Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

05' CTS-V rear suspension rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 11:35 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

Thanks Tom.

The trans does not shift all that great, it isn't terrible but not great.

It has some sort of aftermarket shifter put in by the previous owner but i'm not sure which one it is. I did put in the revshift shifter bushings, revshift 95A motor moints and revshift 80A trans mount, which did help the shifter a bit. Those bushing made it ok rather than terrible.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:00 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Copy that. Ours was terrible new, and the shifter had so much slop in it, you could deflect it to the point you'd hit the center stack trying to get it in reverse. I did the shifter bushings, made my own mount (rigid) then installed the Pissnuoff shifter and that tightened it up...but it just plain don't want to shift. Syncros reject fast shifts and slow, slow ones. I wondered if it was just this trans or what. Thanks for posting. Killer thread!
Old 09-27-2018, 10:16 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Hmm ya unfortunatley that sounds like it might be the trans then. My shifter isn't great (a bit sloppy) but I don't have trouble putting it in gear and definietly never any trouble with slow shifts. I did have the trans rebuilt a when I bought the car because it was grinding going into reverse and on 2-1 downshifts. Since the rebuild its been fine.

The only trans (not shifter) issue I notice is shifting into third WOT at over 6000rpm it sometimes blocks me out (maybe 1/3 of the time) but I hear that is a common T-56 issue due to the design of the 3rd gear syncros not liking fast over 6000rpm shifts.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:06 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Uggg why do I check out your work!?!?? It makes me feel like I'm doing such an injustice to my vehicles!!! It makes me really want to pull my vette suspension out again and do it better! Hope all is well!
Old 09-30-2018, 07:00 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Thanks Mike, I did my best. You did a great job on your car also.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:13 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks, could be better but all I can do is give it 100%!
Old 08-20-2019, 01:02 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Thought I'd give a small update since it been a year.

Unfortunatley the Gen 1 V diff brace was not enough to save the diff from my cammed LS3... Ended up having a bearing failure in the diff in april of this year that destroyed the internals.

I decided not to mess around and ordered up a full creative steel ford 8.8 rear end kit, including 1000hp complete axels.

The car was down for 7 weeks as the 8.8 diff was back ordered so I drove my corvette during that time.

Sorry I only took this one picture as I was annoyed with the CTS-V at the time.

The V also broke it's revshift motor mounts shortly after the new differential was put in so those were replaced with some creative steel stage 2 motor mounts.
Since then the car has been a joy to drive and works wonderfully... and of course I can now spin the tires all I want without fear of a rear end failure.

I just sent the car into the paint shop today to get some ovedue paint corrections done. Hoping it will look as good as it drives when I get it back!

Last edited by DMITTZ; 08-20-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:25 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I had an 05 CTS V brand new and went thru two rear ends in 15k. I didnt let it wheel hop and it is a very fragile part. The rear end is the weakest link so it will eventually fail. I loved the car when it was not in the shop though but Cadillac can kiss my butt now. Unfortunately GM wouldn't buy it back as 2nd one broke after 12 months.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:53 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Yep the rear end and all the rubber bushings are the weak link in these cars. All of which I've replaced now.

I like the 8.8 rear end its nice to be able to spin the tires, have no wheel hop and not have to worry about a diff failure! I can now drive the car the way it should be driven.

Cadillac should have put a better rear end in them to start with, shame on them. But what's done is done.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 08-23-2019 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:57 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Got the CTS-V back from the paint shop, I got a ton of paint correction done. Since its my daily driver the paint was getting pretty tired looking in areas. It looks sooo much better now.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:11 AM
Bundy-Gullwing
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, just bought an 05 CTS-V with 75 000 km's on it and I am in decision mode right now trying to determine the best route to take regarding the diff. Seems to be working fine right now but lord knows it could go at any time.
I was considering going with the GEN1V brace due to the much lower cost vs the CS 8.8 but looks like it really did not help in your case. Are you still happy with the CS 8.8?
Old 05-07-2020, 01:17 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bundy-Gullwing
Hi, just bought an 05 CTS-V with 75 000 km's on it and I am in decision mode right now trying to determine the best route to take regarding the diff. Seems to be working fine right now but lord knows it could go at any time.
I was considering going with the GEN1V brace due to the much lower cost vs the CS 8.8 but looks like it really did not help in your case. Are you still happy with the CS 8.8?
The Creative steel 8.8 is excellent, and I am happy with it. My only complaint was the delay im getting it, but aside from that its great. I can spin the tires without concern of destroying the rear end now.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 05-07-2020 at 01:18 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:24 AM
Bundy-Gullwing
3rd Gear

Thanks for getting back to me.

Well, seems like the CS 8.8 may be my only choice now. I contacted Gen1V and he says he is closed and out of stock of the welded brace until next year! He says he has relocated and will not have his fabrication shop open until then.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:46 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Thanks for getting back to me.

Well, seems like the CS 8.8 may be my only choice now. I contacted Gen1V and he says he is closed and out of stock of the welded brace until next year! He says he has relocated and will not have his fabrication shop open until then.
Yes, Gen 1 V contacted me and bought back the brace I had sometime ago after I swapped in the CS 8.8 because he was out of stock.

I've had The 8.8 for a year now and its great, but be warned, it might take sometime to get. Mine took 7 weeks because there was a delay getting the axels from driveshaft shop.
Creative steel was good to deal with and keep me updated the whole time until delivery and later gave me some motor mounts for free to make up for the wait on the 8.8, they are good people.

Best of luck with the 8.8 swap its pricey, but it works.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:43 PM
Bundy-Gullwing
3rd Gear

I did not notice during your rebuild that you replaced the drive shaft. Are you still running the stock drive shaft?
Old 05-07-2020, 02:59 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

I did not notice during your rebuild that you replaced the drive shaft. Are you still running the stock drive shaft?
I didn't replace the drive shaft, yes, still running the stock driveshaft with 300K on it. Coupled to the CS 8.8 with thier driveshaft coupler. The delay with driveshaft shop (when I did the swap) was to get the axles.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 05-07-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:16 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DMITTZ

I am really thinking about headers for this car as I think the stock exhaust manifolds are holding it back quite a bit, but with it being just a D.D I'm not sure if I really need anymore power...and headers aren't exactly cheap.

More updates to come...
The Hotcam really needs headers...will make a HUGE difference. I installed Kooks on my then stock 05 V. They worked great.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:49 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Closer_2001
The Hotcam really needs headers...will make a HUGE difference. I installed Kooks on my then stock 05 V. They worked great.
Good to hear, I think the Kooks look like they are a real nice header. For sure I imagine headers would help my hotcam LS3 lots in the HP department, one day I may get some headers, although I still kind of find traction is more the limiting factor as I spin in the first 3 gears, but nothing wrong with a little more power.

To be honest even the hot cam is a compromise, I know much better cams exist (power wise), but since this car sees lots of miles, the low lift on it is good peace of mind.

Getting some new rear tires for the V tomorrow, they seem to wear out fast for some reason

Last edited by DMITTZ; 05-11-2020 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply: 05' CTS-V rear suspension rebuild.