Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Opinions on 986 Porsche Boxsters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 05:00 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
All depends upon how closely and how often you can push each car to its limit. For most folks using cars like these to drive to work or for weekend cruises, there will be little, if any increased fun factor when comparing the MX-5 to a Boxster.
It doesn't take pushing a Boxster to the limit to enjoy the mid-engine experience. There is a big difference between the front engine arrangement and the mid-engine arrangement even at street legal speeds.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:06 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

I think one only needs to consider that MX5 is a copy of a vintage british sports car. Boxter is a modern german car.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Notch
It doesn't take pushing a Boxster to the limit to enjoy the mid-engine experience. There is a big difference between the front engine arrangement and the mid-engine arrangement even at street legal speeds.
I didn't find that to be the case. The Boxster does have more amenities than my touring edition MX-5, but they do nothing to augment pure driving satisfaction. Remember, too that some people can differentiate a $5000 stereo system (auto) from a $2500 system. If I can't appreciate a significant difference, then the "high end" system wouldn't be worth the money to me. I guess that's why I'd rather buy a $1200 Windows ultrabook over a $2200 Apple equivalent.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by PeterK
I think one only needs to consider that MX5 is a copy of a vintage british sports car. Boxter is a modern german car.
My former coworker had his Boxster's 100,000 mile clutch replaced, along with a few other"issues". The bill was $6000. My niece had her MX-5's clutch replaced at about the same mileage. Her bill was $600.

Mazda makes its cars simple so that even an average Joe can own one, long after the warranty has expired. For that, I admire this company. I can't say the same for Porsche.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Notch
Safety Car

I didn't find that to be the case. The Boxster does have more amenities than my touring edition MX-5, but they do nothing to augment pure driving satisfaction. Remember, too that some people can differentiate a $5000 stereo system (auto) from a $2500 system. If I can't appreciate a significant difference, then the "high end" system wouldn't be worth the money to me. I guess that's why I'd rather buy a $1200 Windows ultrabook over a $2200 Apple equivalent.
Who said anything about amenities?? I am talking about the driving experience, not listening experience, or leather experience, or anything other than the man-machine driving interface experience.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Notch
Safety Car

My former coworker had his Boxster's 100,000 mile clutch replaced, along with a few other"issues". The bill was $6000. My niece had her MX-5's clutch replaced at about the same mileage. Her bill was $600.

Mazda makes its cars simple so that even an average Joe can own one, long after the warranty has expired. For that, I admire this company. I can't say the same for Porsche.
Whether or not someone can afford to own a Boxster in no way impacts the outstanding mid-engine driving experience someone gets while driving the car.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:31 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Dave86 is an idiot. I'm not sure why he's permanently attached himself to Mazda's *******, but he's far too busy with his face in their nether region to see that there are better cars. Come on, you're using a survey taken on a MX-5 owner's forum to prove that MX-5s are comfortable for bigger guys? Let the OP just go sit in one and figure it out.

I love driving a well setup NA Miata... for about an hour. Then I want some power if I'm on the track or some comfort if I'm not. NBs and NCs just got progressively softer, heavier and less rewarding to drive without too much in the way of comfort or power gains.

A nicely setup 986 will be rewarding to drive, but comfortable at the same time. It's also a unique driving experience that you can't really get without spending a ton more money (or living with a old-*** MR2). Miatas or Buttsters are going to get you flack for having a girl's car, so you might as well have the better one to drive...

-TJ
Old 05-20-2013, 09:58 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Notch
Who said anything about amenities?? I am talking about the driving experience, not listening experience, or leather experience, or anything other than the man-machine driving interface experience.
I was comparing attributes and differences between the two cars, based upon my own driving experiences.

Whether or not someone can afford to own a Boxster in no way impacts the outstanding mid-engine driving experience someone gets while driving the car.
I brought up cost differences because of Peter's comment about British sports cars and German engineering. Mazda is somewhat like GM with the Corvette in that they produce more bang for the buck sports cars. Sales figure comparisons show that this is a good strategy with total sales of MX5 well over one million. (and we all know how impractical sports cars can be.....
Old 05-20-2013, 07:59 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

You must agree that the price of owning a used boxster compares favorably to the price of owning other used mid-engined cars that can be had in this price range e.g. F328, lotus elise, etc.

Last edited by PeterK; 05-20-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Yes, I agree, but as we all should know, just because you can buy something, doesn't necessarily mean you can afford it. Certainly, though, you can keep expenses low by not piling on the miles. I noticed that there are far more high-mileage MX-5s of current generation than there are high-mileage Boxsters. Perhaps the fun per dollar ratio for MXs allows folks to drive more often.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:48 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I also noticed the excellent pricing on what seem like low mileage well cared for boaters but his story about high maintaince costs have kept me away.

Any aftermarket warranties that could be purchased to avoid horrid pitfalls? Ie complete engine failure?
Old 05-21-2013, 02:16 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I also noticed the excellent pricing on what seem like low mileage well cared for boaters but his story about high maintaince costs have kept me away.

Any aftermarket warranties that could be purchased to avoid horrid pitfalls? Ie complete engine failure?
You certainly can.

Quick Reply: Opinions on 986 Porsche Boxsters?