Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

How much is too much

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 10:27 PM
HvilleDogDoc
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is too much

Replacing the rear clip on a '73 coupe. All skirts / guards have been sanded down to fiberglass on the body. The replacement is a one piece rear end from ACI fiberglass. When I get everything lined up there is at least a 1/2" to 3/4" gap between clip and skirts. I have been using 3M 8115 to bond panels up to this point. It is too thin to hold its shape during the drying process with this large of a gap. I feel like there is too much area to use shims along all strips. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Then this is the time when you remove the rear clip...laminate on more resin and mat to close that gap....re-install the clip can check it so it is now the gap that will allow the adhesive to work as you intend it to....OR...remove the rear splash shields and put them back in where you need them to go.

DUB
Old 11-17-2017, 06:07 PM
HvilleDogDoc
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. That make complete sense. Sometimes you find yourself stuck in a corner and you forget you can turn around.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by HvilleDogDoc
Thank you. That make complete sense. Sometimes you find yourself stuck in a corner and you forget you can turn around.
Boy do I know how that can get.....especially when I get myself inside my own head.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To How much is too much

Quick Reply: How much is too much