Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Full repaint - my method

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 06:09 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

I was planning to use the palm sander to remove the clearcoat and then use a manual sanding block to get everything flat.

I got it used, has the self generating vacuum feature as well...

Car has the original paint, so I'm not planning to strip it down to the fiberglass or anything.... Unless i find something that is... lol

So far my plan has been to collect a nice row of box fans, then dexter my garage up, build the paint booth using furnace filters to keep the dust out...

I have lots to still figure out before i jump in...

And for my quincy, i pretty much decided that was the right compressor for me.
i did find one used but the guy wanted more than a new one costs...
A coworker has a method to generate coupon codes for lowes, so i also got 10% off..

for the break-in cycle i used a laser thermometer to watch the temperature, and a leaf blower strapped into the shipping crate to keep it under control.

​​​​​​​Anyways the prep has me the most concerned, i want to use the palm sander, but I'm also leaning away from it...
Old 02-16-2018, 06:14 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

And that's the dream, work on something pretty vs the faded turd i currently have.

The car looks good from the sides, the back view was ok until some dude road raging at me hit it...
​​​​​​​lol
Old 02-17-2018, 04:17 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default Vette

Hi E, Just wanted to chime in on the painting of a car. Something I also wanted to do. I also have a Quincy compressor which really helps and works well. I went the hand route for wet sanding and yes it is painfully slow. The color you chose looks awesome. You are right with getting or having good equipment. I finally settled on a GTI DeVillbess gun. I used PPG products which worked well understanding I had nothing to compare it too. Dust is always a culprit for sure.
Nice post with pictures and I would like to do more if farther time permits.

RVZIO

Old 03-07-2018, 05:17 PM
socal_Dad
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Wow! That looks super nice! Sanding and buffing can really turn something around! I sure like that color too!

I found a guy with a struggling body shop business who is a super cool guy and always looking for ways to keep his guys working and his shop bills paid. When I have the next project to spray I'm going to rent his booth. The big shops will laugh at you, but there are still small shops out there willing to support a hobby guy. I figure this will solve the booth issue, light issue, dry clean air issue, etc. But I've done it you way lots of times and it's rewarding, but also nerve racking!

Quick Reply: Full repaint - my method