Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Battery Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 10:58 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

I've changed so many batteries in my life, it amazing Phil that you have not......
Old 03-14-2017, 11:33 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Always being a do it yourselfer, I had to replace the battery in my 85 Coupe one time and had a most difficult time prying the battery up out of the hole it seemed to be sitting in nearly destroying it. Having related the story to the guy selling me the new one, he looked it up and said I only had to remove a couple screws holding the exterior body panel on behind the front wheel. The battery slipped right in. I didn't have to use my crow bar and three pound hammer after all.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:53 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mufflerbearing
Always being a do it yourselfer, I had to replace the battery in my 85 Coupe one time and had a most difficult time prying the battery up out of the hole it seemed to be sitting in nearly destroying it. Having related the story to the guy selling me the new one, he looked it up and said I only had to remove a couple screws holding the exterior body panel on behind the front wheel. The battery slipped right in. I didn't have to use my crow bar and three pound hammer after all.
You've described the process to remove the battery on a C6 Z06 Prying it out of the hole, except there is no body panel to remove to improve access.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:14 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by NW94Z
You've described the process to remove the battery on a C6 Z06 Prying it out of the hole, except there is no body panel to remove to improve access.
I vote we change Mufflerbearing's forum handle to "Hacksaw".

Be nice, Joe. He's my age. Sometimes the war stories and memories are too old to recall in vivid detail, or should I say they often ARE remembered in vivid - if not actual - detail?

You know, like the adage, "The older I get, the faster I was" You'll find out if you don't soon change your lifestyle.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:17 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Received 739 Likes on 334 Posts

I'm currently using a 7lb Harley Davidson motorcycle battery It will crank, and crank, and crank a 2000cc Harley all day. I do take it out, if the car is parked for 3 or more days. It sits on a trickle charger in the garage. It cranks over my LS1 for almost a full minute before it starts boiling

Last edited by ErikwithAK01; 03-15-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:47 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ErikwithAK01
I'm currently using a 7lb Harley Davidson motorcycle battery It will crank, and crank, and crank a 2000cc Harley all day. I do take it out, if the car is parked for 3 or more days. It sits on a trickle charger in the garage. It cranks over my LS1 for almost a full minute before it starts boiling
Harley? battery? You mean they don't have kick starters anymore?
Old 03-27-2017, 12:04 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Hey Phil, you know we don't like it (hate) when people start a project, ask for help, and then don't post the results or finish.

Didn't see one here, did I miss it?

Can't believe you haven't seen one of these if you been working on boats. All you have to do is figure out what end goes on the + and what end goes on the - of the battery. Operates like one of those Chinese finger grabber thing'es

Can save the back, and the shirt sleeves from disappearing when the acid catches up with them Then of course you have to put the battery in so the + & - will attach to the right connectors.

You also have to keep the battery from hanging up on the install so one end doesn't have and unanticipated release before seated. I think it's called premature release. Not as in some other things you might have experienced in your Youth.

Battery Strap

Last edited by NOWUCME; 03-27-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:08 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NOWUCME
Hey Phil, you know we don't like it (hate) when people start a project, ask for help, and then don't post the results or finish.

Can't believe you haven't seen one of these if you been working on boats. All you have to do is figure out what end goes on the + and what end goes on the - of the battery. Operates like one of those Chinese finger grabber thing'es

Can save the back, and the shirt sleeves from disappearing when the acid catches up with them Then of course you have to put the battery in so the + & - will attach to the right connectors.

You also have to keep the battery from hanging up on the install so one end doesn't have and unanticipated release before seated. I think it's called premature release. Not as in some other things you might have experienced in your Youth.

Battery Strap
Guilty as charged...

Frankly I've been hesitant to finish the story, possibly out of some embarrassment (he admits as he slaps his hand against his forehead while yelling, "Doh!").

I managed to get the car started and headed directly to the local Les Schwab after confirming they had the right battery in stock. When I arrived, i left the car running and ran inside to see how long it was going to take. They said 2 hours as they were pretty busy so I ran back out to shut off he car, rolling the window down to make sure I could get back in if the battery went dead.

