72 headlight light doors/lids

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 09:38 AM
damvette
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 72 headlight light doors/lids

Hello,
I've being restoring my 72 for 4 years now, taking it apart, rebuilding the parts, putting it back together. One job was the rebuild of the headlight assemblies. After rebuilding them I did put these back into the car, so I do know how to remove and replace them.
The car now is at the paint shop and they are asking about removing them. The say difficult to paint the rims correctly, really need to paint them off the car.
I told them I believe they will get damaged when being installed. They question getting a good paint on the rims if they paint them in the car.
I'm looking for advise on what you think, should they be able to paint on car or do they need to be removed? Should I/they remove them and if very careful install them without damage?
thanks,
Derrick
Old 08-13-2017, 01:01 PM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 198 Posts

there is a part that is difficult to get paint on when installed. Color coverage will be poor here. You cant paint with the doors up because it headlight door will cover the nose section.

Easiest way to do it is to paint off car. or touch it up after paint.

another method is to paint it like door jambs. lift the doors, mask off the body and top of door and use a detail gun to paint the back lower parts. lower door mask the gaps and spray like regular.

https://i.imgur.com/PO7HNWb.jpg
Old 08-13-2017, 05:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by NONN37
there is a part that is difficult to get paint on when installed. Color coverage will be poor here. You cant paint with the doors up because it headlight door will cover the nose section.

Easiest way to do it is to paint off car. or touch it up after paint.

another method is to paint it like door jambs. lift the doors, mask off the body and top of door and use a detail gun to paint the back lower parts. lower door mask the gaps and spray like regular.

https://i.imgur.com/PO7HNWb.jpg
100%!!!!

YES...I also have trimmed out the headlight doors BEFORE I installed them so I can get that pesky back corner area...BUT...I have also done like what 'NONN37' stated. I remove the bolt that hold the headlight door and raise it up higher and using a touch up gun ...trim them out...then let the door drop and trim out the opening for the headlight in the top hood surround panel.

Then...when it is all painted..I come back in the next day after the clearcoat has dried and apply the clear to these pesky corners so when the headlight bezel is installed...the paint will match in shine.

I have also painted the headlight doors out of the car entirely and installed them with NO DAMAGE to the paint job. That can be a bit nerve wracking...but it can be done.

DUB
Old 08-13-2017, 07:39 PM
damvette
Advanced

THanks for the inputs.

I always thought, just mask and paint them in the up position to get the back and the rims, then when dry, lower and paint the whole car.....But the shop wants them off to do as they think.
Ok so I think I will remove to aid the job/shop.
QUestion? Is it possible to remove just the lid by removing only one of its pivots? THe side easiest to get to, front of rad? If I remove the 3bolts holding the pivot do you think it will with a wiggle come out? If not then the other side beside the fender pivot will need to be removed, but this side is mucho difficult to get my fingers/hand in that tight space?
thanks again for your inputs,
Derrick
Old 08-13-2017, 11:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

The two collars with the Allen head set screws MUST be loosened so the collars will move inwards. Then the three bolts on each pivot area MUST be removed.

Then obvious 3/4" headed bolt that holds the headlight door to the linkage....and THEN if you have the stop bracket mounted on the headlgith door ...it must also be removed.

The headlight door WILL come out that way by sliding the door to one side and it will come out....while also holding it up about half way.

DUB
Old 08-14-2017, 08:38 AM
damvette
Advanced

Yes, kind of what I thought, what should be an easy job is not.
Okay so I will have to decide what is easier. Remove each lid or remove the whole assembly. Its probably easier to remove the lids but then more difficult to install them without scratching them compared to the whole assembly.
Thanks again for your info, Derrick
Old 08-14-2017, 06:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Derrick,

Not that you asked...and what the paint shop is asking is there way of doing it...which is fine...and not knowing what type of paint job you are getting... BUT....BEFORE you take these out..I would have to make sure that they fit PERFECTLY in regards to being flush and the gaps around the doors. These door can be kinda messed up and I WOULD HATE that they ASSUMED that they were fine and painted them...only for YOU to find out when you go to install them that they were not right.

I would make sure they fit perfectly in all aspects ...THEN remove them for primer and painting.

I might and that when you have the headlight door out. I would carefully go over them and file or grind any of the excessive flashing from the casting and carefully look at the underside rear back edge of the doors.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 72 headlight light doors/lids

Quick Reply: 72 headlight light doors/lids