Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Fillers over Epoxy Primer ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 12:01 AM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fillers over Epoxy Primer ???

Once I epoxy primer, what type activities are acceptable... ? only lacquer putty, or is that old school.... I heard that fillers can be used..... I appreciate the time.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:31 AM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kaiserbud
lacquer putty, or is that old school.
Just make sure all fiberglass repairs are completed before applying epoxy primer. Refer to your epoxy tech sheet for compatibilities of body fillers and topcoats and pay close attention to recoat times. Most epoxy's except for Transtar have a 7 day window time to work on the product before you need to recoat. Lacquer putty is still in use for production work, but it's not the best product choice for restorations because of shrinkage, so choose one of the newer 2 part putty's.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:21 PM
666victory
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once I epoxy primer, what type activities are acceptable... ? only lacquer putty, or is that old school.... I heard that fillers can be used..... I appreciate the time.
Stay away from lac's, most polyester fillers work great on top of epoxy, check the specs on the primer, i know alot of guys doing resto's on steel cars that epoxy the body after stripping and put filler directly to the epoxy, just scuff it with 220-240 grit first, great adhesion and corrosion protection, not that corvettes really need epoxy's, i usually go with urethane primers on (fiberglass)vettes

Last edited by 666victory; 02-15-2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: clarify which vette's
Old 02-15-2009, 08:54 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Thanks...

That is still hard to accept (because I am old school). I will move forward with that concept and use (after reading the tech sheet) my Evercoat filler over the Epoxy. But it will be for very small imperfections.

BTW - that Evercoat filler is nice - feels real light, sands well, smooth and no pit holes.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:37 AM
MoneyPit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old news now one month after last post, but I had no problem with Evercoat filler directly on epoxy sealer/primer.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:42 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,023 Likes on 839 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by MoneyPit
Old news now one month after last post, but I had no problem with Evercoat filler directly on epoxy sealer/primer.

Yet. Give it a few years and some sun before you think you are ok.
I only put catalized putty on ANY primer.

JMO...............................

Corvette Mike
Old 03-21-2009, 10:55 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

I spoke too soon on the Evercoat - I have alot of pinholes - but it could be my fault.. ??? What is ya'lls best way to address the pinholes after Epoxy

So - CVMike says the technology is still not there? What kind of 2 part filler are you using Mike ? I will check into your suggestion tomorrow

CV Mike - Nice Avatar - what is that?
Old 03-21-2009, 11:38 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,023 Likes on 839 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default vette

I spoke too soon on the Evercoat - I have alot of pinholes - but it could be my fault.. ??? What is ya'lls best way to address the pinholes after Epoxy

So - CVMike says the technology is still not there? What kind of 2 part filler are you using Mike ? I will check into your suggestion tomorrow

CV Mike - Nice Avatar - what is that?
JMO............I have all my bodywork done before I put primer on. I guide coat the wet sanding before priming.

Any materials, puttys, fillers I put on a car has to be catalized. JMO...

The pourpose of the epoxy primer is to lock down all the bodywork and provide a good base for top coats.

I always rough up area with 36 grit BEFORE applying fillers.

Its a pic of what a future corvette may look like.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:12 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Using a slightly different technique. Doing the body work directly on the substrate. Any edges that need building are done with fiberglass resin & mat. For stuff that's not at an edge we're using dynaglass. For small imperfections and truing seems we use dynatron "dyna-delite". Both dynaglass and de-lite are 2-part. Only after all this is done and sanded did we spray 2K urethane primer (PPG K36). The K36 is then blocked 220 wet. Currently the blocking is about 50% done and I'm thrilled with how it's coming out.

Get notified of new replies

To Fillers over Epoxy Primer ???

Quick Reply: Fillers over Epoxy Primer ???