Prep work for c4

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 04:11 PM
Kdeman1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Prep work for c4

Hello,
First I would like to thank you guys, browsing this site is one of the only reasons my corvette runs like it does!!!. But now with my Engine finally reliable i want to have my corvette painted. So i was thinking about sanding the car down myself to save some money and then taking it into a paint shop and having them actually paint the car. I know the car is Fiberglass so I was hoping someone could walk me through the process and tell me of any pit falls or anything I really need to watch out for.

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

WOW...the process can either be very involved...or easy.

I can advise that you do not do this at the end of your driveway. Preferably inside a garage. And when yous start...it is wise NOT to drive it...depending on what you are doing to it at that time.

If you are not going to be the one who paints it. Your prep has to be perfect. UNLESS you plan on still paying the paint shop to correct issues that they know need to be fixed that you might have not considered being a problem.

Do you have any tools???

The amount of chips, cracks and delaminaing clear will add to your prep.

Numerous pitfalls and 'things' to watch out for.

I can give you praise asking for advice BEFORE you did anything to the body and paint.

Can YOU do this???...YES you can. Can it be a challenge...YES IT CAN. Can it make you regret beginning the process at one time or another...YES IT CAN. BUT....there is no better feeling that you did it yourself...but do not be fooled....it can TEST your PATIENCE, ATTENTION TO DETAIL, DEDICATION and FOCUS.

Just so you know....I do not give advice on how to do paint and body work that is sub-standard. So...if you are looking for a fast, simple paint job....I am NOT going to help you out. So much depends on what the paint 'tells you' it needs. And seeing how I can not see it.....it is hard for me to tell you how to fix 'this and that'.

DUB
Old 06-29-2015, 05:46 PM
Kdeman1
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
WOW...the process can either be very involved...or easy.

I can advise that you do not do this at the end of your driveway. Preferably inside a garage. And when yous start...it is wise NOT to drive it...depending on what you are doing to it at that time.

If you are not going to be the one who paints it. Your prep has to be perfect. UNLESS you plan on still paying the paint shop to correct issues that they know need to be fixed that you might have not considered being a problem.

Do you have any tools???

The amount of chips, cracks and delaminaing clear will add to your prep.

Numerous pitfalls and 'things' to watch out for.

I can give you praise asking for advice BEFORE you did anything to the body and paint.

Can YOU do this???...YES you can. Can it be a challenge...YES IT CAN. Can it make you regret beginning the process at one time or another...YES IT CAN. BUT....there is no better feeling that you did it yourself...but do not be fooled....it can TEST your PATIENCE, ATTENTION TO DETAIL, DEDICATION and FOCUS.

Just so you know....I do not give advice on how to do paint and body work that is sub-standard. So...if you are looking for a fast, simple paint job....I am NOT going to help you out. So much depends on what the paint 'tells you' it needs. And seeing how I can not see it.....it is hard for me to tell you how to fix 'this and that'.

DUB
I have the tools and I have the space, would it be ill-advised to not remove the primer and repair the areas that need it by building up layers of primer and then sanding it smooth and flat?
Old 06-29-2015, 05:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kdeman1
would it be ill-advised to not remove the primer and repair the areas that need it by building up layers of primer and then sanding it smooth and flat?
I can not answer this question. It all depends on the area being repaired. Very PRECISE explanations...or even better GREAT PHOTOS of any issue you have is BEST......SO I (we) can see what you are seeing.

There are SO MANY possible pitfalls that you can come across...or may not come across ONE at all....so it depends.

Applying NUMEROUS coats of primer to repair an area INSTEAD of filling it in and shaping it is NOT WISE.....extremely excessive primer build is NOT good. Some primers can go fairly thick...while other can not. Like I wrote...it depends.

What year is it???? A big difference between a 1984 and 1996...and is it a coupe or convertible???

DUB
Old 06-29-2015, 06:29 PM
Kdeman1
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
I can not answer this question. It all depends on the area being repaired. Very PRECISE explanations...or even better GREAT PHOTOS of any issue you have is BEST......SO I (we) can see what you are seeing.

There are SO MANY possible pitfalls that you can come across...or may not come across ONE at all....so it depends.

Applying NUMEROUS coats of primer to repair an area INSTEAD of filling it in and shaping it is NOT WISE.....extremely excessive primer build is NOT good. Some primers can go fairly thick...while other can not. Like I wrote...it depends.

What year is it???? A big difference between a 1984 and 1996...and is it a coupe or convertible???

DUB
1987, I will post some pictures of the corvette when I can. The fiberglass isn't damaged, but there are two spots that are all the way down to the fiber glass.. now would I be able to sand down to the old primer or would I need to completely need to redo that also, I want to get the car ready for fresh paint, I am also planning on having the shop go over all the work I do.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

Removing the paint down to the factory primer is possible...depending on how many paint jobs are on it and the condition of the paint itself. in some cases...the factory paint is in good condition and it can be prepped and paint over it without it being fully removed.....once again....depending on condition.

DUB
Old 06-29-2015, 07:00 PM
Kdeman1
Racer

Thanks I'll post some pictures when I return to Michigan.

Get notified of new replies

To Prep work for c4

Quick Reply: Prep work for c4