Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Maybe it's weird but I couldn't think of a better place to ask

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 05:52 PM
gwkraft
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe it's weird but I couldn't think of a better place to ask

I don't have a Corvette, wish I did. But, I do have an airplane that the builder insists was painted, in part, Corvette Chrome Yellow from the early 2000 model years. I've searched all the way back to 1999 and can only find Velocity and Millennium yellows. I need to buy any amount from a touchup can to a gallon. Can anyone steer me in the right direction to get this? And, is this really a Corvette color? Thanks and I'd be happy to give a free ride and lunch to anyone who comes up with a solution!
Old 07-31-2017, 06:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The photo is great but photos are deceiving an trying to 100% confirm that this is a Corvette color is impossible.

Now knowing where you live due to not filling out the Public Profile so we basically know where you live ( nothing specific)....because if you live in a big city in the United States,....PPG areas reps may have the camera that can take a snapshot of the color and they can draw from a data base and mix the color for you.

And ...even if it was a Corvette color means absolutely nothing at all...due to...when the person who mixed the yellow for the paint job the plane has on it currently...IF that person did not EXACTLY add the amounts of toners as the formula required...the color can be off.

Because if the person mixing the paint added or left out 10 grams of white toner...it would not throw off the color to the naked eye...BUT...if you mixed the paint formula exactly as to how it was designed...and painted it...the color will not match.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
gwkraft (07-31-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 02:49 AM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 198 Posts

pull off a piece and take it to paint shop. look thru the books, or have them color match
gwkraft (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 10:26 AM
gwkraft
5th Gear

Originally Posted by NONN37
pull off a piece and take it to paint shop. look thru the books, or have them color match
We'll, I may have to do that but it's a big job. There's only one removable piece that color that I could take anywhere and it's the upper cowling. And a big piece that is to take anywhere. Is there such a thing as Corvette Chrome Yellow in any model year?
Old 08-01-2017, 07:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by gwkraft
We'll, I may have to do that but it's a big job. There's only one removable piece that color that I could take anywhere and it's the upper cowling. And a big piece that is to take anywhere. Is there such a thing as Corvette Chrome Yellow in any model year?
You can not go by this name and get caught up trying to find it becasue it will not matter if you do. I work with and deal with in paint every day and I am just trying to save you a bunch of effort that will not make a difference at all.

The color that was applied on that plane was mixed by someone who you do not know if they mixed the color exactly to formula due to the large amount that was used.

The PPG area rep will come to you. Seeing you are in Maryland...there HAS TO BE a PPG rep that has the camera that can take a snap shot and get you a color you can shoot test panel and check. Call you local PPG pant supplier and ask them about the camera ...they will or SHOULD know what you are asking for should get you in contact with the area rep. The reason why I know this....I have my rep stop by and take snap shots and get me paint formulas form time to time.

OR the area rep can coem by with the DELFLEET pant chips and you can look though the colors and find one really close while he is taking a snap shot of it.

Lastly ...you can send a part off of the plane to the actual color lab where they will make a paint formula and color for you that will be a blend able match. Or oyu can take the part off the plane to the color lab which I believe is in Ohio.

Here is a link that I found and if you look carefully...regardless that the paint name is the same....the Ditzler paint code can be different.

So not ge tos casught up ina the name of the color at this point.
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...page=1&rows=50

DUB
gwkraft (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 10:31 AM
gwkraft
5th Gear

DUB, you've convinced me. It won't be easy to pull the cowling and take it to PPG but that's what I'm going to do. Thanks to both you and NONN37 for your sage advice. Anytime either of you are in Southern Maryland let me know and that lunch is yours.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

Have you tried to contact a PPG paint store in your area and see if the rep can stop by and save you a BUNCH of hassle???

They would more than likely love it to come by and see the plane.

DUB
Old 08-02-2017, 05:32 PM
gwkraft
5th Gear

I live out in the sticks and the nearest dealer would probably be 35-50 miles away. But I'll check.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by gwkraft
I live out in the sticks and the nearest dealer would probably be 35-50 miles away. But I'll check.
It is worth a try....I know some of the reps around here have to drive quite a ways for customers....or you could fly.

DUB
Old 09-01-2017, 01:48 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Great looking plane. I've always wanted to build a kitplane. Is that an RV? If so, which model, if not what is it? What engine are you running? Beautiful.

Get notified of new replies

To Maybe it's weird but I couldn't think of a better place to ask

Quick Reply: Maybe it's weird but I couldn't think of a better place to ask