Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

MT Best Drivers Cart 2013. No C7 Erghh

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 03:39 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also think the C7 wouldn't have won this thing but I bet it would have beat the Focus! I have to think MT put Viper in last to try and win back some of the credibility they lost when they 'recompared' the Viper using the juiced T/A.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

in around 2005 or 2006 R&T picked the C6 coupe over 9 other sports cars.
The C6 was faster around the track than the Viper SRT/10, Porsche boxster,911,BMW Z4, the MB350 and every other car they had out there.

They chose it as the best sports car.

Imagine; allowing track performance numbers to pick a winner in a "sports car" catagory

To the opposite end; MT picking the Ridgeline as "best truck"... when it's built on a car chassis to begin with

Originally Posted by Guibo
What makes AutoWeek anymore trustworthy or a benchmark.
that was my opinion; I thought I made that clear.

But isn't that the way it is suppose to be? You are right that they can manipulate the final result based on the "Fun to Drive" rating, etc, but I would expect that the "winner" is the car they thought was best overall.
I hear ya, but that is exactly what theyt want you to believe - so as to hide their bias towards a certain mfgr(s).

I find them all to offer good information....unless you don't happen to like the vehicle they like, then they are crap
looks to me that you don't happen to like the person - if they have anything negative to say about your fav magazine.

link?
it was back in 2005. I'm not making this up; seems your feelings might have gotten bruised because one of your "trusted" magazines looks bad. Don't take it out on me.

Instead; don't practice blind-faith in anything these days ... especially in me. Find it yourself; apparently that's the only way you will believe in facts.

And Hey... I'm the same way.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you mean the TA that set the Laguna record with Pirellis and steel brakes?
Old 08-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
in around 2005 or 2006 R&T picked the C6 coupe over 9 other sports cars.
The C6 was faster around the track than the Viper SRT/10, Porsche boxster,911,BMW Z4, the MB350 and every other car they had out there.
They chose it as the best sports car.
Imagine; allowing track performance numbers to pick a winner in a "sports car" catagory
They rated the C6 over the other cars after points were tallied, yes. But which car did they like driving the most?
Sports cars are not all about track performance. You seem to be confusing that with race car.

that was my opinion; I thought I made that clear.
Sure it's your opinion, but I wanted to know why you think one mag is better than another. I thought I made that clear.

it was back in 2005. I'm not making this up; seems your feelings might have gotten bruised because one of your "trusted" magazines looks bad. Don't take it out on me.
I'm not saying you made it up. I just wanted to see which test it was. There have been other tests where the scoring wasn't anywhere near that close. And some tests where the "GM-hating, German-loving" C&D picked the Corvette. So...?
Old 08-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

I'm not saying you made it up. I just wanted to see which test it was. There have been other tests where the scoring wasn't anywhere near that close. And some tests where the "GM-hating, German-loving" C&D picked the Corvette. So...?
I hear ya guy; but since I'm not in a cult... you won't see me respond in a knee-jerk damage-control manor, just because someone says something contrary to what I tend to believe and/or trust.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

I hear ya guy; but since I'm not in a cult... you won't see me respond in a knee-jerk damage-control manor, just because someone says something contrary to what I tend to believe and/or trust.
But it sounds like that's how you've responded to MT and C&D test results.
In any event, I found that 2005 test. The Corvette ranked a very close 2nd. But trailing by a much wider margin was the SLK (German with 184 total points) and Crossfire SRT (half-German since it's based on the previous SLK, with 148 points). So much for the love of all things German!
Old 08-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

So much for the love of all things German!
I hear ya; though a German car was declared the winner.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

I hear ya; though a German car was declared the winner.
Is that all that matters though? A German and half-German were declared the loser(s).
Old 08-22-2013, 04:45 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Don't fret over this guys; Motor Trend is no longer the benchmark publication they once were.

Over the past 7 years or so, they have been found to:

* favor a car just because it is cheaper than its compettitors. So even though the car that costs more is better, they give the cheap car the win just because its a lower MSRP.

* if it's not a Honda or Toyota (who both advertise heavily in the publication), or a German kar - it's downgraded.

* If its a new, its better, even when it isn't. If its a BMW or Honda, its automatically innovative and revolutionary.

* more and more of their writers are young second generation import drivers.

* a lot of testing is done without a "third wheel" for verification. And, if the car they like - does not perform to the factory listed times - they post the mfgrs specs for 0-60 and 1/4 mile (instead of the slower numbers they actually got with the car).

and last (but not least)

* MT chose the Honda Ridgeline as truck of the year.

