Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

how to repair broken off edge on C5 fender

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 09:26 AM
tupeloC5
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default how to repair broken off edge on C5 fender

I've got a front fender that has a .25" deep x 1.25" long chunk missing out off the trailing edge near the upper door hinge. I've read that the fenders on the C5 are made of some kind of urethane. What would be the proper way to fix this? I wouldn't think I could get bondo to stick and stay on such a thin edge. Would a plastic welding kit work like this cheapo from harbor freight?

https://www.harborfreight.com/weldin...kit-60662.html

I know where I can get a fender in the correct color delivered for $324. Should I just toss this fender and buy the new one? I'm already planning on repainting the door so I wasn't sure of the economics of making a lasting fix on this fender and then painting. I sure don't want to put the $ and effort into it only to have the repair fall out of the fender the following week!
Old 07-25-2017, 05:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I cannot comment unless I see what you have wrong.

I believe not all of the fenders are urethane ...I can almost swear that I have fixed some that were SMC and I DO KNOW that I have prepared carbon fiber fenders on a Z06.

I know the rear quarters are SMC and I have few front fenders around the shop so I can look and see if any of them are SMC.

DUB
Old 07-25-2017, 07:23 PM
tupeloC5
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 07-26-2017, 05:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Thanks for the photo!

Could this be repaired...YES.

How much time would it take....I have no idea until the fender was removed and I could get it prepped.

Would it take special filers and cleaners due to it being a plastic fender..YES....and seeing how it is such a small spot...the costs of all of the needed products would be kinda high.

Hard to say if getting another fender is the way to go because I know it can be fixed...but if the repair product posts and your time equal to almost the cost of the other fender...that is when you have to decide.

BONDO is out of the question...that is for sure.

And for the solder iron tool..I am not to sure about that also becasue I have not used nor would not use it...not saying that it would not work. You would have to try it and see if what you welded on can be ripped off or if it actually molded into the fender itself. I have some friends at production body shops that have the plastic welder and they say it works...I just have not tried it to verify how good they actually are.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 07-26-2017 at 05:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To how to repair broken off edge on C5 fender

Quick Reply: how to repair broken off edge on C5 fender