Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Car Storage question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 11:32 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

Default Car Storage question

My wife and I are trying to figure out our retirement strategy, we know we need to downsize our home and in that process we plan to live in a small apartment for at least the next year. We plan to hang on to the Corvette, but the next problem is trying to find suitable storage without breaking the bank and still have some access to the car. Does anyone have any ideas beyond going to a public storage facility?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-20-2016, 06:42 AM
HDLARRY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Sometimes you can find something on Craigslist fairly reasonable. Just be careful of the neighborhood if it's a residential area. You should also confirm your insurance will cover the car while in storage somewhere other than your home. My insurance required a security system in the storage unit which it already had.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:11 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Good tip Larry, thank you.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:46 PM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Apartment complexes nearby, sometimes they rent to non-residents. You may have to dangle more than their std $ rate in front of them. As a starting point the std rates can be less than market though for tenants sake.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:29 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,363 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by nolimits
Apartment complexes nearby, sometimes they rent to non-residents. You may have to dangle more than their std $ rate in front of them. As a starting point the std rates can be less than market though for tenants sake.
Condo complexes, too. Also, gated 55 communities. Talk with the HOA about a couple (or widow/widower) that no longer drive. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:36 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Look for a Complex with Garages, when I moved the family up here we rented in Klahanie and rented 3 garages/ (6 cars, 3 in garages, 3 parked in front of garages) Many laces also have Carports, not as secure but I covered up my Z06 when I spent my first couple months up here in South Seattle....
Old 01-22-2016, 01:11 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Default I may havae a space

Mike, how close will you be to me, and how soon would you need it. I may have a space in my enclosed carport, which is more like an unheated garage. Keith
Old 01-22-2016, 11:54 PM
00Midnight
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Look for someone who collects cars. A lot of times they have space in their ware house. Talk to Mark at memory Lane Motors in Renton? there is a guy in Tacoma who bought an old car dealership and rent storage to collector cars. I have been there and he has a class A++ facility.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:48 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all of the replies! Some good ideas here. We want to stay in the Mill Creek area as that is closest to where our kids are going to be (maybe). Lots of unknowns at this point so decision making is very difficult.

We plan to live in Bellevue while we wait for a house we both agree upon to come onto the market.

Kieth, sent you a PM.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Car Storage question

Quick Reply: Car Storage question