Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Picking up my new DD on Friday....2013 Audi S4!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Picking up my new DD on Friday....2013 Audi S4!!

After nearly 6 great years with my current Acura TL Type S.... hands down one of the best/dependable cars I have owned, I have decided to pull the trigger on a new 2013 Audi S4. I have owned 4 Acuras over the past 13 years and its been a good ride. The current lineup just doesnt appeal to me that much despite really trying to like it. I wanted a sedan that offered a bit more in the driving/performance department as well. After much research the S4 fit the bill the best.

The car is Silver over Black (leather/alcantera seats)
7 speed S-Tronic dual clutch trans
19" wheels/summer tires
Sports differential with drive select
Bang and Olufsen Sound
MMI Navigation/Audi connect
Audi Advance Key
Carbon inlays

Have a connection at a local Audi dealer here, negotiated the whole deal over the phone over the course of a couple of hours, got the car for invoice, got another $1K incentive and got good trade money on my car so it was a nice smooth deal.

Before "Dave 68" and the rest of the German car bashers say anything..... I know, its not likely going to be quite as reliable as my previous cars but I dont really care, its under warranty and I dont plan on owning it out of warranty.... If I wanted a Mazda, Hybrid Lexus or Prius I would have bought it.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Congratulations on an excellent choice. The s4 with the DCT is awesome.

I would suggest visiting the Audi forums and eventually buying an extended warranty. If you figure another 6 year term......that will serve you well.....

Looking forward to reports etc on how you like it..
Old 04-03-2013, 08:26 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Cruise-In XI Veteran

Honestly I dont expect to keep this car as long as my last, if I should keep it longer than the the initial warranty period I will certainly extend the factory warranty. I actually still have Acura Care bumber to bumper warranty on my TL for another 12 months that I will be cashing in for a pro-rated refund. I dont like owning cars that are not covered under warranty. I ran the GMPP out as far as I could on my 02 Z06.... it was covered until July of 2011...LOL!!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

You're gonna love it. My wife bought a new '12 S4 last year and I love driving it. Her's is a 6 speed, and the thing flat out moves. I'm dying to take it to the track to see if I can get it in the '12's...but she won't let me. I know it has 12's in it. With the AWD, the acceleration out of the hole is impressive. I made a guy in a newer style Mustang GT feel real bad one day. But I won't get into that.

After driving her car, if I could only have one car for everyday, all year driving, it would be either an S4 or S6. Awesome cars, and the interiors put just about anything to shame.
Congrats on your purchase!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:29 AM
tom46818
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a Audi S4 for my wife about four months ago and she loves it!
Old 04-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Rick B
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2010, best daily driver I have ever owned.
I installed the pulley kit and had the ECU re-programmed at 10k
Just turned 40k, with no problems whatsoever.
The snow shoes will come off this weekend and a fresh set of summer rubber will go on.
The audiworld forum is a great source of info.
My two previous Audi's were wagons, I wish they offered the S4 Avant here in the states
Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

did you do it?
Old 04-06-2013, 10:34 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Cruise-In XI Veteran

Picked it up last night!!!! I have to say that the purchase of this car was hands down the best experience I have had and this is the 22nd vehicle I have owned. The Audi/Porsche Exchange in Highland Park, IL is a class act operation hands down. I love the car, for the limited time I have spent in it (have driven other B8 S4's) I am really impressed with the ride, handling, solid build quality/materials and power. The S-Tronic trans is amazing.... I still like to row my own but my wife will also drive this car from time to time so a 3rd pedal car was not going to work..... the car is silky smooth for non aggressive style driving but go to dynamic mode on the drive select and manually shift the gears via paddles or shifter. It is amazing how fast the shifts take place both up and down.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

....funny you should mention Acura and Audi, MV,

...from Road & Track's 2010 long-term Audi S4 review......

If you haven't already noticed our profound affinity for the S4, let us add that there hasn't been a vehicle as universally liked since our long-term supercharged Jaguar XF or beloved Audi R8. That being said, the headaches caused from needing our 6-speed manual transmission to be replaced at only 16,000 miles (due to a reverse gear glitch) and being temporarily stranded on the road at 22,000 miles by a failed thermostat (draining all the coolant from our engine) would have us definitely reevaluating our investment, had we been the actual owners of this otherwise excellent midsize sports sedan.
In this round of head versus heart, we could on one hand deem these issues a fluke and stand by our original purchase, or we could essentially trade it in, as is, for a brand-new, fully loaded Acura TL SH-AWD—a car that proved incident-free for 31,000 miles under our watch.
I think you did mention that the Audi would most likely never be as reliable as your Acura, my Lexus, or even my Mazda, but the price you pay for buying a high-performance and luxurious vehicle such as this may be only some extra trips to the dealership and high depreciation - both of which you are well aware.

