Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Body repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:35 PM
ttusing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body repair

I have a 1965 vette and the body was glass beaded to remove old paint. A body shop told me the vendor also removed the gelcoat and it had to be put back on prior to painting. Can anyone tell me if I need to put on new gelcoat or if there is another product that can be used? Also, I used to work in an industrial fiberglass plant and know how to work with most fiberglass products except I never gelcoated an entire car body before and could use some pointers.

Thanks
Tarry
Old 09-10-2010, 12:45 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You had posted in the Help section, which is used for Help with the website (forum issues, forum account issues, website issues, etc.). You will have better responses if you post Corvette specific technical questions in the section pertaining to the issue.

I've moved your thread to the more appropriate section for better chances of finding your answer.

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

First, please fill out your profile. Secondly, gelcoat was never used on your car. It used a baked on primer. Can you use a gelcoat spray vs. epoxy sealer, the answer is yes and the debate goes on and on.

What kind of shape is the body in, has it seen numerous repairs?

Both Ecklers and Evercoat make spray on gelcoat, the Ecklers uses a wax that rises to the top and is a little bit of a pain to sand. Evercoat makes one that you top coat with a vinyl spray to cure and it washes off before you sand the gelcoat. You will need a good spray gun with a large tip like the Sata KLCP 2.5 tip gun. It works great for this and polyester primers.

Other guys prefer an epoxy primer to seal down the glass followed by a high build primer.

Post some pics of the car if you can.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:54 PM
ttusing

My cars body is in pretty good shape. Couple of minor repairs including flaired wheel wells.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
First, please fill out your profile. Secondly, gelcoat was never used on your car. It used a baked on primer. Can you use a gelcoat spray vs. epoxy sealer, the answer is yes and the debate goes on and on.

What kind of shape is the body in, has it seen numerous repairs?

Both Ecklers and Evercoat make spray on gelcoat, the Ecklers uses a wax that rises to the top and is a little bit of a pain to sand. Evercoat makes one that you top coat with a vinyl spray to cure and it washes off before you sand the gelcoat. You will need a good spray gun with a large tip like the Sata KLCP 2.5 tip gun. It works great for this and polyester primers.

Other guys prefer an epoxy primer to seal down the glass followed by a high build primer.

Post some pics of the car if you can.
100% with the "quoted" text.

I professionally prefer to use gelcoat...for whatever that is worth to you. But...whatever direction you choose to go...in regards to using a gelcoat or not. It would be wise for you to make sure that all of your seams and other isses are reworked/repaired BEFORE you apply any product to your fiberglass. The mid-year Corvettes have some "built-in" problems that can show up...and NOT be obvious to the untrained eye. I would be glad to pass along some of these POTENTIAL problems if you care to know. PM me, and we can start a dialogue on these issues.

"DUB"
Old 09-19-2010, 07:44 PM
ttusing

I posted 3 pictures but it said they had to be approved. One was when I still had paint. I am interested in finding out potential problem points with the body. I can only afford to paint it once.
Thanks
Tarry

Get notified of new replies

To Body repair

Quick Reply: Body repair