Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

C4 Black window trim flaking off

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 02:44 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Default C4 Black window trim flaking off

This is on a 96 C4. Any suggestion on how to fix window trim that is flaking off? I just replaced the weather stripping 2 years ago, so hoping to not have to pull that. It's strange, the paint is basically just flaking off in solid chucks like it wasn't prepped right at the factory or something. I'm guessing it's stainless steel too because I see no signs of rust after several months. Would something like Plasti Dip work?

Old 07-09-2018, 07:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

On the vertical trim at the back of the door glass..I remove them and then media blast it to give it some etch...then apply an etch primer and paint it and they hold up rather well. I have not tried using the 'Plasti-dip' due to it really does not stick...it just coats it and it can be peeled off.

I generally do not do any repairs to this rear vertical trim when it is on the car. But do as you wish. Now I have gone in and shot some etch primer on them but he owner knows it is just a quick 'patch job' and I am not liable if the paint comes back of in a year or so.

The windshield pillar is also the stainless steel...and I use an etch primer and paint it and hope for the best.

Keep in mind that if it is starting to flake off like what you have now...it is more than likely going to do it also in the areas that have not yet peeled off in time...as a rule of thumb.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
bac22 (07-09-2018)

Quick Reply: C4 Black window trim flaking off