It did, as I discovered when it started to rain, and dashed outside to close the window. Owing to the familiarity I've gained in over 10 years of ownership, I reached inside and pulled the lever next to the seat and immediately set off the alarm. Of course I'd given them my key fob as I gave them the order for the new battery so had to chase the right person down to retrieve that. Got the alarm to shut off and returned the fob, neglecting to roll the window back up

A while later I was asked to bring my car down to the last stall. This time I remembered to ask for the key fob and went outside, but the door would not open (again) So I pulled the lever and managed to set off the alarm again. Having the fob in hand, I turned the alarm off after fumbling with every button on the fob at last twice and with force. Got in and to start the engine. Nada, nothing but a few click sounds.

So out they roll the "jump cart" attached the clamps to the battery. I push the starter button and, nothing... except for some more clicking noises. I continued to push the starter a few times and it finally connected and the engine started. Man, that battery - ex battery - must really be bereft of any form of life whatsoever. Setting off the alarm twice already must have been the final gasp. But I was able to get the car down to he designated stall. My butt was wet from the rain on the sat, but I elected to tough it out in order to watch the technician so I could understand the mysteries of replacing the battery.

Turns out it was as simple as many of you told me it would be. The retaining "bracket" turned out to be a simple block secured by a screw. The cables simply "popped off" after removing the cable covers. The new battery went right in, the cables reattached, the covers snapped back into place and that was it. I didn't even have time to slap myself on the forehead.

I quickly paid the bill, thanked the tech, waved to all the customers in the waiting area who had been watching this one-man circus while eating free popcorn and drove straight to put the car back in the garage.

Fast forward to the next morning. The door wouldn't open. I assumed the new battery had gone dead overnight, probably owing to some drain that was the culprit in the first place. Fortunately I reached down through the open window, set off the alarm, and tried to start the engine. Nothing, NADA... Doh!!

Then I noticed the DIC flashing. "No Key Fob Detected Stupid!" (I added the "stupid" myself as that was what was flashing through my brain, but you were probably thinking that anyway as you read this)

I ran back in the house, grabbed the spare fob, shut off the alarm, climbed into the still damp drivers seat and started the engine....

Now, what is the probability, I ask you, of the battery in the car going dead at the same time as the battery in the key fob?

Oh, by the way I also managed to find in the owner's manual the proper procedure to open the doors when the battery is dead. So no need to tell me now what I was doing wrong (among other things).

Oh, I should also mention that removing the batteries from a hydroplane is a lot more simple, even though one has to remove the seat to gain access to them, and hydroplane seats tend to get wet too, even when it's not raining so the process, as I know now, was not completely unfamiliar to me.

How personally embarrassing, but you asked and I responded. Glad you didn't ask me for the time of day: I probably would have explained to you how to build a watch.

Go easy on me. I'm not a young guy anymore...

Last edited by last901; 03-27-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:47 PM
KCSODogboy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too funny! I have had similar bad days, seems like whatever I do, it just goes bass ackward, and the harder you try, the worse it gets!
Old 03-27-2017, 08:44 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by NOWUCME

Battery Strap
I own one of those too, have it since the 60's and it still works great....
Old 03-27-2017, 10:40 PM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by last901
Guilty as charged...

Now that story was worth the wait. I have only one question. Was it Scotch? What is your brand and where can I get some.

Don't forget the little charger $20-25 on Amazon delivered to your door. Won't stop the alarm from going off but will help with starting, if you have the fob...and remember you can put the fob in the glove box if needed.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:39 AM
00Midnight
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Phil:

Bought my vette 3 years ago and it has a Costco battery in it. Very happy but then again I have a float charger on it when not driving for a week or two. Note: I have float chargers in my boat for my dual batteries...causes the batteries to last 9-10 years instead of 3-4 for my fellow boaters on my dock (in Chelan, of course). Phil...Chelan comment was for your entertainment!

Quick Reply: Battery Advice