Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

front plate enforcement in wa

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 12:43 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts
Default front plate enforcement in wa

Curious about enforcement of the front plate in Washington. Have members here experienced it one way or another?
Old 02-18-2017, 12:50 PM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
Default Front Plate

Over here on the east side of the Great Pacific Northwest they don't seem to care. Our club has several LEO's observe us at Glass On Grass and never said a thing. I have been stopped several times ( No Tickets ) and it never came up.
The following users liked this post:
mschuyler (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 02:01 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

Here's several threads where this has been discussed previously in this forum:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nt-plates.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-plate-wa.html

Short answer - it depends on where you live and park. I work in Tacoma and their parking enforcement will get you about every time for no front plate; even if you have it on your dash. When I first started working in Tacoma and parking on the street, I got a ticket my first time parking. Before I could get a plate holder for the front, I'd tape it to my nose using blue painter's tape when I parked (and take it back off before driving).

Many have never had an issue driving/parking in WA while others have been ticketed so it's a bit like playing the lottery. Small chance of getting ticketed (unless your in an area where they do strictly enforce it) but you're taking a calculated risk.

Aaron

Last edited by AaronZ51; 02-19-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:49 PM
MACE_Hardware
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

5000 miles with my C7 mostly in Snohomish County. No on-street parking. No issues with no front plate.

Daughter drives a fairly beat up Toyota Tacoma in Spokane area and she go pulled over twice in two months.

Not sure if the difference is geography or appearance of affluence.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:01 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MACE_Hardware
5000 miles with my C7 mostly in Snohomish County. No on-street parking. No issues with no front plate.

Daughter drives a fairly beat up Toyota Tacoma in Spokane area and she go pulled over twice in two months.

Not sure if the difference is geography or appearance of affluence.
As Bertrand Russell once said, "Sin is geographical." The "sin" of not having a plate is strongly enforced in some parts of the state and ignored in other parts.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:04 PM
MACE_Hardware
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by AaronZ51
Search is your friend - here's several threads where this has been discussed previously in this forum:

Aaron
Now Aaron, you are certainly aware Rule Six states that it is ok to revisit a topic - after three years have transpired.

I do wonder if there could be any influence on enforcement from the proliferation of cameras - particularly on the King's Highway on I-405. They want two chances to ID you.
mschuyler (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 08:30 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Been driving my BMW X5 for 11 years now with no Front Plate. No issues so far, except the Border Patrol guy when I came back from Whistler asked - what happened to your front plate? I said it fell off and have not had a chance to get a new bracket. he smiled back and said Welcome Home.

Been driving my 2013 and my 2012 Grandpasports for 3 years and no front plate on either of them - no issues.
mschuyler (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 09:11 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by AaronZ51
Short answer - it depends on where you live and park. I work in Tacoma and their parking enforcement will get you about every time for no front plate;

Aaron
Must be that bright yellow Vette of yours that catches their eye.

I've driven through Tacoma any number of times without being stopped. Maybe if I had to park downtown on a daily basis, they'd be ticketing me as well for no front plate too.

Do you think that they'd bother to make a traffic stop as you're driving along or are they more likely to ticket you if you are parked on the streets of Tacoma?
Old 02-18-2017, 10:14 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

I never have front plates on mine or the Wife's car....but I have only once visited a friend in Tacoma and know better then to hang there.....
Old 02-19-2017, 12:12 AM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Just get a decal made and stick it somewhere in front. At a glance, it'll look like you bent your plate to fasten it.

As long as you pick a plate with a background color that matches your car, it won't look bad. It won't interfere with air intake either. You really have to pay attention to figure out it's a decal!

I called Olympia to ask if they are legal. I was told law doesn't say they are illegal, and doesn't say they are legal. IF you get pulled over for other reasons, then it'll be at the discretion of the officer. My trick is, not to give them a reason to pull me over on public roads!

Last edited by Kamran; 02-20-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:06 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MACE_Hardware
Now Aaron, you are certainly aware Rule Six states that it is ok to revisit a topic - after three years have transpired.

I do wonder if there could be any influence on enforcement from the proliferation of cameras - particularly on the King's Highway on I-405. They want two chances to ID you.
Good point - I hadn't realized the threads on this topic were that old... Seemed like it was last year, not three years ago!
Old 02-20-2017, 08:47 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Received 739 Likes on 334 Posts

No plate, no problem Police don't even look at me when I'm out in my Vette, even when it was lime green haha! I have a pretty outrageous car, so I'm a little suprised honestly. They all think I'm some pensioner behind the wheel or something; never give me the time of day. I live in Marysville WA.

I was cruising between packs on the freeway on Sat, and the speed I was going was maybe just an eency, weency, wee bit uhhh...obscene, lol cop on the side of the road had to have seen me for at least a half mile. Looking out his window, with the gun on no one but me, as I was smack dab in between packs; didn't even lift his head from the gun as I shot past him, catless longtubes belching out bald eagles as I screamed by him. No f$%&s given.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:00 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

About 25 years in the PNW and I have never run a front plate on any of my cars. Never been ticketed. My wife has been ticketed once in the past 19 years. 90% of driving in that time has been on the Eastside.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Thanks for asking as I anticipate moving from Oregon to Washington in a couple of months. I display both plates on my 'Vette but have the front one under a slightly tinted cover.....makes it go with my Pewter paint better.
Covered plates are illegal in Oregon but the law hasn't bothered me.

Did find this....seems it might be okay in WA.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.16A.200

But it does say front and rear.

Last edited by Oh 2 Fun; 03-11-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:26 AM
KCSODogboy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Technically, any covering over the license plate is illegal in Washington, as it affects the "reflectivity" of the paint. Smoked or tinted covers are especially verboten. That said, it is up to the individual officer to decide whether to stop or ticket the "violator". WSP tends to be more stringent, as their primary focus is traffic enforcement, but it can be a pet peeve of a city/county cop and draw their attention and a ticket. The same goes for no front plate. The front plate "sticker" is also a no go. All that being said, I don't run a front plate on my GS, spoils the look!
Old 03-13-2017, 12:29 PM
HeyDanNiceShot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Never had one on the front of my C7 Z06, my GTR, my C63, or my C6 Z06. Hint: Get Law Enforcement Memorial plates when you register here.

Get notified of new replies

To front plate enforcement in wa

Quick Reply: front plate enforcement in wa