Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Supercharged Viper?! Hurry up Chevy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 03:05 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

So here's my $0.02.

I highly doubt this is going to happen for two reasons.
1.) Why would we have the engines delivered to us? Who would they be coming from? You would think that, O I dunno, US as the OEM would be making the engines.
2.) The latest Viper news mentions powertrain carryover until 2020.

So the ONLY way this would be true is if this is a MOPAR aftermarket thing that won't void your warranty. Just my thoughts.

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06

Viper = POS

Now move this Thread to the "other car" forum where it belongs.
Doesn't deserve to be in this elite Z06 forum.
Lol. If this were the case the supercharged Viper would be better than the Z06 in every way. Stop being a fanboy and appreciate cars for what they are. You can say you prefer the Corvette to the Viper, but saying it's a POS is just childish
Old 08-20-2014, 05:09 PM
forensicsteve
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can say you prefer the Corvette to the Viper, but saying it's a POS is just childish
Agreed...but no offense taken. It's the same on viper forums. There are those (hopefully the majority) that appreciate many high performance cars but have a definite preference for one. There are some who claim it's a corvette or a viper until they die. That type tend to take cheap shots and ridicule other cars and posters.

When you start with 512 cubes, just a handful of boost would generate huge numbers. Silly really...all it would mean to me would be a longer walk out the woods. At my skill level 640 is way overkill. Still I hope it happens and if there's a retro flavor, I will likely do it...don't know why but I would....moderate midlife something.....

I commute most days in the Gen 5. It's way easier to drive than the gen 3 or 2 that I had and it has the "nanny controls". It's more comfortable, AC turns my fingers blue. Even the exhaust tone is improved. I do agree that it SUCKS........... gasoline. Wish I could turn off 6 cylinders. 4 would be enough for 95% of my driving. I love driving fast cars, just don't drive them fast.

Last edited by forensicsteve; 08-20-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:56 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabbers
So here's my $0.02.

1.) Why would we have the engines delivered to us? Who would they be coming from? You would think that, O I dunno, US as the OEM would be making the engines.

So the ONLY way this would be true is if this is a MOPAR aftermarket thing that won't void your warranty. Just my thoughts.

Lol. If this were the case the supercharged Viper would be better than the Z06 in every way. Stop being a fanboy and appreciate cars for what they are. You can say you prefer the Corvette to the Viper, but saying it's a POS is just childish

Old 08-20-2014, 06:59 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
Agreed...but no offense taken. It's the same on viper forums. There are those (hopefully the majority) that appreciate many high performance cars but have a definite preference for one. There are some who claim it's a corvette or a viper until they die. That type tend to take cheap shots and ridicule other cars and posters.

When you start with 512 cubes, just a handful of boost would generate huge numbers. Silly really...all it would mean to me would be a longer walk out the woods. At my skill level 640 is way overkill. Still I hope it happens and if there's a retro flavor, I will likely do it...don't know why but I would....moderate midlife something.....

I commute most days in the Gen 5. It's way easier to drive than the gen 3 or 2 that I had and it has the "nanny controls". It's more comfortable, AC turns my fingers blue. Even the exhaust tone is improved. I do agree that it SUCKS........... gasoline. Wish I could turn off 6 cylinders. 4 would be enough for 95% of my driving. I love driving fast cars, just don't drive them fast.

Well said...I bet 99% of the drivers on here can't take either of the top performance cars out there today anywhere near their limit without pulling bark out of their teeth including myself....
Old 08-21-2014, 09:09 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by svtkeith

Well said...I bet 99% of the drivers on here can't take either of the top performance cars out there today anywhere near their limit without pulling bark out of their teeth including myself....
I split DD duty between my ZR1 and my 2000 Honda Accord Every time I drive the Z, it makes me smile (even more so when I drove the Accord the other day ). That being said, there isn't room for me to properly stretch the Z's legs for more than 2 seconds.

Originally Posted by forensicsteve

I was actually shopping Vipers from the same time period as my Z when I was looking. I love both cars, and I really want to own a Gen V Viper at some point. I don't know why they don't use Cylinder Deactivation on the Viper yet, but a lot of the things that go on around here befuddle me
Old 08-21-2014, 03:02 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

I split DD duty between my ZR1 and my 2000 Honda Accord Every time I drive the Z, it makes me smile (even more so when I drove the Accord the other day ). That being said, there isn't room for me to properly stretch the Z's legs for more than 2 seconds.

I was actually shopping Vipers from the same time period as my Z when I was looking. I love both cars, and I really want to own a Gen V Viper at some point. I don't know why they don't use Cylinder Deactivation on the Viper yet, but a lot of the things that go on around here befuddle me

Yeah I know what you mean I own a 2013 Honda Accord and like you say jump from one to the other and it's quite the change!!.....good luck with your ZR bud!!....
Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 PM
FLATOUTVIPER
Racer

You sound like a huge *****.

Originally Posted by jklein7
Hate to be negative but has anyone driven a Viper? They suck!! Drive like a truck with bad shocks, way too noisy, burn your leg on the damm side exhaust, very hard to see over hood. It's also Mopar which in my opinion is junk. I don't care if they put 1000 hp into this it's not worth it and it's not going to help it sell. The only saving grace is it's looks. Just my opinion
Old 08-23-2014, 06:38 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by FLATOUTVIPER
Old 08-25-2014, 02:16 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 08-31-2014, 09:54 AM
dads toy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jklein7
Whoa, love my cars loud outside not inside. Not put together well at all and interior noise is hellacious.

you are showing you never been in one. I have a viper and it drives on the highway just as quiet as any sissy would want. its a street legal race car, you want quiet, go drive a Honda.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:28 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

So here's my $0.02.

I feckin spit my water out on this 1!!!
Old 08-31-2014, 11:55 AM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I've always loved the looks of the Viper and this latest generation is the best looking IMO. It would be great to see a supercharged version come out of the factory.

Quick Reply: Supercharged Viper?! Hurry up Chevy!