Door Gap Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 05:12 PM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Door Gap Alignment

Hey guys,

I have a situation that I'm dealing with and was curious how one would go about adjusting the rear door gaps on a 71. See the example in the photo below. Although this example (not mine) has a pretty decent gap, what if the gap was very large at the top as well as had a large gap in general along the entire rear of the door? How would you go about adjusting it? Would you add additional shims at the very rear mounts and/or possibly take away shims from the mounts below the bottoms of the rear doors forward of the rear wheels?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2016, 06:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Just to be HONEST....it is POINTLESS to comment on a photo of something that is not yours.

IN the photo you posted...you can CLEARLY SEE the jack stand. AND WHERE this jack stand is placed is causing ALL the weight to the rear of it to hang on it...and THUS can cause the car to sag....thus opening up a door gap (ESPECIALLY IF the car is a convertible)....BUT...it STILL can happen to a coupe IF the structural integrity of the cowl/plenum areas is not STOUT....thus allowing the windshield frame and cowl to ALSO move towards the rear and opening up a door gap.

SO...I would like to comment but I need photos of your front door gap and I need them when you look straight at the center of the door gap at the fender....so you will need to get down so I can CLEARLY SEE the door gap from top to bottom in ONE photo. THEN...do the same for the rear. And NOT posting a photo at the angle of what you posted here.

Then you will want to comment on IF the door striker bolt has a loose ring on it.

Then verify that the door bushings are GOOD and you have no up and down play in the door.

DUB

Quick Reply: Door Gap Alignment