'72 front clip removal/installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 04:54 PM
Tewski
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'23-'24

Default '72 front clip removal/installation

I'm working on a frame off on my 72, and need to replace the front clip. The current one is pretty much scrap, the only decent part is the RH fender skirt. As I'm waiting parts for the frame work, I would like to remove the current clip.

Here is a link to the overall build of the car.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-a-72-a.html

Here are a few pictures Of the damage:

I purchased a replacement front clip off of a '72 from forum vendor SoCalVette and it should be arriving in the next week or so.

The approach i was thinking of using for removal is remove all hardware/electrical/vacuum/A.C/etc. and the radiator and support and basically sawzall near the firewall and then use a heat gun to break the bonds to the body of the remaining pieces. I know there is a bond across the wiper box, I assume there are vertical bonds on the fender, are there any others bonds or fasteners? I know a sawzall is brute force, but the whole clip is basically scrap.

Thanks
Brian
Old 01-05-2018, 05:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Are you planning on putting this front clip on when the body is off the frame???

IF so...best of luck to you.( in my opinion)

I WOULD NEVER put a front clip on a Corvette when it is not bolted back on the frame and proper shimmed. Even if I knew I was going to have to take the body back off the frame for whatever...I would install the front clip when it the body is back on the frame.

But if you want to do it off the frame...maybe someone will come in and help you out....because ...in my opinion....you are asking for problems.

DUB
Old 01-05-2018, 05:18 PM
Tewski
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'23-'24

Originally Posted by DUB
Are you planning on putting this front clip on when the body is off the frame???
No, I definitely plan on having it on the frame. Right now I just want to remove the old one and plan on putting the new clip in storage until I have the body I the frame.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tewski
No, I definitely plan on having it on the frame. Right now I just want to remove the old one and plan on putting the new clip in storage until I have the body I the frame.
I WOULD NOT do that at this time.

IF you go and try to put the body back on with NO front clip...and use the straps that are offered that clip onto the rocker channels...the rear will be super heavy and the body will tilt to about a 45 degree angle. It needs the weight hanging out off the front to keep the cabin section basically level.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Tewski (01-05-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 05:02 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default vette

You don't want to pull of the damaged clip on the dolly. I removed the Eckler clip on my 69 on the dolly and it pulled a giant wheelie. The back end went right to the floor as the dolly shot forward. The only saving grace was before I started I stuck the pulleys I used to lift the body off back on the car. Thank god I did that. Very important to brace the rear of the car if you think you want to try that.

RVZIO
The following users liked this post:
Tewski (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 05:49 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by rvzio
You don't want to pull of the damaged clip on the dolly. I removed the Eckler clip on my 69 on the dolly and it pulled a giant wheelie. The back end went right to the floor as the dolly shot forward. The only saving grace was before I started I stuck the pulleys I used to lift the body off back on the car. Thank god I did that. Very important to brace the rear of the car if you think you want to try that.

RVZIO
Awesome REAL WORLD experience.

This is why...just for those who may read this and think of doing this...the wood body dollies can get you in trouble IF you do not figure out a way to SECURE the cabin of the Corvette to it. OBVIOUSLY it does depend if wheels are under the #4 body mount area on the dollie.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To '72 front clip removal/installation

Quick Reply: '72 front clip removal/installation