Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Anyone scuff and clear steel paneled cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 03:39 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Anyone scuff and clear steel paneled cars?

Recently picked up a 90 Dually

Original paint is old slightly dull but not a door ding in it
(not peeling)

Its just a cheap beater

Painting a beast that big aint gonna happen thought before I try to shine it up that probably wont last a few mos anyone scuffed one up and paying someone to shoot a coat or two of clear over it?

Just enough to give some shine to it, look better for a few yrs.

Not spending a bunch on it dont want it to look too nice just better.
Expensive paint jobs a waste on a driver at least my experience.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Responded to you PM.

Just keep this in mind....and it is SO IMPORTANT....because I deal with this often. Poorly prepped panels that is.

If you do what I wrote. Just make sure that you take the time and get it prepped...which also means clean of tar, oil, etc....because if you loose your 'MOJO' and want to throw in the towel and just slap some paint on it. Any place that you did not correctly prep for paint will cause the 'next guy' to have to go through heck to get it prepped so HE can warranty his work.

OR....you can wash it (if that) and shoot clear on it.

Not wanting it to look 'too nice just better' is so hard to accomplish....because in my world...PREP IS KING and if it is not prepped correctly...I won't spray it. So...maybe I am NOT the guy to ask how to do what you are looking for. Because I do get some people who want me to fix their Corvette and be a '20 footer'and where the body work does not need to be straight...and I look at them like they are crazy. If I am doing it...I am going to do it right....but that does not mean that everything I paint is sanded and buffed to a mirror shine....but the prep and procedures are top notch.

DUB
Old 06-06-2016, 11:15 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Got your pm thanks
I would definitely take the time to prep it right if someone agreed to do what I want

Know requests like this get sketchy reactions but expectations would be realistic. Believe in doing things right but it would take over 8k to paint this minimum just not worth it anymore.

Wouldnt complain about a little shine though.
Tried rubbing out a small spot, the darker color oughta come back Ok dont know if the white is chalked up. Well see.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Got your pm thanks
I would definitely take the time to prep it right if someone agreed to do what I want

Know requests like this get sketchy reactions but expectations would be realistic. Believe in doing things right but it would take over 8k to paint this minimum just not worth it anymore.

Wouldnt complain about a little shine though.
Tried rubbing out a small spot, the darker color oughta come back Ok dont know if the white is chalked up. Well see.
I understand...but if you prep it...mask it..and apply the paint. it would not take 8K. ASSUMING that the paint is NOT all rusted and damaged.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone scuff and clear steel paneled cars?

Quick Reply: Anyone scuff and clear steel paneled cars?