Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Product compatability West Systems and Vette Panel Adhesive

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 03:01 PM
tmny277
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Product compatability West Systems and Vette Panel Adhesive

Hello all I am about to begin a project of stripping and repairing my 74.
I understand it is SMC and I have West sytems epoxy for fiber glass repairs. But I am unsure what to use for filling smoothing etc.
Will Vette Panel Adhesive bond with the west systems epoxy? Would it be better to mix up a filler using the West Systems product line. If I mix up a west systems filler such as the 407 does it need a final glaze coat?
Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2016, 05:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I use the WEST SYSTEMS 105 resin and 206 hardener...and when the resin has cured..I will often times force cure it with my infrared heater. AND than I apply the VPA on it and I have yet to have an issue with it.

And for what it is worth...when I worked on a friends funny car team...at the drag strip...when I had to carbon fiber the body and do repairs when it tagged the wall or whatever. I used the WEST SYSTEMS resin/ hardener like I mentioned above and also used the VPA to get the repair looking good and I NEVER had any of my bodywork fly off due to 300 mph run or severe tire shake. The stuff stuck like it is supposed to do.

BUT...you can use whatever you feel comfortable with...and YES.....I WOULD apply a filler on top of my lamination to aid in making sure the surface is pinhole free. You might be surprised that if you look at your lamination..it may seem to be micro pinhole free...but when you go and shoot a product on it.....these pinholes show up with a vengeance.

DUB
Old 08-18-2016, 06:17 PM
tmny277
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great to hear you have first hand experience with the VPA over epoxy. Since I already have the VPA I'll give it a go on the door skin I've already repaired.

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2016, 06:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by tmny277
Great to hear you have first hand experience with the VPA over epoxy. Since I already have the VPA I'll give it a go on the door skin I've already repaired.

Thanks!
I would not steer you wrong.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Product compatability West Systems and Vette Panel Adhesive

Quick Reply: Product compatability West Systems and Vette Panel Adhesive