Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Lumpy rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 09:54 PM
Curveit
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lumpy rear bumper

I have a soft rear bumper for a C4, but the top of it has "waves". I was wondering if anyone has a fix...maybe a heat-gun and weights? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The amount of time it would take would blow your mind. BUT...yes...a heat gun a towel and a bucket of water would do it. It has to be removed..... and using weights is something I would not do....but you can do it if you feel the desire.

And I am sure you know that these waves will come back UNLESS who ever puts the cover back on is really careful on how tight they tighten the screws that go across the top of the cover.

DUB
Old 06-09-2016, 12:21 AM
Curveit
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking of turning the bumper upside down on a good flat 1x6 board, and heating it up with a heat-gun. Then laying a 1x4 on the inside with a few 10LB. weights. I did wonder about it possibly being over tightened, but I wasn't sure. It sounds like "par" for the work they did on my car. I sure thank you for all your help and ideas to the Forum over the years. GW
Old 06-09-2016, 05:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

GW,

If you want to use the 'upside down method with a 1X4' on it. Feel free...but I have dealt with urethane bumpers and they are rally finicky.

The problem with doing it upside down...you can not tell if you got it right or not and not put a crease in it. Just 'saying'.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Lumpy rear bumper

Quick Reply: Lumpy rear bumper