Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Hood Edge Repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 12:01 PM
Flye
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Edge Repair

This is a repeat of a post I had in C3 area, but was recommended that I 'move' the post to the Paint and Body. Sorry if there was a way to actually 'move' it, but I never found one. So this is repeat of same question with picture:

If I can find someone that knows Corvette fiberglass within a decent radius of Southeast Virginia, I'm still going to take this to have it fixed by a professional. But on the chance that I wind up tackling myself, are there any immediate "do's and don'ts" on how to correctly fix a corner on a C3 hood? I've done some fiberglass work but usually in a hidden patch or strength situation. This is going to be front and center. My main concern is the 'top surface' that will ultimately be painted. I don't want there to be an obvious patch there and I don't just want to wind up with bondo on it just to hide it initially with it showing up later. I also don't want to wind up grinding out half the hood because I over sand every time, etc.

The damage is obvious. The more I look at it, especially in the picture, it looks like someone may have just used a filler in it at some point, and the filler is now breaking out leaving the original damage.All of which will be ground out.

Also, if advising, it would help on specific resins and top layers as there appear to be a lot of variances. Some places say mandatory to use Isophthalic and others that a was additive is needed on top coat or it stays tacky..... Some say use gelcoat on top, others say never use gelcoat.... All of these issues lead me to just asking here. Figure there is a lot of expert opinion.

There is also a crack in the support frame/structure on the underside of the hood, but that isn't as big of an issue on final look. I think I can handle that one via the standard repair of grind, resin, mat or strands, resin, etc. My previous efforts that are closer to that type work. The edge and being on top surface is a bit more tricky for me.

Tips? Thanks,

Thanks for any help. OH, and I'm totally open to suggestions on good fiberglass repair in Virginia, northeastern NC or Eastern Shore. I know of Fantomworks. This might be too small for them.

Again, sorry if there was a way to "MOVE" this without duplicating most of the original post.

Thanks,
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2018, 05:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

What year is this hood? It appears to be a SMC hood...but knowing the year would help.

As for the crack(s) in the understructure. As you seem to already know...they are just as important as what the outside of the panel has on it.

Which leads me to now needing a photo taken a bit further away so I can see where this damage is actually located on the hood. Because it can make a difference also.

Also one form the backside where this damage is located and it can be kinda close like the photo you have already posted so I can see something I need to see.

Also I need a written description from you if you can tell if this damaged appears to have been previously repaired and IF you can tell if someone swiped a coat of body filler on it or not.

my concern is the area above the words: 'look for hairline''. I am looking at what appears to be red oxide primer that is still remaining on the panel but the paint that has chipped off seems to be rather thick.

DUB

And within the circle your put on your photo. In the top right hand area of the damage ...it looks like I am also seeing red oxide primer and what appears to be a body filler applied on it.

DUB
Old 03-13-2018, 07:21 AM
Flye
Intermediate

Default Follow Up to the questions - Hood Edge Repair

It is a C3 hood. I bought it used so I can't state definitely on year. I'm guessing '72 based on the location of the hood support holes.

The pictures will probably explain location, but the primary point of concern is on 'front right corner' of the hood. I'm attaching one of the large underside crack as well, but just noticed you'd asked one for backside of the corner damage, which I didn't think to take. Can add one tonight. The damage on the corner is on what I'll call the 'top skin' and did not seem to get to the underside frame support.

It appears to me that someone has tried to fix the corner before. With nothing but filler. Maybe just a heavy swipe and sand of gelcoat? That appears to me what is now just popping back out. To me, it looks like the damage ran all the way across that section in the picture and the white material in between the two open areas is just the part that hasn't fallen out yet. I'm guessing all of this was done long ago.

Lastly, the 'big crack' on the underside support frame is on the opposite side of the hood from the corner crack. The way I wiped it off with thinner may be painting deceptive picture, but almost looks like someone had tried to do a limited duration repair there as well. I'd have to take a pick to it to tell if that is a skim coat of resin or not. I can grind all of that out when the time comes.

The small crack will be ground out as well, but there is no 'flex' on that area at this point, just needs to be fixed.

And do I go to West Marine and buy Evercoat Resin (non-laminating I assume?) or do I go to more of an online company like Fiberglass Supply and get their stuff?

Thanks and sorry I forgot to get the underside pic of the corner damage.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Flye; 03-13-2018 at 04:36 PM. Reason: asked question about brand of Resin
Old 03-13-2018, 07:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Plan on using what i recommended for right now. DO NOT buy EVERCOAT SMC resin for this repair, Even though I love EVERCOATS products....I have never had any success with their SMC resin. Buy the WEST SYSTEMS resin from West Marine and I would also suggest buying the pumps that can go into the containers so you get the correct ratios when pumping them.

NOW...the understructure is polyester fiberglas which you can use polyester resin on that...or you can also use the WEST SYSTEMS resin on that also.

Until I see the color of the material GM used for the outer hood skin..I cannot 100% confirm that it is SMC...but it appears to be that it is. So...when you get it sanded down to the bare hood skin...post a photo before you go out and buy the WEST SYSTEMS resin...because if you do not need to have it oyu can use polyester resin.,..which EVERCOATS polyester resin is okay to use.

DUB
Old 03-14-2018, 07:08 AM
Flye
Intermediate

Familiar with West Systems stuff and have the pumps. Will update with picture of bare hood later in week. Thanks,
Old 03-14-2018, 06:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Flye
Familiar with West Systems stuff and have the pumps. Will update with picture of bare hood later in week. Thanks,
It is awesome that you know the West Systems epoxy resin and have worked with it. i am sure you will get this repaired.

DUB
Old 03-15-2018, 02:52 PM
Flye
Intermediate

Default Updated Pics

I'm only familiar with the West System process through very 'rough' applications. I still need to know how to finish the top surface of the hood to point of it being paintable. Use a filler on a final coat? other?

I'm attaching two more pictures, one of the backside of the broken corner and one of where the paint is off the hood. That's not sanding, it is where it has just been scraped/bladed off. Does that give you what you need on seeing it to tell if SMC?

Thanks for help.
Attached Images   
Old 03-15-2018, 07:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Knowing that oyuar e using the West Systems epoxy resin. it does not matter if it is SMC or not.

I use Vette Panel Adhesive form EVERCOAT ( part # 100870 quart)- (part #100880 gallon)to cover all my lamination where it is important enough to cause it to be primed and painted.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Hood Edge Repair

Quick Reply: Hood Edge Repair