scoops or kitsch body creases.

What 911 lacks in appearance, it makes 10 fold in built quality. My 10 year old car has been amazingly solid. Last time I took it for service, open the door of a 911 from 1973. It had over 100K on it but the interior fit and finish was still flawless. The door closed with the thunk of a brand new car. Both of my corvettes started to rattle within month of purchase and the panel fit was getting worse and worse every year.

I've been hearing this BS from P owners for years. I bought a brand new '95 911 and it was a POS. Porsche ended up buying it back from me as lemon. A good buddy of mine has a 2006 911 C4 and it's very nice....very solid.......very stoic......very boring. It's gets the job done very well, but nothing more. There is nothing exciting about his car. The short wheelbase looks very awkward.....talk about "dated." It's only special to the Porsche freaks......the interior quality in my wife's Mercedes blows it away, and he even admitted the interior on my 370Z was nicer. His 911 rattles way more than any of my C6's have.....the most recent of which doesn't rattle at all. The 911 turbo is, of course, a different story, but now were talking about a car in a completely different price range. The 911 is an overpriced, over-hyped Xanax. I'm glad you like it and I don't disparage you for that, but to dismiss Corvette fans as hairy chested kitsch lovers is pure ignorance on your part. Typical Porsche elitism at it's finest.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 PM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

i have both , apples and oranges.
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To Why doesn't Corvette age as well as say a 911?

Old 01-27-2013, 12:38 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Some do. The local porsche shop here actually specializes in preparing cars for weekend races. The main issue with racing Porsche or any other expensive car it can be difficult to afford it. That;s why miata is the most popular weekend racer car out there. Racing porsches can get very expensive, very quickly
Miata owners race against themselves for good reason. I really like MX5s but they cost half what a Boxster does, so no one expects an MX5 to be king of the track. Porsches, on the other hand, cost a fortune because their profit margin is as high as Apple's. You would EXPECT a stock 911 to blow away a Z06 on the track but try as they may, it just doesn't happen too often.
The Ferrari Italia does very well on the track and for the money, it should. Now, a used Porsche may represent a decent purchase if fun, daily driving is the goal. However, should the FR-S and BRZ have a turbo option, my money is there vs a Boxster or Cayman.

Last edited by Dave68; 01-27-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:16 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

I've been hearing this BS from P owners for years. I bought a brand new '95 911 and it was a POS. Porsche ended up buying it back from me as lemon. A good buddy of mine has a 2006 911 C4 and it's very nice....very solid.......very stoic......very boring. It's gets the job done very well, but nothing more. There is nothing exciting about his car. The short wheelbase looks very awkward.....talk about "dated." It's only special to the Porsche freaks......the interior quality in my wife's Mercedes blows it away, and he even admitted the interior on my 370Z was nicer. His 911 rattles way more than any of my C6's have.....the most recent of which doesn't rattle at all. The 911 turbo is, of course, a different story, but now were talking about a car in a completely different price range. The 911 is an overpriced, over-hyped Xanax. I'm glad you like it and I don't disparage you for that, but to dismiss Corvette fans as hairy chested kitsch lovers is pure ignorance on your part. Typical Porsche elitism at it's finest.
Oh, I'm not poo-pooing corvettes, far from it. I owned two C5 in my late 20s/early 30 and though that they were the bee's knees. But as I grown more mature I grew apart from the corvettes and really appreciate the though and effort that porsche invested to keep the 911 timeless.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:19 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Miata owners race against themselves for good reason. I really like MX5s but they cost half what a Boxster does, so no one expects an MX5 to be king of the track. Porsches, on the other hand, cost a fortune because their profit margin is as high as Apple's. You would EXPECT a stock 911 to blow away a Z06 on the track but try as they may, it just doesn't happen too often.
The Ferrari Italia does very well on the track and for the money, it should. Now, a used Porsche may represent a decent purchase if fun, daily driving is the goal. However, should the FR-S and BRZ have a turbo option, my money is there vs a Boxster or Cayman.
Without looking at the spreadsheet, I can neither agree nor disagree with you. One could argue that GM's profit margin on corvettes should be as high and maybe even higher. After all, corvettes are made very cheaply and GM can amortize the costs of developing engine and most other parts across their entire car and truck lineup. Porsche did not have this luxury until the recent takeover from VW.

Last edited by PeterK; 01-27-2013 at 08:25 AM.