Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Use VPA or West Resin for these repairs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 10:22 PM
Mike H.
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Use VPA or West Resin for these repairs?

1970 Corvette with factory panels. Have a few cracks and will also need to fill and shift the fender bolt hole a bit as well. Any product recommendations and techniques
will be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike
Old 07-31-2018, 03:25 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Mike I might want to clean up that area a little more to see what's left. Looks to be some bondo or something around there. Don't want to make a repair over a product that's been there awhile. Once that's done you can see whats really left. I have a feeling you might be using both products for the repair. Just an observation!

RVZIO

Last edited by SB64; 07-31-2018 at 03:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
csherman (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 10:00 AM
Mike H.
Instructor

Originally Posted by rvzio
Mike I might want to clean up that area a little more to see what's left. Looks to be some bondo or something around there. Don't want to make a repair over a product that's been there awhile. Once that's done you can see whats really left. I have a feeling you might be using both products for the repair. Just an observation!

RVZIO
I will be definitely stripping all the paint away and grinding down to a fresh base for the repairs. I was just wondering what to plug the hole with and were glass and resin would be the most appropriate.
Thanks, Mike
Old 07-31-2018, 11:08 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,460 Likes on 742 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rvzio

RVZIO
Agree with DUB - strip that back - remove all the paint and body filler - get down to glass - you might find more surprises...... !
Mike H. (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 12:10 PM
70Yellowbird
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Mike,
I had less damage than yours in that same area. I ground out the glass on the backside and used cloth and resin in layers to build it back up. Then ground from the finish side and added more cloth and resin, before trimming to the correct profile. I now have the VPA to go on top. I would just glass over the bolt hole and re-drill it (based on what your photo shows). If you adjust the location of the hole, would the bolt still fit into the bumper?
Also, unless you have already looked, it would be a good idea to make sure your headlamp reinforcement is not separated from the body anywhere (mine was, on almost the entire right side).

Good luck,
Joe

Last edited by 70Yellowbird; 07-31-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Mike H. (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 06:40 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I gotta wait til I see it when it has been cleaned up and ready for the repair to begin.

You can use mat and resin ..and there are also other methods to fixing this that would not require mat and resin that can also make this area darn near bullet proof.

I am more concerned about the seam separating and showing a crisp clean line...and not so much on what it takes to fill in the hole.

DUB
Mike H. (07-31-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 07:24 AM
20round
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Mike H.
I will be definitely stripping all the paint away and grinding down to a fresh base for the repairs. I was just wondering what to plug the hole with and were glass and resin would be the most appropriate.
Thanks, Mike
mike, any progress on your repair? any pictures?...thanks troy
Old 08-22-2018, 03:05 PM
Mike H.
Instructor

20 Round,
Ugh, your going to make me post my first foray into the fiberglass world. Well of course once I got the paint off and old repair bondo out, it was worst than anticipated. Missing pieces, cracked along the side marker light and missing 70% of the bonding strip end. I live close to Corvette Image so I bought a bonding strip for the end piece (best $ spent for my expertise). I have used only mat and the west system starting with a couple layers from the back and one from the front. I"m file shaping it now. Any input or help is alway welcome.

Thanks, Mike

Old 08-22-2018, 03:52 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

I am not familiar with that system but I am familiar with first time stuff. My first attempt at spraying a car. My test panel and first time triggering a paint gun on a car part. Oh well, Live and learn!

RVZIO

Mike H. (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 07:03 PM
DUB
Race Director

Your repair seems to look good but without seeing it before you put the bonding strip in and how it was prepped or how you bonded the new bonding strip to the body it is hard to provide any more than that.

DUB
Old 08-22-2018, 07:19 PM
Mike H.
Instructor

Hey Dub,
Its a 1970...I actually clamped the bonding strip (covered with wax paper) in place and used it as a form. Worked pretty well. I've been grinding and sanding the panels down to new fiberglass for prep and blow all the panels clean. I think it was you that advised me not to use any kind of solvent on the new glass. I will do the same before I use VPA and clamps to replace the bonding strip end. Sound OK?

Thanks, Mike
Old 08-23-2018, 10:45 AM
DUB
Race Director

Yes...your pan of attack on getting it repaired does sound good to me.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Use VPA or West Resin for these repairs?

Quick Reply: Use VPA or West Resin for these repairs?