Prep after electrolysis

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:18 PM
Jbabek
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Prep after electrolysis

A little guidance please...

I made a electrolysis tank and de-rusted the entire front end and rear end of my 60 Corvette. From the tank, i wiped them in phosphoric acid to prevent flash rusting. The parts look great and are rust free. They do have some stains on the surface, but there is no rust.

Can I spray a good epoxy primer over this surface, or should it be blasted? Has anyone done this?
Old 10-14-2015, 06:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Wise move would be to call the manufacturer of the epoxy primer you plan on using....due to you did not mention it in your post. Talk to their tech department and see what they recommend/suggest.

the reason is when I use phosphoric acid to clean parts...I get them clean...wash off with water and dry very well and immediately prime.

On some parts I will media blast them because even though I removed the rust....I still do not like the way the metal looks.

Sometimes I just put the parts in the bast cabinet and not even waste the time on trying to remove the rust due to my media will make short work of it.

So...it all depends.

DUB
Old 10-14-2015, 07:03 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

you will need to reapply the acid and rinse while it is still wet . like dub said dry it and epoxy it . a true epoxy will loose adhesion if applied over acid .

Get notified of new replies

To Prep after electrolysis

Quick Reply: Prep after electrolysis