Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Viper TA bests ZR1 record around Leguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 01:41 PM
C5Z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Viper TA bests ZR1 record around Leguna Seca

New Viper TA beats ZR1 record around Leguna Seca by .08 seconds.

Keep in mind this car was built specifically for this purpose after the Viper team was embarrassed by the ZR1. After which excuses and poor sport comments were made by SRT boss Ralph Gilles. He complained about the tires the ZR1 used, and then complained that driver Randy Pobst always struggles with the Viper; to which Randy countered, "Well, yeah I've always had a hard time with cars that don't handle well."

So after all the whining they rolled up their sleeves and purposely tuned this new viper to squeak out a win against a dated platform that is now out of production. Way to go Team viper
Old 05-03-2013, 02:16 PM
C5Z
Instructor

Wow, originally posted in ZR1 forum and the moderators moved it to the boondocks. I thought this info was more of a testament of how good the ZR1 was, to necessitate the building of a race purpose Viper to only beat the record by less than a tenth of a second.

I guess the Moderators are afraid someone will get their feelings hurt.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:30 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Z
Wow, originally posted in ZR1 forum and the moderators moved it to the boondocks. I thought this info was more of a testament of how good the ZR1 was, to necessitate the building of a race purpose Viper to only beat the record by less than a tenth of a second.

I guess the Moderators are afraid someone will get their feelings hurt.
The car was just as "special" as the ZR1 this topic was moved because you are also the Zr1 is now extinct, the corvette will not be in the vipers league until the performance version is released, which should be in 2016?
I have a feeling that corvette is going to to an L88 which is going to kick some butt.

End result all these cars are getting so fast, that whatever car win will be by a close margin, its just going to come down to which car you prefer in looks and feel.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:42 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C5Z
New Viper TA beats ZR1 record around Leguna Seca by .08 seconds.

Keep in mind this car was built specifically for this purpose after the Viper team was embarrassed by the ZR1. After which excuses and poor sport comments were made by SRT boss Ralph Gilles. He complained about the tires the ZR1 used, and then complained that driver Randy Pobst always struggles with the Viper; to which Randy countered, "Well, yeah I've always had a hard time with cars that don't handle well."

So after all the whining they rolled up their sleeves and purposely tuned this new viper to squeak out a win against a dated platform that is now out of production. Way to go Team viper
The vipers used were production mules, they are not the cars that are hitting lots right now, team viper made a bad move , but quickly fixed it and will continue it tweak it, 1st year ZR1's didn't put up the great numbers it did at the end, all cars are tweaked every year, if you don't think the viper isn't going to get quicker you are

SRT won't make that same mistake, when corvettes performance model comes out, I would say that is when the ACR will be released, Ralph has hinted about F/I , I would love to see that out of a production viper, I sure as hell know what past F/I does, my v-10 LOVES F/I
Old 05-03-2013, 06:55 PM
C5Z
Instructor

Right, you are stating the obvious. Of course the viper will get quicker, the poor sportsmanship antics and the scrambling to catch up to a now obsolete car is somewhat amusing. Considering a decade ago most wouldn't even consider a Corvette in the same performance category as the Viper.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:15 PM
LEE427
V10LEE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

C5Z on the same Michelin sport cup tires like on the ZR1. The TA Viper was 2 seconds faster than the ZR1..
Old 05-03-2013, 11:49 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C5Z
Right, you are stating the obvious. Of course the viper will get quicker, the poor sportsmanship antics and the scrambling to catch up to a now obsolete car is somewhat amusing. Considering a decade ago most wouldn't even consider a Corvette in the same performance category as the Viper.
You have a bad chip on your shoulder, Poor sportsmanship? Hahahahahha , in reality it is called good competition.

Viper isn't scrambling for anything, the performance model isn't out yet, they just covered the blunder they made with sending mules to test against a proven , improved, seasoned car, which has seem a lot of track time in the last 4 years.

Corvette was used to getting killed by the viper until a man name Bob Lutz left team viper to work for team corvette, that car ended up being the 2006 Z06, which became the 1st corvette to outperform any viper ever.

Team viper came back in 2008 , then the Corvette ZR1, then the Viper ACR, I call it good competition, without it foreign cars would be killing American cars, I don't know why the hell you are whining.

Ohhh darn American makes some of the fastest cars on the planet...... Ohhh that sucks (much sarcasm)

Last edited by NytmereZ; 05-03-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:17 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LEE427
C5Z on the same Michelin sport cup tires like on the ZR1. The TA Viper was 2 seconds faster than the ZR1..
100% False

At what track? What was the lap time? Ralph made a comment that they tested the
TA with 19" Cup tires (not ZP) and got some lap times 2 sec faster than the Corsas. Never said what the times were or the track. When Pobst ran the TA at LS they put some Michelin Racing slicks on the car and ran a time 3 sec faster. I am sorry but a cup tire is not only 1 sec or less slower than a true race slick. Ask anyone who has run both on their car.

So why didn't they bring a ZR1 back out to test against the TA? They weren't sure that they were faster and couldn't risk Pobst getting a better ZR1 time in different conditions.

Last edited by racerns; 05-04-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:55 PM
boost2na
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
in reality it is called good competition
It really is. People can fight about this day in and day out online; the irony is that in the end WE win (corvette and viper owners). Once the kinks are worked out the new viper will be what it is because of the ZR1. And you can bet that the C7Z is going to be what it is because of the viper.

I LOVE to see the camps competing like this. The end result is going to be team America anally violating foreign exotics to an extent we've never seen. Last time they needed ibuprofen and a walker, this time they're gonna need a wheelchair.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:33 PM
C5Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
You have a bad chip on your shoulder, Poor sportsmanship? Hahahahahha , in reality it is called good competition.

Viper isn't scrambling for anything, the performance model isn't out yet, they just covered the blunder they made with sending mules to test against a proven , improved, seasoned car, which has seem a lot of track time in the last 4 years.

Corvette was used to getting killed by the viper until a man name Bob Lutz left team viper to work for team corvette, that car ended up being the 2006 Z06, which became the 1st corvette to outperform any viper ever.

Team viper came back in 2008 , then the Corvette ZR1, then the Viper ACR, I call it good competition, without it foreign cars would be killing American cars, I don't know why the hell you are whining.

Ohhh darn American makes some of the fastest cars on the planet...... Ohhh that sucks (much sarcasm)
Actually I have no chip. Complaining about an impartial pro driver not being able to run a faster time is simply poor sportsmanship. And hell yes they were scrambling, they put that car together as fast as possible with the specific intent on beating the ZR1, and created a separate sub model in doing so.

And I'm not whining, originally posted this in the ZR1 section b/c it was relevant to that car, and it's record getting beaten. Softened it up a little or I'd have the ZR1 guys on my *** accusing me of being a Viper troll.... Got moved to the boondocks where I now have the Viper guys all cranky

Emotional guys like you always assume everyone else has the same level of passion as yourself, hence the accusations of whining where there was none and child-like sarcasm. Your antics are nearly as amusing as Ralph Gillis'.

Last edited by C5Z; 05-04-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Always loved both cars and believe through competition, they make each other just that much better. Either car is more powerful and faster than anything you would ever realistically use on the street. I'd love to have both in my garage.

-Alex

Get notified of new replies

To Viper TA bests ZR1 record around Leguna Seca

Quick Reply: Viper TA bests ZR1 record around Leguna Seca