Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

2017 GS Winter tires for Washington

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 04:17 PM
Athena Whitman
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told I can't get them for the GS yet. I had great success with the continental extreme DWS with my C5. Drove all year, rain or snow. I would love to get the DWS for my C7 GS.

QUOTE=Kevin_k;1596582109]I use the Continental DW (Dry Wet) on my C5Z06. The idea was to have a tire that I could use for daily driving that would also be good in the rain at the track. The newer version is the DWS (Dry Wet Snow).

Theas might be exactly what you are looking for. Also there is another post in this forum from a guy asking the same question and a response from someone that is using the new DWS 06 tires you might want to check out. There is also a reference to a performance test video on tirerack

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums....php?t=4098854

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Contact+DWS+06[/QUOTE]
Old 02-13-2018, 10:15 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

I'm with you regarding the tires. I have a '16 Z06 w/Z07 package. Didn't even drive on the Cup tires - had them pulled off at the dealership and MPSS installed. That's what I'm currently driving year-round and I daily drive my car. The only time I won't drive it is when the temp drops below freezing and there's a chance of the roads getting icy. I've had the car 13 months now and have 14,300 miles. I love driving it too much to let it sit in the garage.

When it's cold (like 28 degrees this morning), I just drive gently. I can roll on about 1/3 throttle without breaking loose once the tires are warmed up (when it's in the 40s). The tires are good in the rain.

I still have my '08 C6 w/the Michelin A/S 3+ mounted on a spare set of rims. When it's too dicey for my Z06, I drive that with the all-season tires. I drove this car for several years (and 89,000 miles) with the PS2 ZP tires that came out on the ZR-1 through the winter and never had much of an issue until I got caught out in snow that stuck to the road - I live up a steep hill. I got about 1/2 way up when I went over a bridge and found myself sideways - saved it but had to park the car on the shoulder overnight. From then on, drove the all-seasons in the winter.

Once the A/S 3+ are available in Z06 & GS sizes, I'll buy a nice set of forged rims for my summer wheels and put the stock wheels with the all-season tires on the car for November through March/April time frame.

I'd called Michelin about their winter Alpin tires but they said do NOT drive them when the temp is above 45F, which happens a lot around our area of Washington. So those weren't an option.

Keep driving and save the wave!
The following users liked this post:
Athena Whitman (02-13-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 10:35 PM
Athena Whitman
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Went with the Continental Extreme contact

So I decided on the Continetal extreme contact sport. Rubbed em up on my way to get rid of the oil and found them to be a pleasant tire compared to the stock cups. Softer, quiter and seemed to grab decent. Since I'm using her for commuting 100 miles a day through now to November let' see how these handle the weather. Thank you very much for all your input on tires.
djnice (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 01:50 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

When you get a chance report how they feel in the wet and cold verses stock. Also, do they jump and buck when you turn sharp in the parking lot?

Take some pictures how they look on rims. Are they narrower or wider? What is your take on non-runflat? I would just pack a plug and air kit like my camaro has.

BTW, looking at your other posts looks like you had cup2's. Those would have been very bad in wet and cold.

Last edited by djnice; 03-08-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:02 PM
Ron_Attleboro_MA
Burning Brakes

Received 1,128 Likes on 530 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot AS/3 + ZP

Originally Posted by NashvilleGrandSport
They are not available yet. Tire Rack said they'd have them upon their release from Michelin sometimes in March or April if I recall.
I have a set of Michelin Pilot AS/3 + ZP ordered for my 2017 Grand Sport.
I just got an email from Luke at Tire-Rack. The tires are due for release April-6, 2018.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:08 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

I just upgraded my Z06 wheels to Forgeline with the MPSS tires - my stock Z06 wheels are going to get the Michelin A/S 3+ for my "winter" wheels. I've driven with the MPSS all last and this winter, except for when there's chances of snow or ice and they did fine - just take it easy on the throttle. The A/S 3+ are a bit better of a cooler weather rain tire.

Let us know how you like the Conti tires you went with! My only caveat is I'm sticking with runflat tires! I use a wheelchair and when I've had a flat previously and had to get a tow, I can't get into the tow truck so I'm stranded until I can get a taxi.
HeyDanNiceShot (03-20-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 11:26 PM
mikweb
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Athena, you selling your stock tires?
Old 03-24-2018, 06:30 PM
JDMilw
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Google “Ackerman Effect” to explain what you’re feeling in the front end at low speed turn.

Last edited by JDMilw; 03-24-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 GS Winter tires for Washington