Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Buying a Tahoe / Yukon?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:23 AM
weinerschizel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Buying a Tahoe / Yukon?

I'm looking to buy a used Tahoe / Yukon would be 2nd or 3rd gen. Basically 2000 or newer. I want one with a TON of miles around 200,000 or more as I plan to rebuild it.

Curious what should a person look out for. I'm not terribly familiar with this chassis. I'd like it in the end to have the Z71 plates and that so not sure if it requires buying the z71 trim package or I can swap that stuff out.

I'm going to rebuild for driving off road in the desert and road trips in mexico. Hope to tune up or swap out motor for something a little more efficient along the way.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:37 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I do not know of any inherent issues. I had a 2001 and have a 2010 both that I bought new, both 4x4.

The 2001 the only part I ever had to replace was a front wheel bearing I traded it in with about 110,000 miles, probably should have drove it into the ground but oh well. I preferred the A/C on the 2001 since you could angle the back vents to blow on the back of your head which is awesome in down south summer. Never had to replace the brakes on this one. Changed the trans fluid and filter at about 40K since it was starting to shift funny, that cleared it up. Changed the fluid again about 80k miles.

Both of these in stock form have been onto high elevation jeep trails in New Mexico and Colorado with people at times surprised they made it where they did. No they can't crawl over rocks like a jeep but they are shorter wheel base than most trucks.

My 2010 (Z71) is now at 169,000 miles and no issues. I changed the back brake pads at about 130,000 miles but the front are still original. Shocks had to be replaced at about 150k. I change the transmission fluid at least once a year.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:36 PM
E.O.D.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The early 2000 through 2006 Chevy trucks used a milder grade steel on their brake lines. They are prone to rusting out. Had one blow on my 2004 Silverado a couple years ago. Just thankful I was sitting at a stoplight when it did.

Other than that, i had no issues.and loved the truck.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:40 PM
Jackie Chan
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

I have an 04 Tahoe z71 4x4 w 140k miles on it. Rides like hell but it's a great truck. I'm actually kind of looking for an 06 avalanche z71 4x4 to replace it... kind of.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:38 AM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a 2003-2006. GM made a lot of changes starting in 2003. Power jumped from 285 to 295, the center console was redesigned and looks way better than the 2000-2002. They updated the window switches to the newer style push pulls. The steering wheel was updated and included radio controls (depending on trim level). The Radio was updated to a double DIN instead of the 1.5 DIN which makes updating to a NAV screen much easier. During this time they updated the carpet to a more modern style that IMO is easier to clean and looks better. In 2005 they switched from a fan clutch to a dual electric fan setup and updated the charging system to 160 amp if I remember right.

I'm sure there were other changes to but these are the few I can remember. I have a 2004 GMC Yukon XL and it's been a great truck. The main issues are wheel bearings, climate control actuator motors and window motors. All are a lot easier to fix than you might think and there are YouTube videos that will walk you through fixing these and other issues.

IMO get the Suburban or Yukon XL. For some reason in my area, the Suburbans are cheaper and IMO they ride better and they have usable space behind the third row.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:17 PM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Before I bought my Raptor I had an 04 Z71 from new. I LOVED that rig....and want to own it again actually. Only put 48K on it when I sold it. I did have to replace the steering box/pump as the orbital valves go from time to time but that was honestly the only thing I HAD to do to it. I put keys and spacers on it with 33's and it was perfect for me.

When looking at them you really need to keep an eye out for rust and paint delamination on the leading edge of the hood as well as the back gate by the window button. The bumpers are known to rust out as well.

- Travis

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a Tahoe / Yukon?

Quick Reply: Buying a Tahoe / Yukon?