I actually went the opposite direction (today) with an 08 Mazda PRHT MX-5 Touring model with cloth seats (grip better than leather, IMO) and a 6-speed. Yes, I will attempt to teach my wife how to drive it, but if she does have the desire and the talent, this will be the most fun car she will ever drive (unless, of course, we get a Boxter-S). The steering is so quick and the feedback so high that I have to focus on NOT over-steering at very high rates of speed.
I really did ponder a more luxurious ride, but with a loaded C5 and Lexus, what would be the point? I'm sure I will never fall asleep at THIS wheel, even with the top-up!

Still, I'd like to congratulate you on your purchase.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:14 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave68

I think you did mention that the Audi would most likely never be as reliable as your Acura, my Lexus, or even my Mazda, but the price you pay for buying a high-performance and luxurious vehicle such as this may be only some extra trips to the dealership and high depreciation - both of which you are well aware.

I actually went the opposite direction (today) with an 08 Mazda PRHT MX-5 Touring model with cloth seats (grip better than leather, IMO) and a 6-speed. Yes, I will attempt to teach my wife how to drive it, but if she does have the desire and the talent, this will be the most fun car she will ever drive (unless, of course, we get a Boxter-S). The steering is so quick and the feedback so high that I have to focus on NOT over-steering at very high rates of speed.
I really did ponder a more luxurious ride, but with a loaded C5 and Lexus, what would be the point? I'm sure I will never fall asleep at THIS wheel, even with the top-up!

It's so funny what you choose to quote. It had a few issues, such is life. The OP's car is a few model years newer than R&Ts car and those issues (along with the well documented oil consumption issue I'm surprised you didn't point out ) have been worked out. The part I think you should take away from that quote was this: "there hasn't been a vehicle as universally liked since our long-term supercharged Jaguar XF or beloved Audi R8". And WRT Lexus need I tell the story of my Lemon again? Look at all the recalls Toyota has been having as a corporation overall.

To the OP, get the APR tune: http://www.goapr.com/

-TJ
Old 04-07-2013, 09:50 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Cruise-In XI Veteran

Originally Posted by Dave68

2 years back I spent a significant amount of time behind the wheel of a 4th gen TL SH-AWD while my TL was in the shop waiting on a part (back ordered), since then they have put in a 6 speed auto (I have to have an auto trans in this vehicle for my wife to drive it occasionally) which is supposed to be a decent improvement from what I have read from both publications and various Acura forums I belong to. I have been spending quite a bit of time on the Audi forums as of late and it would simply blow your mind how many others are driving B8 S4's after owning multiple Acuras...... Not one person who says they are sorry for switching to Audi and not one of them had anything bad to say about Acura. The S4 is on another planet in terms of behind the wheel experience, its much more of a "driver's" car, waaay better performance in a straight line and in the twisties and it's absolutely ROCK SOLID with one of the best interiors around. The tech in the car is absolutely mind blowing.... I had no complaints about the SH-AWD TL I drove other than not coming around on the new look (personal preference). I will maintain that Acura builds a fantastic car and provides a solid ownership experience but I needed more and unfortunately Acura doesnt build that car. So for me its a trade off.... I honestly believe that I will likely have an extra couple of visits to the dealer for warranty/maintenance along with paying significantly more upfront for the vehicle. As far as Im concerned its worth it for the ride, feel, build quality and looks.... I have not been this excited about a car in a loooong time so for me its well worth the price of admission.

Congrats on the MX-5.... its a blast to drive and Im sure will make you happy and at the end of the day that is all that matters... your happy and so am I.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Agreed. I did drive a 2014 Mazda 6 and was pleasantly surprised at how well it handled for a 3200 lb vehicle. Bang-for-buck in its category (Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, and Nissan Altima), it is a step above all others. My cost (with family discount) for the top-of-the-line model with laser cruise (one of the few options) would be about $28K. Unfortunately, it won't fit in the garage where my MX6 GT is parked, so I decided to go lighter than my C5, which weighs about the same as the 6. The MX5 is so small that I have lots of room around it to use my workshop with car there.

By the way, the latest issue of Road & Track (Fixer expert repair advice column) includes some information about direct injection in response to a reader's question about an Audi S5's propensity to accumulate carbon buildup. Requests sent to Audi about PCV system details were left unanswered. The editor went on to suggest that those who have direct injection engines, invest in a good catch can (cheap insurance).

If you weren't planning to do so, you might want to keep an eye on carbon buildup, which can be cleaned under warranty.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good choice! Be sure to post up some pics so we can see her!

How do you like that supercharged V6?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:07 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Cruise-In XI Veteran

I love the supercharged 3.0, its got a diesel like torque curve so while you dont get that build up of speed like an engine that builds power as rpm's increase..... it just puts you back in the seat and you can just watch the speedo climb. The car is extremely deceptive in terms of you feeling like your crawling along and when you look down at the speedo you say something like.... OH ****...LOL!!! My Passport 8500 is going to come in handy in this car.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Congrats! Audis are nice cars, any pics.

Get notified of new replies

To Picking up my new DD on Friday....2013 Audi S4!!

Quick Reply: Picking up my new DD on Friday....2013 Audi S4!!