Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Painting C1 steel wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 05:40 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Painting C1 steel wheels

looking for a paint recommendation for painting stock C1 steel wheels. Wheels will have "dog dish" hub caps so major portion will show. Paint needs to be tough enough to not chip from hub cap install. I do not want to powder coat the wheels.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I would use an acrylic enamel an NOT apply it too thick. Thicker paint is more susceptible to chipping than a thin coat of paint.

There is 'scratch resistant' clear out on the market...but I do not know that is chip resistant.

Not knowing the color you want them...and if you are worried about what 'others' think. Many times when it comes to wheels like this that will eventually need to be touched up...I use an aerosol paint so touch up is easy. And if enough thin coats of the aerosol paint is applied ....the color does hold up really well.

I know what I have mentioned is kinda all over the place. I have shot wheels using mixed paint and out of a paint gun and also aerosol and I bet you could not tell which one what done with which paint.

The only major benefit of using commercial paint is that it can hold up to a bit more environmental crap than the aerosol paint can.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
jerry gollnick (04-04-2018)

Quick Reply: Painting C1 steel wheels