Ok I'll save this post for next year and when the C7/Z06 smokes this test...just remember MT does not matter...lmmfao
Old 08-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Is that all that matters though? A German and half-German were declared the loser(s).
Exactly how funny is that "All the Magazines favor German Cars", then "But weren't the 2 bottom cars German?", followed by "Yes but they gave first place to the one because it was German, they favor German Cars"

LMAO, forever BMW won everything. Why?? Because they made the best driving cars. Back then everyone thought all the Magazines were in bed with BMW, at least everyone that did not own one. So now that they do not win every time it is German Cars even though many German Cars are at the bottom, but the M3, Boxster, and 911 are consistently at the top. Maybe BMW and Porsche tell them we will line your pockets with advertising, but only if you put the Boxster, 911, and M3 at the top. Do not worry about our other model cars, we do not care where the rest of them rank.

LMAO
Old 08-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jimmyb
They sent them a POS. Seriously, how does a car company like SRT send a car to be tested with mis-matched (and worn out) tires...as far as stuff breaking, that's a head scratcher. No one is going to accuse Viper of being comfortable, but this test car was falling apart. Hopefully it was a pre-production car.

Jimmy

PS. After Ralph whined earlier in the year about Randy being afraid (at some level) of the Viper, based on this performance, it seems Randy had more to fear than just an UNSORTED car.
Been thinking about it and you guys are right. Ralph is such a perfectionist no way he would have sent the car they described, something isn't right.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:48 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

It's tough these days.

But blind faith is not smart either

Right now, I only trust AutoWeek; but I still keep a cautious eye.

I trust C&D and MT - about as much as a NBC news "911 tape"
I agree with you that blind faith is not smart. I also understand that what is important in a car to one person may not be as important to others. My biggest pet peeves about the magazines is that they test econoboxes and pick the one that is the most fun to drive, even though that is not the criteria that most econobox customers care about (this just being an example).

I have not read AutoWeek in many years. Maybe I should reconsider. They are forever sending me e-mails and mail with all sorts of offers. I appreciate the input from you on them.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:52 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Been thinking about it and you guys are right. Ralph is such a perfectionist no way he would have sent the car they described, something isn't right.
I had to laugh at this response. What it really says is that Ralph is more likely to send a "ringer" than a rattle trap. I remember the days (yes, I'm that age) in the '60s when it was not out of the question for a manufacturer to send a muscle car to be tested that might have had....oh, let's say a 421 Pontiac tri-power instead of a 389 tri-power that the car supposedly had in it.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:28 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

From the Viper Forum..lol.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/...-everything(MT)
Old 08-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jschindler
I had to laugh at this response. What it really says is that Ralph is more likely to send a "ringer" than a rattle trap. I remember the days (yes, I'm that age) in the '60s when it was not out of the question for a manufacturer to send a muscle car to be tested that might have had....oh, let's say a 421 Pontiac tri-power instead of a 389 tri-power that the car supposedly had in it.
So the questions begs then as I said, why would he send a rat? There were bragging rights back in the 60's too but in this era the old 99 rights and the 1 wrong will make the news every time. Parts flying off, loose seat bolts, roasted tires? Come on there isn't something wrong with this picture? Seems like someone has an agenda to me...MT.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:43 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by DRLC5
Do Robots smoke Pot !!!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:56 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Do Robots smoke Pot !!!
Why yes...yes they do.

Get notified of new replies

To MT Best Drivers Cart 2013. No C7 Erghh

Old 08-22-2013, 08:18 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by DRLC5

Certainly got the Viper guys' attention.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:20 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
So the questions begs then as I said, why would he send a rat? There were bragging rights back in the 60's too but in this era the old 99 rights and the 1 wrong will make the news every time. Parts flying off, loose seat bolts, roasted tires? Come on there isn't something wrong with this picture? Seems like someone has an agenda to me...MT.

So somehow MT is responsible for the parts flying off, loose seat bolts, roasted tires? And don't forget the the brake pedal issue. MT rigged that, too?
Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by OnPoint
So somehow MT is responsible for the parts flying off, loose seat bolts, roasted tires? And don't forget the the brake pedal issue. MT rigged that, too?
I didn't say that, my innuendo was that I don't believe it. So MT has this one car and all these crazy things just by coincidence happen to this one car.

A company that has been proudly building this car for 3 years provides a reviewer with something this inferior? Please!

If they had a TA available as they said there was why wouldn't they have given them that, after all it is the fastest cat around Seca and Pobst loved it.

Quick Reply: MT Best Drivers Cart 2013. No C7 Erghh