Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Bird cage rust prevention

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 06:54 PM
FM73project
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bird cage rust prevention

Looking for advice on sealing the bare metal on my birdcage to prevent rust. I have removed the firewall and windshield to make necessary repairs. Thanks
Old 08-25-2018, 08:51 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

What about the rest of the bird cage??? From what you described you have only accessed the front of it. So is that the only area you are concerned about???

If you are not going to have the entire bird cage removed. Then my suggestion is using a rust encapsulater product and apply it . Something like POR 15. IF you use the POR 15 product you must use the MARINE CLEAN and METAL READY(acid etch) products to ensure a maximum bond. IF in doubt....call POR 15 and talk to them about that.

Epoxy primer and other rust converting products are available for use but without any photos or a descriptions of the condition of your birdcage..I cannot go any further other than whatever you use. make sure you contact your windshield glass installing company and verify IF that product is suitable for use on the surface of the pinchweld where the windshield urethane is to be applied to make sure it will bond an not potentially shear off in an accident.

DUB
Old 08-25-2018, 12:11 PM
FM73project
Advanced

Thanks Dub,
The birdcage is exposed from the rear of the t tops forward. I have the Firewall removed and have made necessary repairs.
Questions:
1. Will Ospho work to prep the metal for POR 15?
2. If so, can you apply Evercoat Fibertech over Ospho?
I am going to have the car professionally painted but want to seal everything properly before installation of Firewall and front clip.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

QUESTION 1: Call POR 15 and ask them. I wrote what they specify and now you are asking if something else will work and make it so they would guarantee the POR 15 will adhere. I use what POR 15 says to sue adn do not waver on it. They designed and engineered this product so they know what is best.

QUESTION 2; I do not use this Ospho stuff so you would also need to contact EVERCOAT and ask them if the products you plan on using will adhere.

I do not know where or how or why you are using the Fibertech...which also raises concerns on how it is being used,....but that it all up to you.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 08-25-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:14 PM
FM73project
Advanced

Thanks
Old 08-25-2018, 01:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Not knowing if you know this or not but I do this work for living and I can say that knowing what to use and where to use it can make all the difference in how something gets repaired. Not knowing what you are doing with a specific product is up to you. And if you come back saying you have a problem due to product 'x' has failed...then you will then realize what I wrote make sense and has validity.

DUB
Old 09-01-2018, 07:33 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Here's a pic of my 69 after finishing welding repairs, I backed my trailer into his blast booth , then his paint booth area .

got it coated with international Interguard 269 which is a 2 part primer sealer. I also sprayed some rust corrosion preventative inside the box sections.

Last edited by bazza77; 09-01-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bird cage rust prevention

Quick Reply: Bird cage rust prevention