Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:25 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Default diy primer

hi
i saw the $50 dyi paint post.
i don't want to sound like bubba, but-could you roll and brush primer on? i'd like to do everyting except the final color and clear coats because i don't have the skill or equipment (paint and safety) to spray. but, if the primer has to be sanded, could an adequate job be done without spraying? i'm months away from primer, but the previous post started me thinking-a dangerous situation!
Old 03-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

I would say that would be a bad idea. You will be sanding all that expensive primer for a long time to get a smooth surface.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:33 PM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jnb5101
hi
i saw the $50 dyi paint post.
i don't want to sound like bubba, but-could you roll and brush primer on? i'd like to do everyting except the final color and clear coats because i don't have the skill or equipment (paint and safety) to spray. but, if the primer has to be sanded, could an adequate job be done without spraying? i'm months away from primer, but the previous post started me thinking-a dangerous situation!
PPG does make a roll-on primer, but it is only recommended for spot-repairs.

I would recommend spraying on your primer. It doesn't take that much skill and you could get away with a relatively cheap compressor and gun for primer. Don't be scared about the safety. Just follow some of the safety advice already given in other threads in this forum.

Really, where the skill is necessary is in the sanding technique. Even if you leave the top coating to a pro and do an amateur job sanding the primer, the whole job will look like an amateur did it. Block sanding primer is an art and takes some practice.

Roger
Old 03-20-2007, 10:59 PM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by roger55
Really, where the skill is necessary is in the sanding technique. Even if you leave the top coating to a pro and do an amateur job sanding the primer, the whole job will look like an amateur did it. Block sanding primer is an art and takes some practice. Roger
I have to agree with Roger and Scott on this one. What makes sanding an art, is you need an eye and feel for panel straightness. They both take practice especially if you don't have an experienced person working along side you to show you the way.

If you can stand 10' from any car at a show or cruise-in and immediately find waves or body/paint defects, you have the eye. Most people can't see this stuff, but once you become good with bodywork, you'll see it all the time, whether you want to or not. It's a curse.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:41 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

thanks for the response.
i'll stick to what i know i can do, and leave the rest to others.
jeff

Get notified of new replies

To diy primer

Quick Reply: diy primer