Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Primer on headlight cover?

Old 02-26-2017, 09:07 PM
68blvert
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Primer on headlight cover?

Original 50 year old lacquer paint. Tried to strip paint with razor blades. Blades would not even scratch it. Used citri-strip to remove paint. Worked like a charm. Coated it, waited 30 minutes, paint peeled right off with ease. Underneath was reddish-brown primer. Another coat for another 30 minutes again, peeled right off. BUT under that is/was a coat of something green. My question is what is this green coating between the bare metal and lacquer primer? As a side note the body has a coat of gray between the fiberglass and reddish-brown primer. Anybody know what the gray is? Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2017, 05:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I can not go by your screen name so...knowing what year you are referring to is a must...beacsue of changes and differences in teh 1968-1982 Corvette era.

The green primer on your headlgith door is an etch primer that was applied to the aluminum to bite into it and then a primer can be applied on that.

In many paint systems they will have a specific primer just for this purpose and often times will refer it to an 'chromate free' etch primer that must be primed on top of.

I do know many people chose to apply an epoxy primer. Before you do this...I would HIGHLY advise you contact the tech line of that paint manufacturer and confirm that is can be used as you want to use it.

And often times the medium dark gray coating that is on top of the red oxide primer is a sealer that GM used.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
68blvert (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 05:43 PM
68blvert
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Thank You DUB for the answer. I was on my way to work when I realized I hadn't stated the year. It's a 68 with a build date of December 67. Thanks again
Old 02-27-2017, 06:00 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 68blvert
Thank You DUB for the answer. I was on my way to work when I realized I hadn't stated the year. It's a 68 with a build date of December 67. Thanks again
Hopefully what I wrote made sense. I assumed it was a 1968...but I had to ask.

Also there are liquids that can be used to pre-prep the aluminum parts if a person wants to go that deep into it. I do it because I have these special products on hand at my shop... So many different methods that these headlight doors can be prepped and primed.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Primer on headlight cover?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Primer on headlight cover?