Weather Stripping Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 12:38 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Default Weather Stripping Question

Hi Guys,
My 04 is in need of new B Pillar / Halo weatherstripping.
I came across a post in the C5 tech section which seems to be a pretty good how to but ?

After reading the OP's how to in this thread :

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...procedure.html

I pulled out the FSM and it instructs you to add beads of GM#12345097 or equivalent,which in this case is Permatex Weather Strip Adhesive to certain area's which seem to correspond with the area's that already have the adhesive on the OEM weatherstrip.
No where in the OP's post do I see that he mentions adding adhesive ?

Have any of you Pro's who do this for a living just relied on the adhesive that already on the OEM piece ? I, for one, would go by what the FSM recommends. I have no problem replacing the weatherstripping myself, i just want to make sure it's done right the first time and it doesn't leak.
Thanks for your help,
Lou

Last edited by SG Lou; 03-22-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

When you remove the original weatherstrip...apply whatever product back it the same areas as what you saw when you took it out. Simple as that.

IF you do get leaks...and the leak can be identified as coming from the channel it is locked into...then applying a thin bead of the w/strip adhesive in the channel if needed to stop leaks.

When you wrote: Have any of you Pro's who do this for a living just relied on the adhesive that already on the OEM piece ? I very rarely have seen new weatherstrips that already have some type of sealant applied to them where there may be a thin piece of wax paper product applied to it that needs to be peeled off prior to installation. So you comment here is a bit confusing. If your new piece DOES have this flexible sealant applied to it..I would not worry about it but without photos of what you had and what you have now...I am only able to goo off of years of doing this stuff.

DUB
Old 03-22-2017, 06:03 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DUB
When you remove the original weatherstrip...apply whatever product back it the same areas as what you saw when you took it out. Simple as that.

IF you do get leaks...and the leak can be identified as coming from the channel it is locked into...then applying a thin bead of the w/strip adhesive in the channel if needed to stop leaks.

When you wrote: Have any of you Pro's who do this for a living just relied on the adhesive that already on the OEM piece ? I very rarely have seen new weatherstrips that already have some type of sealant applied to them where there may be a thin piece of wax paper product applied to it that needs to be peeled off prior to installation. So you comment here is a bit confusing. If your new piece DOES have this flexible sealant applied to it..I would not worry about it but without photos of what you had and what you have now...I am only able to goo off of years of doing this stuff.

DUB
DUB, if you click on the link I posted you can see the picture of the new halo weatherstripping that has the wax paper attached at 6 points.
Like I said in my original post, I too lean towards what the FSM says but the guy who replaced his did not mention anything adding a adhesive, only removing the old adhesive once he pulled the old W/S off. Check out his pictures in the link. I haven't yet ordered the new W/S ....want to make sure I got my story straight before I tackled it so I can't tell you if there is any applied adhesive or not.

Last edited by SG Lou; 03-22-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

OOOPS.....Missed that. I fell like a doofus!

Then...I still stand by what I wrote. If what you remove is like what you are going to install and you did not have any issues...then logic would command that you should have the same result.

TRUST ME...the factory service manual is a great source of information...but it sometimes is not always correct. I know improvements are found and added...but as like I wrote...if you had no problems..then why add more of something if it is not needed...but you can do as you wish.

DUB
Old 03-22-2017, 06:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Then...I still stand by what I wrote. If what you remove is like what you are going to install and you did not have any issues...then logic would command that you should have the same result.

TRUST ME...the factory service manual is a great source of information...but it sometimes is not always correct. I know improvements are found and added...but as like I wrote...if you had no problems..then why add more of something if it is not needed...but you can do as you wish.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 06:36 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DUB

DUB
Hey, we all miss stuff... lately I think I'm missing more then I remember, must be an age thing !

I'll purchase a tube of Permatex W/S adhesive and see what I got when I get around to pulling the old one off.

Found GM Parts Direct to be the cheapest at $211.00 for the W/S, going to order it now.

Thanks for your help !

Last edited by SG Lou; 03-22-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:56 PM
DUB
Race Director

I hope all goes well and goes in without any 'hiccups'.

DUB
Old 03-22-2017, 10:59 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Mr DUB, let me pick your brain one more time.

Here is the page from the FSM. Upper right hand corner under Installation Procedure #1...thumb grade sealer. Are they referring to 3M Strip Caulk aka dumdum ? If not then what the hell is thumb grade sealer ?

Also it seems an adhesive tape is applied to the OEM W/S...again, check out #2

Last edited by SG Lou; 03-22-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:40 PM
DUB
Race Director

YES...the black 3M strip caulk is what you can use....as the 'thumb grade' stuff. I use it with other pump grade products when I install weatherstrips on the older Corvettes. That 3M strip caulk is some good sticky stuff. I also use the 3M butyl tape in some areas where I need even more density than what the strip caulk can provide.

YEP...it is good that your weatherstrip comes in with all the needed tapes and stuff already on it. That is not always the case...so it is good that you are basically good to go.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 08:44 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DUB
YES...the black 3M strip caulk is what you can use....as the 'thumb grade' stuff. I use it with other pump grade products when I install weatherstrips on the older Corvettes. That 3M strip caulk is some good sticky stuff. I also use the 3M butyl tape in some areas where I need even more density than what the strip caulk can provide.

YEP...it is good that your weatherstrip comes in with all the needed tapes and stuff already on it. That is not always the case...so it is good that you are basically good to go.

DUB
Thank you Sir, for your time and your knowledge

Last edited by SG Lou; 03-23-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Thank you Sir, for your time and your knowledge
I do what I can for whatever it is worth.

DUB
Old 06-08-2018, 11:01 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Dub,
Resurrecting an old thread......I finally got around to replacing the old W/S and it was a SUCCESS....Thanks for the guidance

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oday-pics.html
Old 06-08-2018, 05:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

Glad that you got it back in to your expectations.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Weather Stripping Question

Quick Reply: Weather Stripping Question