Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Help me make my hood fit.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 05:05 PM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Help me make my hood fit.

I know just about enough of auto body repair to get me in trouble, but I know even less about fiberglass repair.

I'm trying to fit a small block hood back on my 66 Vette. Has a stinger hood on it no.

I hope from the pictures you can see the lousy gap on the left front of the hood. When using a straight edge, some of the front edge of the hood has been ground away as well as the matching edge on the headlight surround. Just a co incidence both mating areas are 1/16 shy.

I have no plan to make any repair to the body only the hood. What do I use to build up the edge of the hood short of resin and mat? Is there a filler that might be strong enough?
Attached Images    
Old 02-12-2016, 05:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Made by EVERCOAT....Vette Panel Adhesive.

And as for the gouge sanding mark...that is NOTHING compared to how you will need to prep this hood so the VPA will adhere.

QUESTION:

Are all the other gaps surroundings the hood very good...and I also am referring to the rear gap by the cowl and wiper grilles????

DUB
Old 02-12-2016, 06:00 PM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts

Rear gap perfect, right gap perfect, left gap goes away last 12 inches, [was going to block that section of the hood to get the gap back. I have the hood as far forward as I can get it without the front edge of the hood 'catching' on the headlight panel. It has been fixed there before by someone who should not own sandpaper. But again, I don't want to get into the body of the car right now. Maybe next winter but not now. I'm going to take a shot at tinting the paint and spraying test panels to be able to panel paint the hood for now.

I hate stinger hood on small block cars..

Can you also expound on how 'fresh' the VPA must be? How to read the date code? Is there a place to buy it online that you can trust to have fresh stuff? Thanks again. Jim

Thanks for you help on this dub...can you give me a crash course on prepping the hood for VPA?

Last edited by karkrafter; 02-12-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You will need to call and talk to the tech dept of EVERCOAT and they can tell you how to read the code. I believe (which you can confirm from them) that they give a ONE YEAR 'shelf life' that they will guarantee.

I can not remember the front gap measurement that GM outlines in the assembly....but the number .140" is coming to mind....but I know there is a range.

Either way....it is repairable....and if you need a crash course...just PM me and I will give you my shop number and we can talk because I am not going to type it out.

AND...honestly....there HAS to be a paint and body supply store in your area that will more than likely sell EVERCOAT products and they can get you what you need...which in this case....I would get a quart ( Part number 100870).

I do not know who to tell you to buy it from online because I can go down the street and get what I need. NAPA sells it if you have those in your area. Or at least the one here in Charlotte does becasue ti is a major distribution warehouse and not a small store.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
karkrafter (02-12-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Help me make my hood fit.

Quick Reply: Help me make my hood fit.